1.    #1  
    i'm looking for anyone who can lend some advice as to why a treo is better than just having a cell phone and a laptop. i travel 10-12 days per month for work and having a treo seems like a great suggestion...but what about when i'm not traveling or working? doesn't having that thing seem a little cluncky and inconvenient? please help!
    If you have to be convinced, don't get it, IMO
    1 | 2
    What I can tell you is that is is very nice to have a BIG phone book and and workable calendar along with the phone. Not that you can't get a phonebook and calendar aren't available in a plain cell phone, but the PDA format means you don't have to play the "9-key shuffle" to enter the information. That is my op, in any case.
    In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
    Only way you'll truly know is by using the device - get one, use it for the 15 day trial and return it if it you're still not convinced.

As for me, I cannot now imagine not having the Treo - it's that efficient to me.
    It's no better a phone than probably any regular "free" cell phones you'd get.

It's certainly not as powerful as a laptop.

But it's a lot easier to take in and out of your pocket than a laptop, when you need to check emails real quick, or look up an address and get a map of it's location.
    Last edited by Insertion; 05/11/2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: sumtimes I kant spel too guud
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Personally, I can't stand small phones. I have big hands & a big frame & small phones just look stupid on me. Besides that fact, the conveniences I have found far outweigh the "inconvenience" of having a large phone. It is always right at my side so I can check appointments for the day while commuting to work (can't simply whip out a laptop on a crowded NYC train to look at my outlook calendar) I can store a ton of contacts categorized to fit my needs, not to mention the slew of available palm apps that make the T650 so much more fun & useful (Directory Assistant, Pocket Tunes, avantgo, etc)

If you are carrying a palm as an organizer, a blackberry for emails & a cell phone to make phonecalls, I don't see any reason you wouldn't want to go with an all-in-one device like a treo.

Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    If you have to be convinced, don't get it
    MFizzel - exactly what I was thinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Itís the PDA factor. The Treo is a PDA with a full-pledged calendar, appointments, alarms, SMS and so on and so forth. While your laptop has all that stuff too, you donít need to carry it everywhere. So think PDA
    Or else the Chick will come stalk you and peck your eyeball out!

of course, she'll have changed her avatar by this evening, and this post will make no sense at all

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    justtav,

I'm with MFizzel, if you have to wonder, don't get it.

I was frustrated with carrying a seperate PDA and phone.

The expensive choice of a Treo (rather than a cheaper phone with a calander) was easy. In my work I have to be tethered to email, even when on a customer site. Also, I love gadgets and the palm has the best software and pedigree... So chose the Treo over the O2, iPaq or other mobile PC.

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    my advice is to try it yourself and if you don't like it return it...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by justtav
    i'm looking for anyone who can lend some advice as to why a treo is better than just having a cell phone and a laptop. i travel 10-12 days per month for work and having a treo seems like a great suggestion...but what about when i'm not traveling or working? doesn't having that thing seem a little cluncky and inconvenient? please help!
    Not our job, chaio..
  11.    #11  
    to all who responded with useful information, thanks very much. i think the 15 day trial sounds like a great idea.

to others who only added comments like "not our job", why waste your time replying at all? i was asking for some opinions of other users on a website i thought was the correct forum.
    to all who responded with useful information, thanks very much. i think the 15 day trial sounds like a great idea.

to others who only added comments like "not our job", why waste your time replying at all? i was asking for some opinions of other users on a website i thought was the correct forum.
    To be fair, it is not anyones job to "convince" you, the choice is entirely up to you. The thread title gives the impression that you want or need convincing.

...and to add to that, any opinions you're seeking ( or convincing as you put it ) are within the thousands of posts on this forum, so do some searching and reading up on the device.
    1 | 2
    One factor not mentioned so far is the ability to (fairly) easily sync the info from the treo to your laptop. This way all the info is up to date. Also, if you only carry a cell phone and a laptop and you need an address or appt on your laptop, then you gotta boot it up and then shut it down. With the treo...you get instant satisfaction :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

15.    #15  
    since this is a "treo general chat", i thought my question was legitimate. and like i said, i did receive some helpful comments, which i do appreciate. i didn't realize the point of an open forum such as this was to criticeze people for asking some experienced users for their opinion. if you didn't like the nature of my question, and the title of my thread was not worded as you thought it should have been, why not just ignore it and move on?
    since this is a "treo general chat", i thought my question was legitimate. and like i said, i did receive some helpful comments, which i do appreciate. i didn't realize the point of an open forum such as this was to criticeze people for asking some experienced users for their opinion. if you didn't like the nature of my question, and the title of my thread was not worded as you thought it should have been, why not just ignore it and move on?
    I did answer your original question, and was just giving some advice on why you were getting these "negative" responses.

So even when I try to help, it's not good...

17.    #17  
    ok, insertion...i understand. sorry for getting defensive. and thank you very much for your original contributions. whats up with the name insertion? lol...now i'm trying to smooth things over so i'm not blackballed from the site in the future!!!
    I was just being real with you, if you need to be convinced to get a $600 phone, you're probably better off not getting it...that saves YOU money and is hardly criticism.
    1 | 2
  19.    #19  
    OK...i guess i misunderstood everyone's tone. i agree. 600$ is a substantial investment. ive been a verizon customer for almost 6 years, and i never knew they had a 15 day trial. that was also a helpful comment from earlier.
    I was a big Palm user and found it a pain to have to lug my laptop and phone around in addition to my Palm. I still need my laptop but now I can go to meetings with out it. Chatter e-mail pushes out all of my e-mails so I am always conencted which has really increased my productivity. Basically I have my phone, Internet and e-mail all in one device. You can read on this forum all day people who love and are frustrated with the device. I for one have a stable phone that works fantastically! I waited until the Treo 600 to make the jump to a smart phone and now that I have my Cigular Treo 650 Iwill never go back to anything other then a smart phone.