View Poll Results: Better keyboard? T600 vs T650

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll

8 22.22%

28 77.78%
  1.    #1  
    Please check a box above.

I miss the keyboard on the T600. I think I had fewer typos. Which do you think has the better keyboard, 650 or 600?
    The keyboard on the Treo650 would have been perfect if only they had kept the Treo600's keyboard keys. What I mena by keys is the raised (egg shaped) keys which made it far easier to press the correct key. Thsu even with bigger keys nad more space in between the keys, I end up making more mistakes with on the Treo 650 keyboard than I did with the Treo 600 keyboard. Now if only PalmOne would learn to improve upon things while still leaving things that are good to begin with. With the Treo 650 we have so many things improved from the Treo 600 but unfortuantely at the same time the Treo 650 actually goes backwards in a lot fo respects.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The Treo 600 keyboard is better IMHO. It's much easier to hit the keys becaused they are raised better. I do like the slight curve to the keyboad that the 650 has, but that's a minor issue. I'm sticking with the 600 for now.

Tom
    TreoBlast.com
  4.    #4  
    I liked the shape of the keys better on the 600, on the 650 I fell like I'm pushing 2 or 3 keys at the same time.
    I returned 3 650s specifically because of the keyboard. The (very) soft keys on the right side (p key included) drove me absolutely crazy. They got worse and worse as time went on an made it difficult to type. Otherwise, I LOVED the 650 and will buy another the second PalmOne fixed this problem, if they ever do. Frankly, I'm amazed more people aren't complaining about this issue and even more amazed they're still shipping like this. Mine were from Sprint. Anyone know if this issue will ever be addressed? I realize not everyone has the problem, but the store where I bought mine had a couple other returns for the same issue. I've seen several threads here on the subject. How many people need to return/complain before this gets fixed?! I really don't think I'm being too picky or unreasonable.

Sorry to rant. Like I said, great product otherwise. It really broke my heart to return them over something that seemed so easy to avoid in production. I had been looking forward to owning one for a long time.

Sidenote: I've used a 600 and that keyboard was solid and reliable . . . that's all I'm looking for, nothing more . . . buttons across the board that click and respond when I press them.
  6.    #6  
    Ya I posted in a thread relating to soft keys. I cant even tell if Im pushing the option key. There is alittle click and it moves slightly, thats it. But that dosent bug me.

What bugs me is that even though this keyboard is reportedly 10 percent bigger or more spread out, the keys themselves seem bigger taking up that extra room.

I would like to know if everyone had a choice, would the Treo7xx have a 650 keyboard or 600 keyboard?
    I prefer the 650, but I think it depends on how and how well you type. I can type so don't have to look at the keys. I also use my nail, the 600 keys were so round, my nail would slip right off.
    The 650 is much better IMHO. The backlight is better, and the keys are easier to type with.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I think the keys on the 650 are really easy on to type on wether I use my fingertip or my nail - the eggshape makes it really easy to hit the right key.

/M
    Sorry for repeating myself - "really easy", "really easy"... but they ARE!

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I prefer the 650, but I think it depends on how and how well you type. I can type so don't have to look at the keys. I also use my nail, the 600 keys were so round, my nail would slip right off.
    I get alot of typos on the computer so maybey its just me,

I cant imagine how anyone with long nails would ever type on the 600. I wonder if that was why they changd it. It seems like it would be impossible.

I tried typing on a VX 6600 yesterday, I felt so sorry for anyone who owned one. The new keyboard on the blackberry look horrible also. And I couldnt imagine trying to hold a sidekick sidways and try to type while keeping one hand on the wheel

Treo definitly kicks everyone elses ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    I think the keys on the 650 are really easy on to type on wether I use my fingertip or my nail - the eggshape makes it really easy to hit the right key./M
    It is the Treo600 which has the egg shaped keys rather than the Treo650.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I looked at the Blackberry at the Cingular store...it was HUGE! Is the newest one smaller? About the size of the Treo? My hands are really small so the Treo is a stretch one-handed. I couldn't even hold the Blackberry, let alone type with one hand.

I've never really looked at a sidekick, but isn't the keyboard split, forcing you to use both hands? I love the one-handed option of the Treos.
  14.    #14  
    You would have to hold the sidekick side-ways to type one-handed. Ya, the new blackberry is smaller, I have no clue how they work, it has 2 letters on each key. The sidekicks I have seen didnt have split keyboards. All of them are inferior to the Treo. To tell you the truth though I find fat finger easier to use than the keyboard ---> fatfinger. I have the qwerty keyboard set to what fatfinger calls "datebook" (on the treo its the phone button), numeric is set to "address" (the calender button on the treo), special characters is set to "to do" (message button on treo). This way when I type one handed I am gripping the phone completly instead of barely holding it at the bottom. Also I dont have to use the "alt" key and hunt for special characters.

This one would be OK for the treo 7xx -->fatfinger Treo
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 05/07/2005 at 08:14 PM.
    I absolutely detest the "home" button right where it's easy to hit it accidentally, wiping out exceedingly long internet posts I'm very glad they moved it for the 650
    I like the 600 keys but I love how bright the backlight is on the 650. If they could combine those two features on the new t700...well
  17.    #17  
    I stopped by VZ while in the mall to check out the T600s keyboard just to see if Im having some of that "the grass is always greener thing". And I must be because the keybaord had gotten glorified in my mind, it was definitley not as easy to use as the T650s. It was a dummy phone though.