Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How many securities holes, 2000 ?
    Are you answering your own question??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Which you'll never get. Why one thing is better than another thing is completely subjective. I can give you a million reasons why one thing is better than another, but if you feel strongly about the "losing" product, it won't really matter to you, will it?

You like the Palm OS, mikec (and, for the record, myself), seems to lean towards PPC. I've stated on this forum many times that I love my Treo, but if I had a choice between Palm and Windows running on my Treo, I'd take Windows every time. That's my preference. You may say to prefer Palm because you find it simpler. I'll say I prefer Windows because it offers more options in the OS. Those are two different answers for the same question, but we're both right. You prefer it one way, I prefer it the other.

So if I say I think that MS is better and I'd prefer a Windows-powered Treo, then that's obviously what I think is better.

And the whole concept that Windows is less secure than Mac OS X is complete garbage. That translates directly to a Windows-powered Treo being less secure than a Palm OS Treo. These are myths that the Linux and Mac crowd (and the Firefox and Thunderbird crowd, as well) like to use to preach their "superiority". There are no major viruses for Linux or Mac because truthfully, no one cares to pick on the smaller guys.

Garnet isn't a major upgrade over the last few versions of Palm OS. Cobalt is. Where's Cobalt been hiding? Let's take a poll to see which will come to market first, Cobalt or Longhorn. Or whether you'll see a Windows-powered Treo or a Cobalt-powered Treo first. Betcha it's a Windows-powered Treo.
    No I need actual details. I want to use PPC too, just am wondering why it's better when desktop Windows isn't that superior, like they want us to think. Since no one can seem come up with actual details, just subjective arguments that mean nothing to me(notice I gave ACTUAL reasons why I think Windows isn't so great), I'll have to wait until I can get hold of a PPC myself to see what you all are talking about.

Anyway, Linux, Mac and Mozilla offer alternatives to the monopoly of MS. Monopolies are never good as we can see MS has fooled many people into thinking they're the best when they're really mediocre. Firefox is one example of why they're NOT the best!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, you could've gotten XP in 2000. It was Windows2000. XP was a facelift. I still prefer and use 2000 over XP.
    Do you mean we who don't know the ins and outs of software got snowed AGAIN by the great MS into buying an old program that was repackaged????
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Do you mean we who don't know the ins and outs of software got snowed AGAIN by the great MS into buying an old program that was repackaged????
    It's a wonderful thing!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Are you answering your own question??
    Was just hoping it was dating issues not security issues they used in titling.

Actually, it's been worse with PocketPC's. Other than VGA support, nothing has changed that much since PPC2000. (And I'm a PPC fan, before people start calling me PalmBoy.) Minor tweaks here and there. But the built in versions of pWord and pExcel are much less capable than DTG. You'd need Textmaker to get a full blown PPC Word Processor...

Quote Originally Posted by vajirkar
    Honestly... I just want WiFi.. I don't need the crazy storage or any hard drives that can go bad with a little jiggle. I'm still one of those idiots with no data subscription for my treo; I use reverse-DUN. I don't know why I can't get myself to pay $25 for data access... I just can't!!!!

- Sid Vajirkar
    No data plan on a Treo?!!??? WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

1 | 2
    agreed, why would I want to use a data plan when I have a wifi network in the house. That's just illogical.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    it's a fallacy to think linux is less/more secure than windows, and it certainly is not being used to "harden" corporations.

Security is 90% process and 10% technology.

It is much much easier to secure a Windows environment...the exploits are well publicized and have fixes.
    Where'd you get that from ? I disagree with your statement, as does the National Secutity Agency and the FBI and just about any independent authoroty not paid by MS, as to what the greatest computing risks are but that was not my point. Whether Windows has 19 risks and Linux 17 in a given period was not the issue I addressed. The fact that Firefox market share has quadrupled in the last qurter and is on target to have as much as 25 % market share (now at 11%) by next quarter was not the issue I addressed.

My point is regardless if whether you are using Linux or Windows, you are less vulnerable in a mixed environment. If you have 100% Windows, and you get a windows virus you are 100% outta commission. If you are 100% Linux and you get hit by a Linux vulnerability you are also 100% exposed. If you have 50 / 50, then anything that hits still leaves 50% of your resources upa nd running.

And anyone who thinks running an AV scanner (or even two) is a secure solution, they are quite naive. I just got done cleaning a client's station who was using BOTH Norton and McAfee. Here's a report I got prior to cleaning out the machine.

AntiVir 6.30.0.7/20050427 found nothing
    AVG 718/20050427 found nothing

BitDefender 7.0/20050427 found [Win32.P2P.SpyBot.A669C959]
    ClamAV devel-20050307/20050427 found nothing
    DrWeb 4.32b/20050427 found [Win32.HLLW.SpyBot]
    eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0/20050427 found nothing
    eTrust-Vet 11.7.0.0/20050427 found nothing
    Fortinet 2.51/20050427 found nothing

F-Prot 3.16b/20050426 found [could be infected with an unknown virus]
    Ikarus 2.32/20050427 found nothing
    Kaspersky 4.0.2.24/20050427 found [Backdoor.Win32.Spyboter.gen]
    McAfee 4478/20050427 found nothing
    NOD32v2 1.1079/20050426 found [probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus]
    Norman 5.70.10/20050426 found [W32/Malware]
    Panda 8.02.00/20050427 found nothing
    Sybari 7.5.1314/20050427 found [Troj/SpyBot-Fam]
    Symantec 8.0/20050426 found nothing
    VBA32 3.10.3/20050427 found nothing

Note that all of the major vendors missed this thing entirely. It was particularly nasty to get rid of since it disabled event viewer, task manager and msconfig.

The more popular AnnaK virus also blew right past Norton. The reality of the situation is that when interviewed by trade journalists, the most common reason for moving to a second OS in the enterprise is "diversity" and "redundancy". People don't want their entire staff and access to information crippled when a virus , malware or even Windows Update comes along and breaks or diasables something
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    That Nokia would have to be amazing to be better than the Treo, for even with the Treo's faults, it's pretty good. I just had a Nokia 9300, and it wasn't all that great. The Treo has a lot going for it, the least of which is a massive software base.
    Here's a reveiw of the 7710

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04...ew_nokia_7710/

some of the excerpts I have posted below

The 7710 is a beast of a phone, but it has to be to accommodate the myriad bells, whistles and, let's face it, foghorns that Nokia has crammed into its latest smart phone. It weighs in at a pocket-busting 190g and sports dimensions to make a family car blush; you know almost immediately that you're holding something a bit different in your hand, sorry, hands. But, two hands is definitely the case here - one-handed operation is nigh-on impossible. Nokia even provides a cute little stand to rest it on, though it isn't very stable when you're charging the phone......

Start-up, however, was disappointingly slow and to be honest the processor seems a little sluggish. The whopping 90MB of RAM helps, though, and with an MMC expansion slot hidden inside, we can't see memory ever being an issue....

Mind you, the black leather case that came bundled will not see the light of day unless you want to be seen chatting into to your granny's purse..... However, I thought the video playback was decidedly average.

The screen is also a real advantage when using the web browser, which really suffers from the lack of connection speed. Despite lacking 3G the 7710 is a heavyweight in the data division too. The GPRS connections I used were quick to connect with no dropouts. Bluetooth reliability is vastly better than previous smart phones I've tried.

Verdict

The 7710 is a positive early step by Nokia into a touch-screen interface smart phone and should appeal to anybody wanting a PDA with added phone features. Advanced users might be frustrated at its lack of speed, and a version with a faster processor and 3G would be a product to be reckoned with. Gamers will love it regardless."
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    agreed, why would I want to use a data plan when I have a wifi network in the house. That's just illogical.
    If you never leave the house, that makes sense. If you're on the road 2, 3, 4, 5.... days a week, it goes from logical to necessary
    Has Palm's main focus always been more on business customers needing solutions, or people wanting gadgets period? Think about it. That device sounds more like an iPod or MP3 player competitor. iPod and MP3 players = fun gadgets. Palm = useful business devices.
    The 600 is a useful business device

The 650 is NOT a useful business device
    I disagree. It has phone, calender, & contacts. And email connection. All necessary for my business.

You can diasgree, but you are wrong. You are wrong about NSA and FBI stating things supporting you (they don't).

Your comments indicate you have zero enterprise computing experience. I have over 20 years experience, countless certfications, an invited speaker to conferences, and gov't clearances. I know a bit of what I talk about (and learn more each day).

All things being equal, a homogeneous environment is always more secure. Period. Heterogeneous environments have intergration points and therefore more security issues.

Obviously, in the real world, environments are more mixed. that is why processes that provide for risk managed security are critical.

AV is not spyware dectection; I forgot to mention I run anti-spyware as well.

If you are running into so many viruses, there is something wrong with you controls and processes, as well as technology. Everyone knows Norton is crap (can I say that BarkBeagle?). There are better apps, and more importantly, better ways to protect yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    You can diasgree, but you are wrong. You are wrong about NSA and FBI stating things supporting you (they don't).

Your comments indicate you have zero enterprise computing experience. I have over 20 years experience, countless certfications, an invited speaker to conferences, and gov't clearances. I know a bit of what I talk about (and learn more each day).

All things being equal, a homogeneous environment is always more secure. Period. Heterogeneous environments have intergration points and therefore more security issues.

Obviously, in the real world, environments are more mixed. that is why processes that provide for risk managed security are critical.

AV is not spyware dectection; I forgot to mention I run anti-spyware as well.

If you are running into so many viruses, there is something wrong with you controls and processes, as well as technology. Everyone knows Norton is crap (can I say that BarkBeagle?). There are better apps, and more importantly, better ways to protect yourself.

Read more carefully. It was not my workstation that was infected.....22 years and 56 machines, never an infection. I don't use the programs which didn't catch the virus....a client did. Now he takes my advice on what AV/ AntiSpyware to use and dropped his "Symatec is god" approach.

If you are an IT professional, you should be reading InfoWorld. Would you qualify IBM and HP as being knowledegable on the subject ?

IBM:

“It’s gone to the vast majority [being] heterogeneous,” says David Bartlett, director of customer and partner programs at IBM’s (Profile, Products, Articles) autonomic computing group. Formerly, the ratio of homogeneous to heterogeneous environments was about 80-20, but that ratio has at least reversed itself, Bartlett says. Companies’ desires to be global, to operate on a 24-by-7 schedule, and to be on the Internet have led the way to heterogeneity, Bartlett says.

“Most customers today usually have a mix of server types,” according to Jim Goethals, infrastructure simplification program manager at IBM’s systems and technology group. "

HP:

"Rather than IT shops settling on one paradigm, mixed environments of commercial and open source software will prevail, Hewlett-Packard CTO and Chief Strategy Officer Shane Robison said Wednesday during a keynote presentation at the Software 2005 conference here.

With 60 percent of companies having a mix of open source and commercial technologies, HP anticipates the persistence of this hybrid model, according to Robison. "

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...preadms_1.html

Report: Widespread use of Microsoft poses security risk
    Organizations should diversify their software mix, says industry group

"Whatever Microsoft's strengths or failings as a developer of reliable software, the mere existence of an operating system monopoly is a critical security risk, argues a new report released Wednesday at a Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA) gathering in Washington, D.C.

"Written by seven IT security researchers, "CyberInsecurity -- The Cost of Monopoly" calls on governments and businesses to consider in their buying decisions the dangers of homogenous systems, and to diversify the software mix deployed in their organizations"

Last I looked Internet Explorer was still No. 8 on the FBI's Top Ten Threats to Computer Security. This was teh first of hundreds of hits on the web query

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/927

A look over here has web browsers at 6

http://www.sans.org/top20/

Scrolling down we see 15 IE vulnerabilities diswcovered since 06-30-04 compared to 7, 2, 8 for Mozilla / Netscape / Opera.

Reasonable people will disagree as to whether a homogeneous environment is more secure .... but many people are still waiiting to find WMD's in Iraq and refusing to beleive thatvthey just aren't there.. The trade publications reporting on what the industry is doing are reporting massive moves to mixed environments. Now either they are lying, it's apart of some anti MS conspiracy or it's really happening.
    This quote had me rolling:

"If you are an IT professional, you should be reading InfoWorld"

Hahahahaha. I haven't had such a good laugh in a while. You can't be serious...if you are getting guidance from a trade rag, no wonder you hold the opinions that you do. I read IW 10 years ago, before I realized what schlok it was. There are far better sources in this day and age.

This CCIA sounds like a PAC to me...not on the radar as an authority on security, that is for sure.

I never said mixed environments do not exist, just that fewer working pieces means less security holes. The most devasting security breaches I have seen has been on Linux. Not saying that MS doesn't have it's problems, just that they are more well known.

Comparing this discussion to Iraq is irrelevant and in poor taste. Considering my friend, who never once hurt a fly, had his head hacked off while he was bound and screaming by those animalistic effs, I guess I have a slightly different perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Read more carefully. It was not my workstation that was infected.....22 years and 56 machines, never an infection. I don't use the programs which didn't catch the virus....a client did. Now he takes my advice on what AV/ AntiSpyware to use and dropped his "Symatec is god" approach.
    What do you recommend the small business consumer get if Norton is not that great? I have been using Symantec products for at least 6 years. Also, what anti-spyware should we get? There are too many to choose from without a little advice.

I have heard Kapersky(sp?) AV is supposed to be good. I think this was one of the programs that caught the virus on your client's workstation?

Thanks!

Best anti-spyware according to numerous comparative tests done in the last 3 months is CounterSpy. It's better than MS (and incorporates all their innovations by contract). It found stuff on my PC none of many other anti-apyware/adware programs found.
    http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/CounterSpy.cfm
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Best anti-spyware according to numerous comparative tests done in the last 3 months is CounterSpy. It's better than MS (and incorporates all their innovations by contract). It found stuff on my PC none of many other anti-apyware/adware programs found.
    http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/CounterSpy.cfm
    Its hard to say that CounterSpy is the best when PCWorld's article clearly states that MS Antispy caught 91% of all spyware as compared to 85% for CounterSpy. Best of all MS Antispy is free.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast