1.    #1  
    I think PalmOne has done a horrible job in advertising, or a very brilliant job. Horrible in the fact that I have never seen a Treo 650 ad on TV, but I see many other ads for other cell phones (obviously the carrier would make the ad, but Palm could still push it). I haven't heard anything on the radio or seen anything in magazines.

Now, on the flip side, I say a brilliant job because they perhaps were smart enough to save money on advertising and rely on customer referrals, their website, and websites like this and the well organized Treo Blog that's out there. Perhaps it's one of those products that can sell itself without needing a marketing campaign.

I don't know which perspective is correct, but the subject is nonetheless interesting (at least to me).
    There was a P1 created TV ad for the 650 that I saw frequently around the time the Sprint 650 came out (Thanksgiving - New Years). I've seen, and continue to see, ads for the 650 in business and financial management magazines along with "product placement" on numerous TV shows. Trade mags (IT industry) seem to have had a regular 600 or 650 ad for quite some time. People on this board have reported seeing creative 650 ads in Europe. A couple of recent car magazines have done quick write-ups on the 650 which are really paid ads from the product manufacture. In fact I see almost as many 650 ads as I do for Blackberry and certainly more than I do for PPC.
  3.    #3  
    Cingular certainly hasn't gone through great lengths to promote it, and I've seen no ads in the Chicago area. I don't doubt that trade magazines have them, and I've seen it highlighted on CNET and then AP might pick up the story briefly, but it doesn't appear that an all out media blitz occurred with Cingular at least, and it may either be a missed opportunity or a clever marketing scheme. Who knows (and for some reading this, who cares ).
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    Cingular certainly hasn't gone through great lengths to promote it, and I've seen no ads in the Chicago area. I don't doubt that trade magazines have them, and I've seen it highlighted on CNET and then AP might pick up the story briefly, but it doesn't appear that an all out media blitz occurred with Cingular at least, and it may either be a missed opportunity or a clever marketing scheme. Who knows (and for some reading this, who cares ).
    It appears in their TV ads.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've seen lots of Cingular ads featuring the 650 in the DC Metro area newspapers, and a few from Sprint. Not many on TV. TV ads are really, really expensive, and I think largely reserved for new models of phones.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    There's a Cingular ad that runs here in Atlanta that is ALL Treo. It's a business man being alerted to the impending birth of his child. It ends with him snapping a pic of his newborn. Awwwww...

I've also seen the Treo in Cingular ads featuring all their high-end phones at once. (The Treo, Razr, Blackberry and others I don't know)
    I think P1 does a good job of placing the Treo in movies, TV shows, music videos, etc... This type of advertising is very effective as well.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    If the sales for the Treo 650 are doing well there is no need in spending expensive advertising dollars on it. Sure toss it into a general add here and there but there is no need to focus directly on it if the sales are up. People can see the adds for the other items and when the venture to the store to buy that specific one they saw on the add the employee has the opportunity to upsell. Pay the employee their $10 an hour and save their $50,000+ on the add.
    Look at USBank. They have hardly any adds on TV at all. But they are still in the top 10 United States banks.

If the Treo 650 has had a good family tree (its earlier models) then it should be able to carry its own wait.

Nathan
    never seen a honda s2000 add either, but I have one of those also
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I think P1 does a good job of placing the Treo in movies, TV shows, music videos, etc... This type of advertising is very effective as well.
    Yes, they approached me with a free one right before the release.
    I see the Cingular AD on TV all the time ( that has the 650 in it )
    1 | 2
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    I see the Cingular AD on TV all the time ( that has the 650 in it )
    That particular ad was just recently released in Chicago. I happened to see it ironcically after I posted. I realize that the Treo 650 isn't a "new" product, but a lot of people don't really know what it is. I find myself having to explain what it is. Contrast that with a Blackberry. That is a household name practically, because it's well known. More people would buy the Treo if they understood all that it did.

When my HP 4350 PPC's screen went out earlier this year, I was upset. In addition, my Samsung P-107 cell phone was nice, but I wanted Bluetooth. Since I read CNET a lot, I chanced upon the Treo 650. The single thing that convinced me to buy it was that I could have all of my contacts in one place, and if one called, their name would show up. It was so irritating trying to decide whether or not to put someone in my phone or PDA, or having to open my PDA to get a phone number. So that need for an all-in-one sold me on the Treo. Once I saw all of the other benefits, it became obvious that this was the product for me. (Wow, did I just go off into a "Why I love my Treo tangent?").
    I'll bet a good number of Treo owners would not see Treo ads because they are now glued to their Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    There's a Cingular ad that runs here in Atlanta that is ALL Treo. It's a business man being alerted to the impending birth of his child. It ends with him snapping a pic of his newborn. Awwwww...

I've also seen the Treo in Cingular ads featuring all their high-end phones at once. (The Treo, Razr, Blackberry and others I don't know)
    I live in Chicago and saw this commercial last night. By the way, Hello! This is my first post here.
    Welcome! Your baby is beautiful! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Welcome! Your baby is beautiful! :-)
    Thank you!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    IMHO, there is really no need for extra commercials. There is such a loyal following of the treo, that in my store we cannot keep one on the shelves. People actually call and see if we have any avaliable. We don't have to advertise that we have them.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I live in VA, and I've seen the aforementioned Cingular TV ad and product placement spots for some time now.

In addition, I was on vacation in April and had a connecting flight in Boston on the way and Philly on the way back. In both airports, I saw several billboard-style ads for the 650. I'm pretty sure they were Sprint from what I remember of the phone. They were just big photos of the 650 on a white background with text underneath that varied from ad to ad. The only one I remember was something like, "Is your laptop getting heavy?" Kinda clever, and excellent placement.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Excellent placement, that's the point. I'm afraid I don't live in the US so I can't really evaluate the amount of exposition the Treo is getting there.

But one basic principle they teach you in Marketing class is that you have to choose advertising media that suit the type of product you are selling. The Treo is certainly not a product for the masses, so it really doesn't make much sense to use a mass-advertising medium like television ads. palmOne would be wasting huge amounts of money by reaching millions of people who don't need, nor ever will need, a Treo.

So a specialized product like the Treo needs specialized advertising media -- such as airport billboards, which seems like an excellent choice to me. Many of those who actually need a Treo will probably be frequent flyers. And many of them will be probably thinking that their laptop IS indeed getting heavy, so the clever remark serves for added effect!

Now, WHY so many of us buy and love a Treo without actually needing it is beyond my understanding. Life's little unanswered questions...
    I was at a Cingular store in CT a couple of weeks ago. Saw a lot of Treo 650 promotional stuff stacked in the back. The rep said they decided not to do the promo's in this area since they sold them as fast as they got them from Palm.
    dp