1.    #1  
    Hello,

With all the talk about backup software and backup cards, I guess this may seem like a dumb question but here goes...

I've seen many people tralk about the importamce of backing up but in the short time I've had myTreo, I've been able to recover from hard and battery resets by just re-synching.

One time I had to hard-reset my Palm whist on vacation, so having a backup to my always-in SD card would have been useful. If I owned additional backup hardware, I don't know that I would carry it.

What other reasons are there for purchasing backup hard and software?

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    If I delete an application I like to use the uninstall manager instead of my launcher, so when I delete an app, I cant just send it the the trash can/rececle bin. So I therefore dont have the option of restoring it unless I have a backup.
    also restoring on the fly - if you're away from your PC and you get a bad crash you can restore; or if you walk into a Sprint (or other) store to swap your unit for another, you can have your original configuration back before you leave the store!
    this is a good question.

although I support backups, I never have done it on my Treo, and I am a very heavy user. Sync is good enough, and hard resets are rare (2 on my Treo 300, 1 on the 600, one on the 650 (when I first installed it - none since).

While my Treo soft resets often, I do not lose data, so the need (cost, time) for backup is just not there.

I know it sounds like heresy, but it works fine for me, esp. now with NVFS.
    I think it's the best $10 ever spent. I've used BackupMan for a while and you never know when you'll have to restore your device while away.
    I have a high comfort factor level knowing I'm ready in case I need it.
    I have a scheduled backup daily at 3 am. I only hotsync several times a week.
    Just my 2 cents.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Why backup? Gosh, that's an excellent question with excellent answers. First, I have two good backup programs on my Treo, but I use exclusively BackupManager. Anyway, having been an early Sprint Treo 600 purchaser, there have been at least 10 times I have done a restore. Some of the reasons were out of OMG! and others were just plain oh, well.

A recent upgrade of a product I have used since first getting a Treo 300 and one that I use every single day, multiple times during the day, is constantly (yeah, really) under development by the developer. Releases are made routinely, often several times a day as he addresses user requests and refinements. Anyway, a couple of days ago I upgraded to the then latest beta and darn, it did not work. I then reinstalled the previous beta and darn, it did not work. The latest beta had changed a data file. Oh, gosh. I use this thing every day. I had entered data into another program I use almost daily and gosh, this was a potential problem. So, since BackupManager is set to run automagically every night at 10:30 p.m., I did a backup to my laptop. After the backup was done to the laptop, I did a hard reset and restored from the previous evening's SD based backup made by BackupManager. Since the just done backup contained the previous beta of the newly OMG upgrade, I was set there. I then did a hotsync to bring HanDBase back to its current status.

Had I not done a backup via BackupManager the night before, then restoring via a hotsync standard hot sync would have had a bit of danger to it (maybe I would miss a file that should not be installed?).

So backups are great. Backups are necessary. Backups keep life good.

Ben
    1. HotSync'ing does not back up everything but I d be hard pressed to tell you what it skips.

2. A backup to yur SD card can save your arse when you away from your desktop.

3. You might want to restore to a point older than your last HotSync.
  8.    #8  
    That's great - thanks for your answers everyone.

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    So now I get why.

What are the best backup programs for my new Sprint Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstring
    So now I get why.

What are the best backup programs for my new Sprint Treo 650?
    the two bigges are BackUpMan and BackupBuddy.

I am using the latter from bluenOmad in "combo"....proces are from memory

BackupBuddyPro backs up to windoze ($29.95)
    backUpBuddy FVS Pro backs up everyhting to SD card ($19.95)

Both of those togetehr $34.95
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I think it's the best $10 ever spent. I've used BackupMan for a while and you never know when you'll have to restore your device while away.
    I have a high comfort factor level knowing I'm ready in case I need it.
    I have a scheduled backup daily at 3 am. I only hotsync several times a week.
    Just my 2 cents.

Same here. Other than my scheduled backup being 59 minutes after yours (why 3:59am -- who knows), my habits are same as yours. Works for me, and has saved my **** more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    Same here. Other than my scheduled backup being 59 minutes after yours (why 3:59am -- who knows), my habits are same as yours. Works for me, and has saved my **** more than once.
    Mine's 3.15 am. Perhaps we should start a poll

Backups are like any other sort of insurance. You hope you won't have to use them but it's nice to know they're there.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Does your phones soft reset after completing a Backup using Backupbuddy?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Does your phones soft reset after completing a Backup using Backupbuddy?
    No. The only problem I had was after teh ROM update when BUB wanted to restore everything to pre ROM status and went into a reset loop. had I waited to see warning posts I woulda used workaround and avoided that.