Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73
  1. #41  
    I've been reading how PPC will kill PalmOS since I first joined VisorCentral almost 5 years ago; it's getting kinda old.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You could use the same type of statistics for Mozilla versus Internet Explorer. Since Firefox was released, Mozilla's market share has jumped 400% (from 1.5 to 6.0 % of market) while MS's has dropped ...MS still has 85% of the market.

    Most corporate sites are moving away from homogenous structures. Diversification is the key as when the next Windows virus come salong, they don't want their whole operation shutting down. So businesses are making every effort to incorporate multiple platforms.
    Yeah, but MS actually shipped more PPC devices than Palmsource did last quarter 1,976,970 vs 1,131,310 and at the rate RIM is growing, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't shipping more units than Palmsource is by this time next year. In my mind the PalmOS is a sinking ship, its a slowly sinking ship, but a sinking ship none the less.
  3. #43  
    jw, stating facts like that can result in bad thing, so I am told.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mojax
    StyleTap enables Palm OS applications to work on Pocket PC!

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7794

    and no Skype for PALM?!!

    i'll see you in the dark side soon..
    So essentially what we're saying here is that a higher end Pocket PC will, generally speaking, run more Palm Apps, currently than the Treo 650 will... without ill side effects anyways.

    LOL.... .... I LOVE THIS!

    Irony is my favorite thing of all time.

    I'm checking this out!
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by NX01
    I've been a long time supporter of Palm, since my 2mb 3Com Palm III days.
    However, I believe that as soon as battery technology finally catches up with the rest of Pocket PC hardware (and Toshiba is on the case), then with StyleTap, what would be the advantage of owning a PalmOS device, linux kernel or not?
    My 650 may well be my last PalmOS device if StyleTap actually works reliably, and I can transfer my software subscriptions...
    I'm with ya brother...
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Yes, we classfied your comment as unreliable and dicey.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  7. #47  
    That's what they all said about Apple, jw68.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintfisher
    What's amazing to me is that I think PocketPC is the more useful O/S, however, PalmOne has the better hardware platforms.

    Look at the Treo 650 for example: A sweet 320x320 pixel display, and the stock apps still run in lo-res mode. Though the fonts are a bit smoother, they're still HUGE for the resolution that the display offers. I suppose if you have vision problems, it's not a big deal, but if you're like me, have good eyes, and demand more screen real-estate, it's a huge disappointment.

    This is just one example of the Palm "attitude", which I think will ultimately be their demise. I've been a palm user for *years*, and if I could run PocketPC on my Treo 650, you bet I'd at least give it a shot.

    -Clint
    LOL... very well put!

    and again, I'm right there with you... and I too have been a Palm fan since the very beginning.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Useful is relative. It it works for you, it's useful. I use both PPC and Palm devices, and they're both useful to me.
    What would you say is the best PPC device out there right now... I claim total ignorance on the subject... but I'm really interested.

    Thanks!
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    What would you say is the best PPC device out there right now... I claim total ignorance on the subject... but I'm really interested.

    Thanks!
    Thats another one of those relative discussions. What are you looking for? You can spend upwards of 700 dollars for a VGA device with BT and WiFi, with both CF and SD card support. Or as low 200-300 dollars for the 320x240 screen device.

    If you like gaming and use emulators, probably something from Asus or the Fujitsu Loox would be best. If you just want to keep contacts, dates, and more traditional PDA things, the lower end HP or Dell's would be fine.

    Check out the forums on Brighthand (which I also visit), or PocketPCThoughts if you want to learn about the different models.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. #51  
    Morons like Dvorak have been predicting Apple's demise "any day now™" since the mid-80's. Palm's imminent demise is just the latest drivel by the Chicken Little crowd. I recommend ignoring them - they're mostly harmless. Perhaps the doom-sayers should consider this: Skype's ignoring the Palm platform may lead to Skype's undoing.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    That's what they all said about Apple, jw68.
    True, and Apple is not about to go away, but Macs are basically a niche product. If it weren't for I-Pods and I-Tunes, they would be in serious trouble right now. Apple only dominates in the graphic arts field and even their lead there is shrinking. The other thing about Apple was that it was a 2 horse race between MacOS and Windows whereas in the smartphone arena its a 4 horse race with Symbion, MS, Palmsource and RIM. All but Palmsource increased sales last quater. Palmsource sold less units than from the year before. The trend does not look good. PalmOS 6 has been out for over 1 year and we have yet to see a device. I also think that it is telling that MS considers RIM their primary competiter and not Palmsource.

    Wireless e-mail is where the corporate world is heading. Exchange is the number 1 corporate email product. Its only a matter of time before MS includes full featured push email into Exchange and PPC. When that happens, it will make RIM and Goodlink obsolete.

    PalmOne is another story. As I stated earlier, PalmOne is under no obligation to use the PalmOS in future devices, and that will allow them to be very agile in the market. PalmOne may flourish, but I think Palmsource and the PalmOS is another story.
  13. #53  
    All those facts can be hazardous to your TC health....I hear any criticism of Palm results in banishment.
  14. gbobman's Avatar
    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    #54  
    If I'm reading the facts correctly, the only reason PalmOne (not PalmSource) hasn't shipped more units is because of manufacturing issues. This has more to do with market cap. than with ability, as they couldn't finance the build efficiently. This may change drastically this quarter!

    MS has tried, ever since the beginning, to thwart Palm and to gain market share. I won't deny that this latest generation finally overcame a portion of their problems, but it is still an awkward system. Their motto was "a palm sized Windows". This isn't effective, as we generally don't access it in the same fashion (no mouse of full-sized KB). They still haven't found out what the "magic" mix is, but it is a mix that Palm (Jeff Hawkins) created. It is also worthless to have more than one "window" at a time on that kind of real estate (which is inherently what Windows IS, a windowing system).

    Palm has kept it simple, and Americans generally like that. So do others. Sony failed in the US because they couldn't understand that. Japanese like complexity, and probably will migrate to MS. Simplicity is the key here, as MS's latest maketing ploy shows ("It Just Works©").

    I will stay with Palm because I LIKE it, and it just works. I can program in it for free. I can modify things without breaking DMCA. It synchs faster to my PC. There are more options for me with Palm. It Just Works©
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

    I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

    - (Sigh)... It died.
  15. #55  
    Companies survive because of their ability to innovate and re-adapt to ever changing market and consumer needs. Timing of product release and market acceptance are critical components. Size does not always dictate success but solid financial backing is a must to sustain potential growth.

    PalmOne has limited resources than MS. It must carefully select its products and partners unlike established MS who can flood the market with cheap, variety specific product appeal.

    I just hope that some other competion other MS survives. I don't necessarily equate MS as the end all and be all solution as they tend to ignore the non-business users, personal users in general.

    PalmOne will either end up being bought out or survive by delivering a product that's a marketing hit that will sustain them until the next market for another product. Any business will close operations if they fail to keep the market niche enough to support their business.
  16. #56  
    Sorry if this idea has been posted before:

    ***Would it be possible for PalmSource to turn the tables and create a Pocket PC Emulator?

    I'm thinking if Mac (via third-party companies) can do it (Windows XP emulator), why not the palm community? Not really a techie, but with Linux and Palm OS 6 (mulitasking etc.) this might be possible. A faster processor would be needed, but that's already a given.
    ###
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Only the Treo will save Palm?? Aren't the Tungsten and Zire lines still popular also? Am I missing something here?
    The direction for convergent devices is phone/communicator and PDA. Sales of phone/PDA devices will eventually overtake the PDA-only devices and it will only be a matter of time when phone-only devices will be overtaken as well. Watch as the cellular vendors are now trying to introduce their own variety of PDA functions into the phone, especially with the business partnerships forming between cellular phone makers and PDA developers.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by votm
    jw, stating facts like that can result in bad thing, so I am told.
    Filling threads with useless messages like this can also be a bad thing, especially when TreoCentral staff gets notified of your messages. Just a friendly warning.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    So essentially what we're saying here is that a higher end Pocket PC will, generally speaking, run more Palm Apps, currently than the Treo 650 will... without ill side effects anyways.
    I seem to recall someone stating that their PPC now locks up like a Treo and that the emulator doesn't run applications requiring a conduit too well.
    Wake up...this emulator is a band-aid and an approach to assist in migrating Palm users to the PPC world. If Palm users wanted to run Palm applications though, they won't be buying a PPC to do it. They'd be buying a Palm.
  20. #60  
    Laughter, don't make threats.

    (if "useless" posts were so verboten, there would be no TC...)

    Go ego-trip somewhere else.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions