Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm has let someone else get to market first with something that should have been the handheld maker's coup.

From the Wired article "Nokia (NOK) also unveiled its N91 multimedia phone, which will have a 4-GB hard drive that can store thousands of music files. The phone is due out by the end of the year."

Why does Palm always wait until someone else does it first before they do it best?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus
    Palm has let someone else get to market first with something that should have been the handheld maker's coup.

From the Wired article "Nokia (NOK) also unveiled its N91 multimedia phone, which will have a 4-GB hard drive that can store thousands of music files. The phone is due out by the end of the year."

Why does Palm always wait until someone else does it first before they do it best?
    And they're not hardly optimistic...

"Nokia unveiled new premium phones, including one with an MP3 music player that the company said will outsell Apple Computer's iPod and a camera phone that it forecast will surpass Canon's offerings."

....King of the WORLD....
    Has Palm's main focus always been more on business customers needing solutions, or people wanting gadgets period? Think about it. That device sounds more like an iPod or MP3 player competitor. iPod and MP3 players = fun gadgets. Palm = useful business devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    I've been a long time Palm user (as you can tell 'cause I still say "Palm" way too often), and it has been difficult sitting by watching progress in so many areas while it feels like a "blood from a turnip" effort to have Palm innovate.

Treos are great, I've had a 270, 600 and now a 650, but the hard drive was an obvious move from way back. What are they waiting for?
    Why not put wings on it, and surpass Boeing and Airbus as well??? While we're in conquering mode
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Why not put wings on it, and surpass Boeing and Airbus as well??? While we're in conquering mode
    Wings - should we just be able to "will it" done by now.

Seriously, the hard drive thing seems like a no brainer though......
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Probably, on a Treo or PPC phone. But I wonder if the Nokia will have a USB or FireWire port? I'm not interested in dialing up and paying $.99 a pop to make use of my 4GB of storage.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The hard drive would remove the need for expansion cards? That would have been a good idea for the Treo if so. But it looks like Nokia was working with Microsoft, so if anything a PPC would have it first.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    You'd think so, but remember that the Palm OS as we know it today is not a file-based OS; it's a records-based (i.e. database) OS.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The hard drive would remove the need for expansion cards? That would have been a good idea for the Treo if so. But it looks like Nokia was working with Microsoft, so if anything a PPC would have it first.
    Well, I do have one in my Toshiba e755. (Okay, it's a 4GB Microdrive)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    You'd think so, but remember that the Palm OS as we know it today is not a file-based OS; it's a records-based (i.e. database) OS.
    just wait for Linux-based Palm smartphones in 18 months...that'll be sweet with hard drives and file systems. Just gotta wait for the app developers to catch up
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I am hoping that a Treo "LifeDrive" with a 4gb microdrive is only six months behind the Tungsten X that is coming out next month. Maybe this will be our year end Holiday present in the form of a Treo 700 -- or will they go "Treo X"?

Yes, I am the eternal optimist.
    Honestly... I just want WiFi.. I don't need the crazy storage or any hard drives that can go bad with a little jiggle. I'm still one of those idiots with no data subscription for my treo; I use reverse-DUN. I don't know why I can't get myself to pay $25 for data access... I just can't!!!!

- Sid Vajirkar
    Unlocked 650
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    But I wonder if the Nokia will have a USB or FireWire port? I'm not interested in dialing up and paying $.99 a pop to make use of my 4GB of storage.
    The Nokia N91 multimedia phone with a 4GB hard drive is slated to have bluetooth and........USB 2.0. It is supposed to be commercially by the end of 2005. Hmm, wonder how far behind the next Treo will be.
    Because of the scary stories about $1K bills from Cingular? I don't have a data plan yet either, mainly because I still use my laptop to get online more, AND it has Wi-Fi. I'll get a data plan when I really need it, LOL!

Because of the scary stories about $1K bills from Cingular?
    I haven't heard of one call to a CSR tough that hasn't started with "Sorry, we'll fix that for you...." I am on the "pay as you go" plan and I haven't exceeded $4 in data as yet. I have afriend who gets no data charges at all on the same plan but he's keeping that to himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by vajirkar
    I don't need the crazy storage or any hard drives that can go bad with a little jiggle.
    ... and which suck away at the juice all day. Of course they could cram in a giant battery as well, but then you get something the size of the Tungsten X.

I'd be happier with a 4 GB SD card.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC

And also, with the size of an Ipod Shuffle, there is no reason Palm can't put 1GB of flash memory into the next Treo, especially when keeping the same form factor and size of the current Treo.

-------------------

Sprint Treo 650
    1.08 rocks !
    Because of the scary stories about $1K bills from Cingular? I don't have a data plan yet either, mainly because I still use my laptop to get online more, AND it has Wi-Fi. I'll get a data plan when I really need it, LOL!

Okay Lady Treo, I know this classifies me as being hopelessly out of touch, but what does LOL stand for?

Live On Line?

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    ... and which suck away at the juice all day. Of course they could cram in a giant battery as well, but then you get something the size of the Tungsten X.

4GB!?! I will be just estatic when my 2GB card finally gets here!!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast