1.    #1  
    I am not a real high-tech guy, but I have been using a Treo for the past year. I have recently changed jobs and am working for a company that uses Verizon. I am currently using Cingular, but I don't have a real problem with changing. My problem is this. They are telling me that I cannot use a Treo to view my e-mails, but that I can use a blackberry.

The person that told me this did not sound very sure of himself. I think that I would like to check into this further to see if this is really the case or is there a chance that I can purchase a Verizon Treo and get my e-mails that way.

Can someone tell me what questions I need to ask the IT department to find out if I can or cannot use a Treo with their network?

Thanks for the information.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Blackberries (at least in a corporate environment) use software called Blackberry Enterprise Server to send and receive email. This software doesn't support anything but Blackberries, and this is probably what they're using. Blackberry has been promising to release software for the Treo to work with BES, but so far there is no release date.

If your company uses Exchange 2003 then you can use the included Versamail app. Most people (including myself) don't like Versamail, but it does work (basically) and would probably require the least amount of effort from your IT department.

If you aren't using Exchange 2003 or you don't want to use Versamail, then there are a number of third party email programs that you can use. (My favorite is chatteremail) These all require POP3 or IMAP access to your server and your IT department would probably need to enable it.

Your last option is to use a third party email app with a free email account from somewhere and configure your work email to forward everything to that account. A lot of companies don't like this option (if they find out about it) and any reply wouldn't come from your work email address, so it's really not ideal.

HTH,
    Brett
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Actually there is one other option... there is a software package called goodlink out there that works much like BES. Unlike the other options I listed above goodlink does require software to be installed on the server side, but, I believe it also synchronizes contacts and your calendar. Unfortunately, it is also a bit pricy (IMHO) and is really intended (and priced) for more than one user. It's worth looking into, but unless there are a number of other Treo users it's probably not worth it.

HTH
    Brett