1.    #1  
    Here's an interesting article. It has some nice tips about how to protect your gadgets from would-be thieves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/28/te...erland&emc=rss
    This is why I usually keep everything at home, LOL! It 's unfortunate, but when you go out and openly show what you have, thieves do take notice. And I simply HATE putting things through the belt at the airport for the exact same reason.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's a risk we all take. It's all a "cost of doing business."
    This is why I use backupman and a 2nd sd card. After my boss had his 600 stolen on a business trip, we bought everyone a backup card. Before we leave town for any reason, we make a complete backup of the SD card. I suppose I could carry my duplicate card with me, but I leave it at home so if my stuff gets stolen or destroyed I can plug the card into my new Treo and be back in action!
    There are a few issues here:

1.) The value of the data, and consequences of someone else getting it.

That is where self-destruct apps are the best. A couple bad password tries and poof, hard reset. I actually put a small stick on the back of my Treo that says "password: springer" so as to sucker thieves into trying it.

This assumes you keep nothing of value on the SD card.

2.) Prevention of theft. If it's not on you, it's at risk. All you can do it take reasonable precautions. If you have to use a locker that you can't secure well (i.e. with your own lock)the best way I have found is use a small plastic bag shoved in your shoe, with your socks in there. Then leave a "bait" moneyclip with about $10 in plain site. Most thieves will take the cash and move on.

Also, if you see a theft, act. I saw a guy lift a lady's laptop bag and intercepted him. He got beligerent, but when it became obvious I was not to be trifled with, he gave it up. That wasn't enough - I took him down and sat on him until the cops came. You need to enforce things yourself in order to dissuade these punks. If you aren't big, take a pepper spray class and carry it. I know many people will disagree with this, but after 45 years on this planet, I have found the only true deterrent to theft is an ***-whooping.

3.) Recovery. Most of the time it is unlikely. I am surprised there isn't a "owners" site for items, where you can register serial numbers, etc. That way, could check against it on eBay auctions, etc. Maybe someone will do this...

Location based services (gps) are probably the only way to make things better. In a few years, when LBS are commonplace (cheap), then you will be able to hunt down the rat bastards.