Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    According to the latest quarterly results Palm is taking a beating(http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...n=expand,39643). Palmsource sales declined 13% while MS is up 44% and Symbian up 175%. Its not that Palm will dissapear overnight, its just that MS has more resources and will wear them down until it becomes a niche product like the Mac. In the end Palm will have a market share similar to that of the Mac.
    Palmsource develops OS and apps for PalmOne. PalmOne's Treo sales are up and doing very well. Given all the palm apps already out there plus competition from other developers no wonder Palmsource is not doing well.

Of course a pro-pocketPC site is going to spin things to look as if PalmOne is doing poorly, but "Palm" which is PalmOne is doing great! Yea P-Source makes the OS, but still the Treo is going to keep the Palm name around for a long time. Even if no other device maker runs with it.

A tool to help PPC users run Palm apps is like the old tools Linux developers made to run some native windows apps. Its not going to make anybody swich because the killer mobile device apps are still native to Palm. And that's what people are buying.
    Last edited by darnell; 04/29/2005 at 12:16 PM.
    Even if you don't agree that Palm apps are inheritantly easier to navigate than PPC, its the perception that matters. Until ppc gets it out there that their platform is easier to use, Palm will be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Until ppc gets it out there that their platform is easier to use, Palm will be just fine.
    Isn't this exactly what Apple Mac fans have been saying for a much longer time? Once people find a platform they are comfortable with they are very reluctant to switch. People that are used to Palm OS are not running to try something else given what they have suits their needs.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mojax
    StyleTap enables Palm OS applications to work on Pocket PC!

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7794

and no Skype for PALM?!!

i'll see you in the dark side soon..
    Nice this guy has got 2 posts, both in this thread. Trollish behavior?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Isn't this exactly what Apple Mac fans have been saying for a much longer time? Once people find a platform they are comfortable with they are very reluctant to switch. People that are used to Palm OS are not running to try something else given what they have suits their needs.

Yup! And due to the security issues on WinDoze and the success of the IPod Apple share is growing. Hell I am thinking of buying a mini mac now.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Maybe they have been saying that...I dont know. I have used a mac but prefer a PC. I agree that people are hesitant to change...however people will move from one platform to another if it is offering more of what they need (i.e. better bt radio/options, screen, integration with their pc, etc.)
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Nice this guy has got 2 posts, both in this thread. Trollish behavior?
    i'm actually bill gates. i programmed styletap myself..
    I think its really all about the enterprise. The corporations are whats going to drive the expeansion of this market. As such, I know of many companies who are committed to Blackberry and evaluating PPC, none that I know of are looking at the Treo. It sreally all marketing, PalmOne needs to get their sales force out there and show the enterprise customers that they make the best product - bar none.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojax
    i'm actually bill gates. i programmed styletap myself..
    Bill Gates doesn't suffer in his garage writting code any longer.

He lets his whole team mess it up for him, he just figures out new ways to bleed you, while some 12 year old finds all the holes in the code.
    Since we are on war talk here, I would personally like to see Dr. Doom and Satan go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...I just got called "unreliable and dicey" by a guy with Satan as his avatar. The irony of that shouldn't be overlooked!
    What's amazing to me is that I think PocketPC is the more useful O/S, however, PalmOne has the better hardware platforms.

Look at the Treo 650 for example: A sweet 320x320 pixel display, and the stock apps still run in lo-res mode. Though the fonts are a bit smoother, they're still HUGE for the resolution that the display offers. I suppose if you have vision problems, it's not a big deal, but if you're like me, have good eyes, and demand more screen real-estate, it's a huge disappointment.

This is just one example of the Palm "attitude", which I think will ultimately be their demise. I've been a palm user for *years*, and if I could run PocketPC on my Treo 650, you bet I'd at least give it a shot.

-Clint
    Come to think of it PalmOne and PalmOS are mutually exclusive, whose to say PalmOne dosen't have a PPC Treo waiting in the wings. And if they do, it would be very smart for them to license Styletap and include it with their PPC Treo.
    but styletap would not work with programs that use a conduit, that would make them worthless in a lot of cases.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    According to the latest quarterly results Palm is taking a beating(http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...n=expand,39643). Palmsource sales declined 13% while MS is up 44% and Symbian up 175%. Its not that Palm will dissapear overnight, its just that MS has more resources and will wear them down until it becomes a niche product like the Mac. In the end Palm will have a market share similar to that of the Mac.
    You could use the same type of statistics for Mozilla versus Internet Explorer. Since Firefox was released, Mozilla's market share has jumped 400% (from 1.5 to 6.0 % of market) while MS's has dropped ...MS still has 85% of the market.

Most corporate sites are moving away from homogenous structures. Diversification is the key as when the next Windows virus come salong, they don't want their whole operation shutting down. So businesses are making every effort to incorporate multiple platforms.
    Let's turn the clock back 20 years and change the players:

IBM then = Microsoft now
    Microsoft then = Palmsource now

And remember OS2!!!

I am not saying that Palmsource will be the next Microsoft, but rather my point is that the size of a company does not guarantee victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    Yup! And due to the security issues on WinDoze and the success of the IPod Apple share is growing. Hell I am thinking of buying a mini mac now.
    Apple OS X appears cleaner and less bloated than Windows. I really wanted to move over to them myself 2 years ago. But I hate all the dual versions of software I had to buy. It became expensive. But I still may do it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by clintfisher
    What's amazing to me is that I think PocketPC is the more useful O/S, however, PalmOne has the better hardware platforms.

Look at the Treo 650 for example: A sweet 320x320 pixel display, and the stock apps still run in lo-res mode. Though the fonts are a bit smoother, they're still HUGE for the resolution that the display offers. I suppose if you have vision problems, it's not a big deal, but if you're like me, have good eyes, and demand more screen real-estate, it's a huge disappointment.

This is just one example of the Palm "attitude", which I think will ultimately be their demise. I've been a palm user for *years*, and if I could run PocketPC on my Treo 650, you bet I'd at least give it a shot.

-Clint
    Can you explain how it's more useful? All I see is a mini-Windows program, which is fine. I just want to know how it's more useful. I played around with a PPC, the interface is different. From what I vaguely remember, I think it was a bit easier to get to the apps, but I'm not sure if that made it more useful.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Can you explain how it's more useful? All I see is a mini-Windows program, which is fine. I just want to know how it's more useful. I played around with a PPC, the interface is different. From what I vaguely remember, I think it was a bit easier to get to the apps, but I'm not sure if that made it more useful.
    Useful is relative. It it works for you, it's useful. I use both PPC and Palm devices, and they're both useful to me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    DrDoom, you should be careful to criticize Palm. I have heard it is hazardous to your TreoCentral health.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast