Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    MS antiSpy is just a repackaged version of Giant AntiSpyware.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    This quote had me rolling:

"if you are getting guidance from a trade rag, no wonder you hold the opinions that you do.
    Again, I didn't say I take guidance from it. I do read it for its reports on what is happening in the industry. When a trade rag does a survey and reports the results, I find the information valuable . Like when they reported that the cost of ....er...."upgrading" to Win95 costs on average from $2500 - $4500 per box, it was one of the tools I used to talk people I dealt with out of Win95 and move them directly to NT4....well that and the published benchmarks showing it avergaed 37% slower on the same "brand new" boxes. Our own benchtests by the way came out with a 40% difference.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]This CCIA sounds like a PAC to me...not on the radar as an authority on security, that is for sure.[/QUOTE]

Nope....but if you believe so, there is always the FBI's own site.

[/QUOTE]I never said mixed environments do not exist, just that fewer working pieces means less security holes.[/QUOTE]

It's comparable to walking around with a single flat head screwdriver as oppoosed to a flat head and a phillips head.....ya gotta carry more tools but you are better prepared for any situation. Or better said it's like building security. If you have 48 storage vaults and put all 48 behind one pass key, your position says I only have to worry about losing 1 key. Bit if I lose that key, then every vault is vulnerable. If I have two keys in the hands of 2 different people, it's not very lilkely that both people will lose their key on the same day.

[/QUOTE]Comparing this discussion to Iraq is irrelevant and in poor taste. Considering my friend, who never once hurt a fly, had his head hacked off while he was bound and screaming by those animalistic effs, I guess I have a slightly different perspective.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't comparing it to the war in Iraq (I have a god daughter over there still myself) and having another family member awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously, it's not as if we have been untouched by war. But the reference I made was not to the war but the "selling" of it. Reasonable people will differ on any issue, sometimes they will change their mind when presented with information and yet some people will believe what they wanna believe despite what information is put in front of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    What do you recommend the small business consumer get if Norton is not that great? I have been using Symantec products for at least 6 years. Also, what anti-spyware should we get? There are too many to choose from without a little advice.

I have heard Kapersky(sp?) AV is supposed to be good. I think this was one of the programs that caught the virus on your client's workstation?

Thanks!
    I started managing on line forums back in the 1980's for Compuserve. We were "given" copies of F-Prot to manage the forum libraries and screen all uploads (twice using 2 different products) before releasing them for download) and I always used it as my "2nd" AV checker....with Symatec and McAfee as the primary (thinking not to put all eggs in one basket <g>). In the workplace, I have since moved to F-Prot as my primary and PC-Cillin as my secondary. F-Prot is a steal...at home IIRC, it's $29 for 5 workstations. In the office, it's like $2 - $5 a seat depending on how many seats. Minimum purchase is a 10 seat license for a whopping $50.

As for Spyware, we use an arsenal. Ad-Aware / SpyBot / Spyware Blaster / Giant / CW SHredder / Hijack This. Giant has apparently OEM'd their product and you can now download it as the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 05/09/2005 at 01:45 PM.
    Comparing digitial security to physical security does not fly. Physical security is based on location, digital is not.

It's not about having more tools - it's about having the _correct_ tools. And it's all about overall business objectives balanced with security design,
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Comparing digitial security to physical security does not fly. Physical security is based on location, digital is not.

It's not about having more tools - it's about having the _correct_ tools. And it's all about overall business objectives balanced with security design,

Like I said, reasonable people will disagree on such matters. The issue of note which goes back to the original post however stands:

1. Market surveys have documented that corporations are moving to mixed environments in a big way. What was 20 % / 80 % 5 years ago is now 80 / 20 among large outfits. This has been repeated in dozens of pubications.

2. Of the reasons the people being quoted are citing for doing so in their opertion is being able to survive a OS specific attack.

This strategy undoubtedly will not be agreed with by all and in some situations it could backfire. Handing a Windows IR guy responsible for dual environment puts him in the position of having to manage something with which he may be unfamiliar or overburdened doing so. Now that is obvioiusly worse than a homogeneous environment as at least one side is not getting full and expert attention. But having an IT staff of 10 and assigning knowledgeable people to specific roles won't present such a situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Palm = useful business devices.
    Because we all know that having a hard drive would be useless to business users.
    Keep it in the context I posted it in, please. The original post was about the device storing music files. Although I'm sure the hard drive could be used to store other things.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So you did get the RAZR...

(i know, off topic...blah blah blah...)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yep, it's a cool phone! The Treo is still No. 1 though!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345