Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    True, and Apple is not about to go away, but Macs are basically a niche product. If it weren't for I-Pods and I-Tunes, they would be in serious trouble right now. Apple only dominates in the graphic arts field and even their lead there is shrinking.
    Not in my neighborhood, I see more Powerbooks and iBooks in the coffee shops. And nothing beats Final Cut Pro.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    The direction for convergent devices is phone/communicator and PDA. Sales of phone/PDA devices will eventually overtake the PDA-only devices and it will only be a matter of time when phone-only devices will be overtaken as well. Watch as the cellular vendors are now trying to introduce their own variety of PDA functions into the phone, especially with the business partnerships forming between cellular phone makers and PDA developers.
    I do see that trend, and it will indeed be "eventually" in the US because both Palm and HP have PDA-only devices outnumbering the PDA phones on both sites! I wish there were more covergent devices to choose from too. Sony Ericson doesn't seem to be selling it's newer PDA phone in the US yet, and I-mate doesn't advertise well enough here to get the "average" consumer. I only learned about them when I got here, not at Best Buy(or some other place like that). Like I've said before, US is almost always the last to know when it comes to cell phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #63  
    Let's not forget that MS lives in a different world today than they did when they gained market dominance on the desktop. They accomplished that not by superior design but by illegal tactics that they could not get away with today....even with a guy who lost an election to a dead guy in charge of th Justice Department.

    1. With DOS, MS priced Windows / MS-DOS at $29.95 while Windows without DOS was $44.95 ..... effectively killing any competition from other DOS vendors...MS can't do that anymore.

    2. MS had an update to Windows (3.11) which the only thing effecetively added was a oinstallation message which detected whetehr you were running an alternate brand of DOS and if so it put up a "data at risk" message warning the user to get rid of the otehr DOS or risk data loss. Can't egta way with that again.

    3. Windows had illegal contract limitations which bumped up the price of Windows if the PC vendor was brash enough to sell any other competing products.....they've since signed aconsent decree nt o do tha anymore.

    4. Most of what else MS has accomplished has been thru illegal "tying" to the OS, the US wimped out after finding them guilty of this but at least Europe is forcing them to yank crap out. Still the US justice department has taken an "OK, you got away with IE and then Media Player, but that's it" stance.

    5. IT departments are purposely, on the advice of NSA and other government agencies, diversifying their installed base to get away from a homogeneous roll out. An "all windows" office is seen as a negative as one infection can take every box down. A date activated infection takes down all your desktops and all your WinCE devices, you ain't calling anyone. Many people buy Palm's just because they do NOT have Windows on them.

    If Palm did both, probbaly a good marketing move, but two platforms have additional development and support costs thta may make it less profitable. If they went Windoze only, I think a sizeable potion of their user base would move to Linux / Symbian phones.
  4. #64  
    The StyleTap app sounds cool because it gives you choice between the two OSes in the future (assuming there will be more Windows handhelds released in the near future), but there's a big difference between theoretical and actual performance: how many people, especially the recreational users, have actually gotten Wine under Linux completely up and running with no problems? Maybe it's a bad analogy, but often the programs are pretty spotty in terms of what programs they run and the resources required to run the program in the foreign environment (I *think* that sentence makes sense...).
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    5. IT departments are purposely, on the advice of NSA and other government agencies, diversifying their installed base to get away from a homogeneous roll out. An "all windows" office is seen as a negative as one infection can take every box down. A date activated infection takes down all your desktops and all your WinCE devices, you ain't calling anyone. Many people buy Palm's just because they do NOT have Windows on them.
    Diversifying is not ideal in many environments and can lead to added support costs. I can't see any companies rolling out anything other than Windows (or maybe Macs) on the desktop.

    Diversity is primarily usefull only in the server environment, but even that is not practiced in many IT departments. Our server room is probably 95% Windows based with a handful of Sun machines. As it pertains to handheld devices, we are an Exchange shop and we have standardized on Blackberry. We may not be 100% satisfied with it, but Blackberry is what we give our users when they need mobile email.

    In my mind, it is only a matter of time before MS offers integrated push email into Exchange and conveniently it will only work with Windows Mobile devices. This alone may get management to switch to MS push email as BES costs us tens of thousands of dollars per year.

    I'm not saying that MS is the best or that they will win in the end. I myself own a Treo and consider it the best PDA phone currently available. But it is hard for me to bet against the 800LB gorilla.
  6. #66  
    This is Slashdot retoric. Don't believe a word of it. I program for a living and I can tell you Windows got where it is now because it's alot better platform to code in and MS does alot to make hardware and software play nice together.

    IT Departments are not moving enmass to linux and Palm OS's days are probably numbered if they don't get with the program.

    I love my Treo, not for the software, but for the hardware. Nothing packs so much punch into one little unit. I came from an Ipaq, a device I loved but wanted a phone/pda. I was tired of luggign around 2 devices. If someone came out with a good Phone/PDA with good battery life and PocketPC on it, I would swtich soon as my contract was up.

    Intergration with Windows is tons better, and the multimedia is the bomb.



    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Let's not forget that MS lives in a different world today than they did when they gained market dominance on the desktop. They accomplished that not by superior design but by illegal tactics that they could not get away with today....even with a guy who lost an election to a dead guy in charge of th Justice Department.

    1. With DOS, MS priced Windows / MS-DOS at $29.95 while Windows without DOS was $44.95 ..... effectively killing any competition from other DOS vendors...MS can't do that anymore.

    2. MS had an update to Windows (3.11) which the only thing effecetively added was a oinstallation message which detected whetehr you were running an alternate brand of DOS and if so it put up a "data at risk" message warning the user to get rid of the otehr DOS or risk data loss. Can't egta way with that again.

    3. Windows had illegal contract limitations which bumped up the price of Windows if the PC vendor was brash enough to sell any other competing products.....they've since signed aconsent decree nt o do tha anymore.

    4. Most of what else MS has accomplished has been thru illegal "tying" to the OS, the US wimped out after finding them guilty of this but at least Europe is forcing them to yank crap out. Still the US justice department has taken an "OK, you got away with IE and then Media Player, but that's it" stance.

    5. IT departments are purposely, on the advice of NSA and other government agencies, diversifying their installed base to get away from a homogeneous roll out. An "all windows" office is seen as a negative as one infection can take every box down. A date activated infection takes down all your desktops and all your WinCE devices, you ain't calling anyone. Many people buy Palm's just because they do NOT have Windows on them.

    If Palm did both, probbaly a good marketing move, but two platforms have additional development and support costs thta may make it less profitable. If they went Windoze only, I think a sizeable potion of their user base would move to Linux / Symbian phones.
  7. #67  
    jacknaylor,

    you comment "a windows-only office is seen as not a good thing" is completely false.

    You obviously have not worked in the IT industry. A windows only office is seen as a very good thing.
    (whether I or you like it or not)

    And .Net developing a lot easier.
    Java re-use is a myth, and you end up spending 4x in development and support costs.

    Believe me, I do not think MS is all wonderful, but they have done a lot of things well where others have stumbled.

    How does this bear on PDAs? MS will own the OS, and others will make devices. It's the 90's all over again. (there will always be niches, of course).
  8. #68  
    Linux servers are doing well and grabbing an increasing market share from MS. The story is not the same on the desktop. But Linux and MS can play reasonably well together. Also, OS virtualization makes a big difference in many shops. Who are the leaders? The financial industry usually is. They have gone to Linux servers in a big way. Who else runs on LInux? Google and Yahoo, for two. You pick what can do the job best. In some cases it's MS, in others it's a different OS. I will say this - when you have to spend 30% of support time on patch management, it does not make for happy customers.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Linux servers are doing well and grabbing an increasing market share from MS. The story is not the same on the desktop. But Linux and MS can play reasonably well together. Also, OS virtualization makes a big difference in many shops. Who are the leaders? The financial industry usually is. They have gone to Linux servers in a big way. Who else runs on LInux? Google and Yahoo, for two. You pick what can do the job best. In some cases it's MS, in others it's a different OS. I will say this - when you have to spend 30% of support time on patch management, it does not make for happy customers.

    30% ofyou time on patch mgmt? Were you talking about Solaris? :-)

    I would agree that there is more Linux use in corporations. but it tends to be application specific, not overarching.

    Also, financial services is still 90% reliant on mainframes for thier core business. Linux is many zero dent in those apps (other than maybe from end web server, and even that is sketchy; usually those guys are going Sun.)

    I think we should delineate between NOS (file, print, email), and business applications. Obviously, each technology has its place and merits. (just like Palm and PPC!)
  10. #70  
    Much of the linux switch over, wasn't from Windows to Linux, but from some other *NIX to linux.

    Windows based IT departments are not looking to deal with Linux based server solutions. It's not as well intergrated into windows, requires alot of extra effort to administrate and gives you nothing better.

    Most big buisnesses are not looking for ways to make thier IT more avante gaurd, or "cooler". They're looking for stuff that all intergrates together smoothly and quickly, because they are not in the buisness of promoting arcitectures, but creating some non-computer based product or service.
  11. #71  
    How come no CGI/PHP/Perl/Java on Windows servers? That's why I use Linux servers to host my sites!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #72  
    What do you want ? Microsoft can barely run by it's self.
  13. #73  
    I still user treo650 , not dopod818 /699, because I need astronomy software,
    palm have many tool than PPC , I ever try use dopod , but pocketStars is bad.
    if styletap can really emulation Palm software on PPC .
    maybe I will give up treo650 .

    but I think , treo650 & PPC use ARM based CPU , PC have vmware tool
    can emulation both , why not emulation PPC on treo650 ??

    Have any Palm software can re-compile PPC software to Palm ?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions