Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Having read all the threads here, I'd like to chime in with a long standing axium of the computing world:

"One great shortcoming of Microsoft is it's inability to be ALL things to ALL people, despite more than a decade of trying."

Microsoft has succeeded on so many levels, yet they have failed in thier primary mission. To be all things to all people. The point being, I have always favored the Palm for its simplicity and austerity. Save the bells and whistles, please.
    Don't dismiss MS so readily...if there was a Treo that ran PPC, it would outsell Palm OS 3 to 1, whether we like it or not.

It would be a boon for P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Don't dismiss MS so readily...if there was a Treo that ran PPC, it would outsell Palm OS 3 to 1, whether we like it or not.
    If I accpet that logic, I would be at a loss to understand why the "Treo killers" we keep hearing about fail so miserably. Personally, one of the main reasons I buy a Treo is that it does not run windows. Those in Corporate America who are moving to linux aren't doing so cause it's cheaper, they are doing it to diversify and "harden" their IT structure. Singularity leads to vulnerability. Palm lets me decide what to put on the thing. Bill G. decides on MS OS's.

Why do you think that? What really is so great about MS over Palm? Or is it the fact that many are just outright sheep of MS?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Lady Treo,

So anyone who thinks MS does anything vaguely well is a sheep?
    (implying stupid non-thinking lemming)

That's pretty condescending.

The form factor and design of the Treo is the winner, not the OS.
    it's a fallacy to think linux is less/more secure than windows, and it certainly is not being used to "harden" corporations.

Security is 90% process and 10% technology.

It is much much easier to secure a Windows environment...the exploits are well publicized and have fixes.

The most devasting viruses I have seen are from Macs, surprisingly enough.

the MS boogeyman does not work anymore...
    i agree with mikex. I did not buy the treo because it had the palm os. In fact when i had my dell axim I actually really liked the ms system. It was logical, intuitive and "looked" much better. I never had a problem with crashing (not anymore than my treo) It also has a better synch system. Real time synching is much better than pressing a button and having to wait. But if I had to choose between palm os and ms os on the treo, I gotta tell you...I'd go with ms. I know...ms is "bloated" but really, who cares, most hardware can handle it. That's why I am looking at the samsung i730 instead of the 650. Treo form factor and WIFI and ev-do (why doesn't the 650 support ev-do?), but ms os. Don't hate me though.
    it's a fallacy to think linux is less/more secure than windows, and it certainly is not being used to "harden" corporations.

Security is 90% process and 10% technology.

It is much much easier to secure a Windows environment...the exploits are well publicized and have fixes.

The most devasting viruses I have seen are from Macs, surprisingly enough.

the MS boogeyman does not work anymore...
    ok, when was the last time you saw a devistating mac virus? let's not kid ourselves here...MS has a target on their backs and people love to hurt Gates. I have never seen nor have I been warned about a virus on my MAC. There have only been like 3 major ones in the past 10 years.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    That Nokia would have to be amazing to be better than the Treo, for even with the Treo's faults, it's pretty good. I just had a Nokia 9300, and it wasn't all that great. The Treo has a lot going for it, the least of which is a massive software base.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Lady Treo,

So anyone who thinks MS does anything vaguely well is a sheep?
    (implying stupid non-thinking lemming)

That's pretty condescending.

The form factor and design of the Treo is the winner, not the OS.
    I have MS on all my PCs, they really aren't as superior as they want everyone to think. Their Office program chokes my PCs memory with SP2, I had to remove it! Front Page is OK, but Dreamweaver ROCKS!! XP is actually good, except for all the space hogging updates they keep having me download every month or so! Why is it the new IE with SP2 can't tell the difference between a real pop-up and a simple new window, but Firefox can? Why does Outlook have so many security hole updates, I just refuse to use it?

I've used Mac too, OS X and up is cleaner than Windows, IMO.

It isn't that I'm not an MS user, it's just that they aren't so great. I want to try a PPC too, however. I just wanted to know why you thought they were better than the Palm OS, when the desktop version needs some help. Is the PPC version really better? Or do you just think it will sell on a Palm because so many simply refuse to try anything else(the sheep I was speaking of)?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Because of the scary stories about $1K bills from Cingular? I don't have a data plan yet either, mainly because I still use my laptop to get online more, AND it has Wi-Fi. I'll get a data plan when I really need it, LOL!
    What no data plan - is that allowed here
    Why is it the new IE with SP2 can't tell the difference between a real pop-up and a simple new window, but Firefox can? Why does Outlook have so many security hole updates, I just refuse to use it?.....Or do you just think it will sell on a Palm because so many simply refuse to try anything else(the sheep I was speaking of)?
    Most people started with windows cause "it was free" when ya bought a puter from Dell or hatever. If Dell sold anything else to their customers, MS would double the license fees it charged Dell. People hate change so they stuck with it. By the time the courts got involved the "battle" was over"....or is it ?

MS now has 11 % of th browser market and a recent study predicted 25% by the end of next quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    ok, when was the last time you saw a devistating mac virus? let's not kid ourselves here...MS has a target on their backs and people love to hurt Gates. I have never seen nor have I been warned about a virus on my MAC. There have only been like 3 major ones in the past 10 years.
    I saw this one a few years back. It got on every machine in a 2,000 user company. Corrupted/destoryed tens of thousands of documents. Backups were infected as well. Company took a huge hit, and almost went under. It was not pretty. When they found out it was a virus, they were incredulous..."WHAT?!? Macs don't have viruses; that's a Windows thing".

Over the past 10 years, I have never been hurt by a windows virus (they have all been caught and quarantined/deleted); I keep servers patches properly, and just use basic AV on the desktop. Yes, there are a lot of danger, but they are easily muted.

I agree MS is the one everyone hits; but a bright light illuminates the whole area.
    I have MS on all my PCs, they really aren't as superior as they want everyone to think. Their Office program chokes my PCs memory with SP2, I had to remove it! Front Page is OK, but Dreamweaver ROCKS!! XP is actually good, except for all the space hogging updates they keep having me download every month or so! Why is it the new IE with SP2 can't tell the difference between a real pop-up and a simple new window, but Firefox can? Why does Outlook have so many security hole updates, I just refuse to use it?

I've used Mac too, OS X and up is cleaner than Windows, IMO.

It isn't that I'm not an MS user, it's just that they aren't so great. I want to try a PPC too, however. I just wanted to know why you thought they were better than the Palm OS, when the desktop version needs some help. Is the PPC version really better? Or do you just think it will sell on a Palm because so many simply refuse to try anything else(the sheep I was speaking of)?
    I don't know if PPC on a Treo would sell better (I think it would just because of the corporate factor), but again, as citi said, it's the form factor.

Also, MS has updated PPC several times in the past 7 years....Palm has not.

Again, this isn't a religious war over Palm vs. PPC; it's how can PalmOne make as much damn $$$ as possible. Selling Treos running both PPC, Palm, Symbian, whatever, is a good way to go.
    Also, MS has updated PPC several times in the past 7 years....Palm has not.
    Garnet 5.4 isn't an updated version of Palm??? What does it mean when the number keeps going up then?

Palm 5.x is essentially Palm OS 3.x

the only "updates" have been color, hi-res, and networking shims.

More changes mean more committment to developing/improving the offering.

MS hamstrung early efforts by forcing one screen size/resolution. now that they have changed this, more hardware opportunties will pop up.

Where's JakeE with his Phantom V device? :-)
    I still don't know why people think MS is so much better than Palm?
    I need a few actual details, please. What kind of updates made PPC so much better cause the desktop updates are slow at best! XP should have been released in 2000 instead of ME, which was a repackaged version of 98b according to those in the know! SP2, which is really security features, should have been included LONG ago if MS was really ahead of the game!

Well, if Windows OS is used as an example, it is every bit as tempermental, and is prone to every kinda of cyber attack known to man.
    I still don't know why people think MS is so much better than Palm? I need a few actual details, please.
    Which you'll never get. Why one thing is better than another thing is completely subjective. I can give you a million reasons why one thing is better than another, but if you feel strongly about the "losing" product, it won't really matter to you, will it?

You like the Palm OS, mikec (and, for the record, myself), seems to lean towards PPC. I've stated on this forum many times that I love my Treo, but if I had a choice between Palm and Windows running on my Treo, I'd take Windows every time. That's my preference. You may say to prefer Palm because you find it simpler. I'll say I prefer Windows because it offers more options in the OS. Those are two different answers for the same question, but we're both right. You prefer it one way, I prefer it the other.

So if I say I think that MS is better and I'd prefer a Windows-powered Treo, then that's obviously what I think is better.

And the whole concept that Windows is less secure than Mac OS X is complete garbage. That translates directly to a Windows-powered Treo being less secure than a Palm OS Treo. These are myths that the Linux and Mac crowd (and the Firefox and Thunderbird crowd, as well) like to use to preach their "superiority". There are no major viruses for Linux or Mac because truthfully, no one cares to pick on the smaller guys.

Garnet isn't a major upgrade over the last few versions of Palm OS. Cobalt is. Where's Cobalt been hiding? Let's take a poll to see which will come to market first, Cobalt or Longhorn. Or whether you'll see a Windows-powered Treo or a Cobalt-powered Treo first. Betcha it's a Windows-powered Treo.
    I'm back!
    XP should have been released in 2000 instead of ME, which was a repackaged version of 98b according to those in the know!
    Well, you could've gotten XP in 2000. It was Windows2000. XP was a facelift. I still prefer and use 2000 over XP.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast