Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    JackNaylorPE,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm only 4 months into a T-Mo contract.
    1. I've seen only the unlocked GSM for $699 (Palm1) and $730 (Costco online), can I find it elsewhere for $599? I'd rather not buy from ebay.
    2. To get the $299 price, wouldn't I need to sign up for new Cingular service?
    And if I had to sign up, it wouldn't matter if it were unlocked, would it?

Rgds,

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    There are two ways to get an unclocked GSM phone:

1. Buy an unlocked GSM model from anyone for $599

2. Buy a locked GSM model from Cingular ($299) and then either:
    a) Wait the required 3 months to become a "customer in good standing" and then ask them to unlock it
    b) Call soon after you buy and beg and moan about your upcoming trip to Europe and ask them to waive the 3 month requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    $900 ? Is that a actual retailer or someone who got an early model trying to dump it for a quick profit. I bought mine on the day it was released for $325.
    That's how much I paid for the Sony NZ90 PDA when it first hit the market. You can pick one up on Ebay for less than $200 now.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    Quote Originally Posted by jekswang
    1. I've seen only the unlocked GSM for $699 (Palm1) and $730 (Costco online), can I find it elsewhere for $599? I'd rather not buy from ebay.
    2. To get the $299 price, wouldn't I need to sign up for new Cingular service?
    And if I had to sign up, it wouldn't matter if it were unlocked, would it?
    1. I did a web search and found it for $599 on an e-tailer site...don't remember which one.

2. Yes, that's the new customer deal.....looks like you have 8 months to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMike
    That's how much I paid for the Sony NZ90 PDA when it first hit the market. You can pick one up on Ebay for less than $200 now.
    The RZR has gone down to $400 if you pay full price(it's a locked one though, Cingular), but with a contract it's $379 and includes a Motorola bluetooth headset. I saw it for $700 just a few weeks ago. Yes you have to wait for the good stuff to go down!

The bad thing is with trendy stuff. I once waited too long for one product and it was sold out everywhere! Everyone had jumped on it and paid the full price, believe it or not! You have to pick your trends wisely though(unless you have a LOT of disposable income), so I can't blame anyone for keeping their 600 if it still works fine and they don't see much difference in the 650. But I was returning to Palm after not using one for 4 or 5 years, and the new 650 screen blew me away!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I want to be happy with my 600, but after being a Palm user for 5 years (Zire72/T3), it's kind of hard to be satisfied with the resolution when the 650 is out there. But, just got my 600 Dec'04 and 8 months of T-Mo contract to do, so only thing I guess is to either buy an unlocked 650 or see what happens with T-Mo. Or buy out my contract and go with Sprint. I don't think I would go over to Cingular.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    so I can't blame anyone for keeping their 600 if it still works fine and they don't see much difference in the 650. But I was returning to Palm after not using one for 4 or 5 years, and the new 650 screen blew me away!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    My 650's touch screen died and when I called Cingular to get a replacement they told me 5-10 business days. Since I need a PDA I went on E-Bay and bought a used 600 which works just fine. However, the screen is horrible compared to the 650. I haven't seen that many dots on a screen since VGA. Before the 650 I used a Tungsten C which pretty much has the same screen as the 650. To go to the 600 really empasizes how great the 650 screen is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The RZR has gone down to $400 if you pay full price(it's a locked one though, Cingular), but with a contract it's $379 and includes a Motorola bluetooth headset. I saw it for $700 just a few weeks ago. Yes you have to wait for the good stuff to go down!

The bad thing is with trendy stuff. I once waited too long for one product and it was sold out everywhere! Everyone had jumped on it and paid the full price, believe it or not! You have to pick your trends wisely though(unless you have a LOT of disposable income), so I can't blame anyone for keeping their 600 if it still works fine and they don't see much difference in the 650. But I was returning to Palm after not using one for 4 or 5 years, and the new 650 screen blew me away!
    I've had my 600 for over a year, and I'm just delighted with it and with what it can do. It's like having a computer with me all the time, plus a phone. Sure, the screen could have higher resolution. But there are also tweaks to improve the way the screen looks. For example, TCPMP includes a color saturation setting that lets you enhance the appearance of colors on the screen quite a bit (the effect is persistent). Sure, I'd also like faster internet. But until another generation of Treo comes out with built-in wifi and faster-than-edge wireless, I'll stick with what I have. Although I may go for a 2gb SD card to replace my 1 gb card.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I went through the same question, and came up with one basic answer:

------------------------
    It's all about the screen.
    ------------------------

I went outside and compared the 600 to the 650. When it's sunny, you can't see the 600 screen very well. The 650 looked great. All the other stuff is gravy in my opinion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12