Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Register is running a story on Amazon's leak of the palmOne LifeDrive, possibly a new direction for the PDA.

Some features are similar to the Tungsten line, but there is speculation that this is an attempt to redirect handhelds away from simple PIM function. Will the Treo benefit, or will it lose focus?
    Well, Palm's thinking is that the Treo will benefit since it is meant as an accesory to the Treo Ė to give the Treo users everything they originally promised for the Treo. That being the big, final fix for the memory problems, Bluetooth, wi-fi, etc. 'Course, they are forgetting that the users bought the Treo to get rid of multiple devices. And they are also forgetting we don't want to pay over $1000 for a solution.

Jerks.
    Hmmm. I can't find it on Amazon.

Oops. Found it.
    Last edited by archie; 05/06/2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Searched again. Probably a mistype mistake.
  4.    #4  
    So, you don't see any of the functionality of this device being built into the Treo line at some future date?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Hmmm. I can't find it on Amazon.

Oops. Found it.

For others the Amazon link is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009JMT38/qid=1115391831/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/002-2673717-9552030?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus
    So, you don't see any of the functionality of this device being built into the Treo line at some future date?
    Nope! Not in the near future (2 yearsish). Not for the Palm OS.
    I think it will have a significant impact on the Tungsten line, not the Treo. No keyboard, no phone. And while they could integrate phone functionality into it at some future date, it's traditional PDA size (I think) not as easily pocketable as the Treo. And few phone users seem interested in a phone that large.

I don't understand how it's an accessory to the Treo. If I wanted to carry two devices, and that was one of them, I'd want the phone as small as possible.

I see it as the final attempt to save the Palm PDA. If it fails, the Palm PDA as a separate device is dead. And probably so is the PPC, in the long run.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    This new handheld is the beginning of a new Line up for PalmOne. I think that this new handheld is going to crowd their lineup and take away from the high end T|5's sales.

Though maybe the T|5 was just a bridge to this LifeDrive? After all, the only thing missing from this Palm in my mind is Bluetooth 1.2. It has USB 2.0, Wifi 802.11B, Bluetooth 1.1, 4gig drive!!! (maybe 6gig in the future?? a la iPod), huge screen, and looks damn hot. Between this and the Treo 650 PalmOne is looking in good shape.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I do not know about anybody else, but I will always want whatever is in the best Palm PDA to eventually come to the TREO 650 size case. I use my Treo for everything, equally. (PDA, Phone, IPod, spreadsheets, pictures, E-mail, video, handheld TV?.) For me it will always be a business tool AND entertainment device and I want it to stay in one case - I do not want to go back to carrying two or more devices and the associated chargers et cetera. . .

So processor speed, memory storage and connectability will always be key desires for me for the Treo. I do miss my 320x480 Tungsten T3 screen, but I was willing to give it up for the single form factor of the Treo 650.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/06/2005 at 11:35 AM.
    At this size, I think it's not competitve to the PSP and the iPod. Plus 4GB is not that much. It's not like the CUP is fast enough to play Dvix/Xvid files without convertion.

My perfect PDA would be a 480X320 screen longer and narrower Treo with dual SD slot. I like flip phones better but the current technology is not there yet.
    Granted it woun't play Ipod music (the apple format can suck my nuts), but there are ways around that! The CPU (NOT CUP dumb ***!) is plenty fast to play DIVX, i have been doing that with my 650 for a month now using the TCPMP. YOU ARE A JACK A$$!

AND 4GIG IS HUGE FOR A PDA YOU DUMB A$$ wHATEVER!?!??!!!?

Your perfect PDA is called a Zodiac. BUY ONE!

you suck at posting!

23 post... what a rookie!

Timmay
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 05/08/2005 at 12:48 AM.
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Granted it woun't play Ipod music (the apple format can suck my nuts), but there are ways around that! The CPU (NOT CUP dumb ***!) is plenty fast to play DIVX, i have been doing that with my 650 for a month now using the TCPMP. YOU ARE A JACK A$$!

AND 4GIG IS HUGE FOR A PDA YOU DUMB A$$ wHATEVER!?!??!!!?

Your perfect PDA is called a Zodiac. BUY ONE!

you suck at posting!

25 post... what a rookie!

Timmay
    reported
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    reported
    whatever... that guy is a troll if i ever say one...

I have been a Treo owner since the 180! And a Handspring owner since the Visor Pro! This guy (not dutchtrumpet) thinks that PalmOne sux... take it to a different site. I'm not going to site idle while ppl insult my fav company (next to the one i work for that is) and their future handhelds.

Dutch (i love everything you have done but), Take a chill pill

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    whatever... that guy is a troll if i ever say one...

I have been a Treo owner since the 180! And a Handspring owner since the Visor Pro! This guy (not dutchtrumpet) thinks that PalmOne sux... take it to a different site. I'm not going to site idle while ppl insult my fav company (next to the one i work for that is) and their future handhelds.

Dutch (i love everything you have done but), Take a chill pill

Timmay
    sorry for the off topic...

No hard feelings to you and I agree with you...I just don't think cussing him out is appropriate here or within the rules...I have been reported anonymously for far less and was PO'ed the person didn't admit who they were. Just trying to be up front...

take it easy....

now back to the life drive....
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    sorry for the off topic...

No hard feelings to you and I agree with you...I just don't think cussing him out is appropriate here or within the rules...I have been reported anonymously for far less and was PO'ed the person didn't admit who they were. Just trying to be up front...

take it easy....

now back to the life drive....
    I'm looking forward to the LifeDrive... If I wasn't a hardcore Treo user I would probably get one (I want my GF to get one so I can mess around with it!). This Handheld can save the stand alone PDA and Palmone. I hope they have the balls to kick it up to 6gb and add Bluetooth 1.2 to the Garnet OS in the future though.

I'm only using such vulgar words b/c I am drunk and I am passionate about my Treo line up.

BTW i'm researching a way to add a second SD slot to the Treo 600/650. so if anyone has some advice on how todo it I would love that... I want 4gb of Secure Digital (or more!) in my Treo! Two 2gb cards is my dream (or one SDIO and another SD...) we'll see how it goes!

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Timmay, just because you perceive someone as a troll does not give you the right to personally attack them -- no matter how good the alcohol was. Consider this a warning.

A Treo LD would be nice, as long as it doesn't make the Treo any bigger.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Timmay,
    Anytime you want to mouth off like a L0zR, feel free to point it in my direction. I'll be glad to accomodate.

As for the LifeDrive, a better name for it would be "DeathMarch". The final nail in the Dungsten line. Good riddance.

Without a keyboard, there is zero impact to the Treo line.

Just wait until the Magneto Treo is here....game over.
    I think that there is room for a hard drive based palm. The consumer trend has shifted to multimedia orientated devices (ipod) and soon it will be portable media players, although not as popular. I think that the right device should appease many people whom travel and want something that they can throw in with their laptop to watch movies or listen to music. I just interned and I traveled a lot, and I can definitely see the appeal of one of these devices. When I start full time in a year, I will probably get a Dell PPC with VGA and a 4gb microdrive so i can store movies, music, etc. it will stay in my laptop bag, but it'll be nice to have the storage and a smaller device to use without having to boot up the laptop to watch a movie on a 1 hr flight. Seems useful to me.
    Morning,

the ultamative Treo would be the LifeDrive combined with GSM functionality. And a huuuuge storage: I really do not want to think about what to sync or not. I want to have it all with me. All the time. And it should be in one box only.
    No point in having 4gb it is a bit to small (but going towards the right direction). And I don't want to watch a movie on anything smaller than 14'' so no point having this in that samll device (though a nice head-up would make my day, or at least say my flights...)
    A device having all this would be a 'must buy'

Cheers
    Magneto?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast