Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi I have been lusting for a 650 for a while now and I am about to make my move but I am somewhat confused by the different data plans out there with different carriers. I am leaning to Verizon as my family and my wife's family have Verizon and the locations where I need the phone are well covered, but today I took a look at their data plans and all I could say was YIKES!!

I am a heavy user of the internet but do that at home and at work. I want the phone for the PDA-Phone thing and really don't see myself getting email and doing any web browsing. I was told today at the Verizon store that they didn't sell the phone with any pay as you go plan which would be ideal for me. At that time I pointed out that I could go online to Verizon and order a 600 and signup for a pay per KB plan. Their reason was that people were coming in complaining about $1000 cell phone bills. That is when I asked about their data plans.

What is the deal with the expense of these plans?

Verizon unlimited (which I wouldn't need) $45.00 a month??? Heck that is more than I pay for broadband cable and it is a hell of a lot slower.

What is worse is $25.00 for 5 MB??? Heck I can download that in my sleep.

I then took another look at Cingular but I am gun shy re: their Customer Service and reports of regular $1000 bills for folks who have supposed unlimited access. And they have the same very high prices per MB as Verizon does.

What is your bill like? What is the best plan for my needs?

Thanks for your help.

d
    Sprint Vision at $15.00/month is your best bet, if you want to pay the least amount for unilimited date.
    /Tony
    Sprint Vision at $15.00/month is your best bet, if you want to pay the least amount for unilimited data.
    /Tony
    Well, since you asked:
    Sprint Unlimited Data $15/mo (plus an extra $5 for unlimited text, brings it to $20)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    With discount I get unlimited data on AT&T network for $18.75 monthly. This is not bad for an average EDGE download speed of 100 - 120k
    I pay $24.99 for unlimited EDGE on Cingular. And Cingular coverage is great.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rahenkamp
    I was told today at the Verizon store that they didn't sell the phone with any pay as you go plan which would be ideal for me. At that time I pointed out that I could go online to Verizon and order a 600 and signup for a pay per KB plan. Their reason was that people were coming in complaining about $1000 cell phone bills.
    Is anyone doing this? How is it working out?

d
    T-Mobile Tzones $4.99 with EDGE speeds and full data functionality. Doesnt get any better.
    Get unlimited Vision and Pictures for $10 now, including 100 text messages. If you want unlimited texting, add $5. Second unlimited Vision & Pictures line on your account costs $5 more. I left Verizon for Sprint in March because of the data plan. So far I have been very happy with customer service.
    Exterminate!

Palm Pilot-> Palm Pilot 1MG upgrade-> Palm IIIx-> Visor Deluxe-> Visor Prism-> Clie N610c-> Verizon Kyocera 7135-> Verizon Treo 600-> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Diamond
    I use Sprint as well and it's only $15 for unlimited data and $5 for my wife. There is a speed test tool on www.dslreports.com made specifically for mobile devices, and by there standard I'm consistently hitting 100-120k download speeds...not too shabby if you ask me.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    I use Sprint as well and it's only $15 for unlimited data and $5 for my wife. There is a speed test tool on www.dslreports.com made specifically for mobile devices, and by there standard I'm consistently hitting 100-120k download speeds...not too shabby if you ask me.

This is interesting..... and you know that while I was at the Verizon store today they were bad mouthing Sprint and they said that Sprint was not selling any more 650's because of some "mysterious" problem. I forgot to state in my original post that I also want to be able to roam in Michigan for two months out of the year and I don't want it costing me. How can you find out about how good the coverage is if you haven't tested the phone in the location you are interested in?

My “ideal” provider would have:

1) Family rate - need 2 phones and we don’t need a whole lot of minutes
    2) Text messaging
    3) Descent rate for Data $20-25
    4) Coverage in Tampa
    5) No roaming in Michigan (North of Traverse City)
    6) Unlimited calls between me and my wife

And of course I want all of this for as little as I can. I thought I was settled on Verizon but now I am not so sure because of the Data cost $45.00/mo just seems WAY too high for what I think I need but on the other hand I am NOT interested in getting a $1000.00 phone bill because of data use.

Totally confused,

d
    [QUOTE=rahenkamp]This is interesting..... and you know that while I was at the Verizon store today they were bad mouthing Sprint and they said that Sprint was not selling any more 650's because of some "mysterious" problem.

...I have Sprint here in the Miami,FL area and my Treo is not able to connect to Vision anymore..I have had this problem now for 2 weeks and have had my 650 replaced and still it doesn't work. I guess this is the mysterious problem they are talking about... I have spoken to Sprint Techs several times and they don't know what's wrong... I'm going for my 2rd replacement on Friday.... If it doesn't work still, I'm asking for my money back and leaving Sprint.... This Stinks
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Wait a second, you were at the *Verizon* store and they were bad-mouthing *Sprint*? What has the world come to?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigg
    With discount I get unlimited data on AT&T network for $18.75 monthly. This is not bad for an average EDGE download speed of 100 - 120k
    I keep seeing references to $24.99 (before discount) unlimited AT&T plans, but haven't seen exactly what to ask for to get this. They keep telling me $44.99 or $49.99.... What's the magic phrase?
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    I keep seeing references to $24.99 (before discount) unlimited AT&T plans, but haven't seen exactly what to ask for to get this. They keep telling me $44.99 or $49.99.... What's the magic phrase?
    don't tell them that ur using a treo? lol thats might be the reason they are giving u plans for PDAs, the $24.99 is really just for mobile phones but they try to make u sign up for the PDA plan
  16.    #17  
    Yea you can't trust anyone anymore.... <grin>

d
    The plan is $24.99 before discount but as mentioned you can't tell them you are using the Treo 650. If they pull up your account just tell them you didn't like the Treo and you put the sim card in your V600, MPX220, or Nokia. I added the unlimited data plan recently to one of my other lines and it was a chore for customer service as the $24.99 plan was no longer in the system but they were able to add it manually. This is exactly how it is listed on my bill: "MMODE/DATA SERVICE (UNLIMITED)"

Don't talk to people....do your buying fronm the Cingular we site and add Media Net Unlimited to your account
    Sprint. Unlimited data and text $10. When they increased to price to $15 they kept mine at $10. I also have unlimited text. Don't know why some people only get 100 free text messages a month.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast