Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Okay Lady Treo, I know this classifies me as being hopelessly out of touch, but what does LOL stand for?

Live On Line?

Cheers, Perry
    lol=laughing out loud

more storage is always better, but how big would a treo be even with the smallest (in mass not storage abilities) hardrive?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    lol=laughing out loud
    Or in Lady Treo's case "Look Out Lips"...cuz here I come.

Bad monkey! BAD!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Thanks Felipe!

I sort of knew that!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    You'd think so, but remember that the Palm OS as we know it today is not a file-based OS; it's a records-based (i.e. database) OS.
    That's true, but the SD cards have an NTFS file system, if I remember correctly, a M$-compatible file system for sure. So a hard drive would not make a difference in this respect.

I don't think a 4 GB hard drive in a Treo is that great. I could easily put a 1 GB SD card into my Treo and have thousands of songs on it as well, for no extra weight and not that much money, plus less battery consumption because of no moving parts when compared to a harddrive.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I agree. A fast 2GB or a future 4GB card would be the way to go, for reliability and space. (Although, why not incorporate 512mb or 1GB of memory right into the circuit board?)

Anyway, I am confused by the math. (Thousands of songs on a 1GB card?) I have Real Player songs at 4mb to 6mb each -- I get 200 songs on my 1 GB card. To get 2,000 songs on a 1GB card -- they would have to be 512kb each. Do MP3s get that small?

Cheers,
    Anyway, I am confused by the math. (Thousands of songs on a 1GB card?) I have Real Player songs at 4mb to 6mb each -- I get 200 songs on my 1 GB card. To get 2,000 songs on a 1GB card -- they would have to be 512kb each. Do MP3s get that small?

Cheers,
    Small is an understatement! I have 508 songs on my iPod, and they take up 3.96GB. Of course a lot are @320kbps and 256kbps, but still, THOUSANDS?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Or in Lady Treo's case "Look Out Lips"...cuz here I come.

Bad monkey! BAD!!!
    Shameless lech!
    I agree. A fast 2GB or a future 4GB card would be the way to go, for reliability and space. (Although, why not incorporate 512mb or 1GB of memory right into the circuit board?)

Cheers,
    OK, ok, I was exaggerating, sorry! 200 songs is more likely. Apple says you can have 1000 songs on their iPod mini with 4 GB, so also not thousands.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I've seen how well these mini hard drives hold up in hard use (I've used a 340MB and a 1 GB microdrive for camera use). I'm not sure I want to be dependent on one, thanks just the same. If an ipod dies, well, it's an inconvenience. If my Treo dies, it's more than that.

As memory continues to get larger (in capacity, not size) and cheaper, I think that's a better way to go. 2GB SD is relatively cheap now, and it will get cheaper in the future. 4 and even 8 GB will be here reasonably soon.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus
    Palm has let someone else get to market first with something that should have been the handheld maker's coup.

From the Wired article "Nokia (NOK) also unveiled its N91 multimedia phone, which will have a 4-GB hard drive that can store thousands of music files. The phone is due out by the end of the year."

Why does Palm always wait until someone else does it first before they do it best?
    It's main function isn't a MP3 player, buy an Ipod.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Shameless lech!
    What of it??

Can't help it, that avatar makes me wanna do bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Oh, but I do beg to differ. My Treo 650 is my IPod, my PDA, my Cell Phone, my BlackBerry and my Internet Browser, and my alarm clock, and my check book register, and my 460,000 word dictionary, and my portable spreadsheet device and . . . . . . .

I use all these capabilities equally. I do not want to carry 4 devices. So, obviously, my Treo 650 is my little piece of heaven on earth . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    What of it??

Can't help it, that avatar makes me wanna do bad things.
    Me too
    I've had a 1 gig SD card for almost a year now. I still have 270 mb free; over 600 mb is music. There are only 94 titles (and all ogg files, smaller than mp3s).
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Webster's 3rd New International Dictionary, Unabriged
    (32mb of SD Card space + PalmReader Pro)

In case anyone was wondering . . . . . . .

Yeah, I know, nerd to the nth degree ...

Actually, a co-worker, uses the term "techie-geek-noid"

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/28/2005 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    That's why I said earlier, Palm tends to focus more on business users than gadget lovers. They incorporate both but still the main focus in business use. If they did put 4GB on any Palm device, it would probably be marketed for storing documents, PC files, or something similar. But storing music would probably be an afterthought.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think Palm recognizes they have a winner in the Treo's form factor, and adding an internal hard drive like those in iPods would blow that form factor out of the water. Another strike against incorporating a hard drive is $$. What would a Treo cost with one of those inside?
    The real winner is when the Treo slims down like a RAZR SLVR V8.

That would be nice...
    I love my Treo 600. I used to carry a PDA and a cell phone. I got so annoyed with the burden of carrying two devices, I immiediately looked for an alternative. I found the T-Mobile Sidekick, it was a lemon. I bought the T-Mobile Sidekick 2, it is still a lemon. Then I went to the PalmOne Treo 600 and I never looked back. I love this device. It lets me sync without having a wireless data connection that cost $20 a month. It never broke on me, it is reliable, and I have tons of apps that I bought on it.

The opposite can be said of the closed-proprietary OS of the Hiptop 2. I like how the PalmOS is open source, sort of, anyone can develop their own software for the PalmOS. All I want now is probably more internal RAM and WiFi on the Treo lineup (the 600 and 650 both have too little RAM and no WiFi).
    Down the line, if P1 finds a way to make it super easy for people to port data from a T650 to a next gen palm/Treo device (Palm OS 6?), they would win alot of people over, even P1's most vocal critics. (As long as they don't skimp out on memory.)
    ###
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast