Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    So for 100MB on your Blackberry your looking at $585!!!!
    That is so absurd, it ought to be illegal to charge anything like that. If companies would lower their pricing and embrace wireless tech, the world would be a much more advanced place!
    As early adopters of data via cel phones that is what we get perhaps, the price is going to come down but I agree most data plans (Excepting Sprint and maybe the new Earthlink/SK thing) in US are way overpriced. We pay as much for broadband access at home and in some instances less.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...age=27#4706625

Interesting thread at that link..note that Mark Rejhon is hearing impaired...pretty sad situation for people like him that need different services and get shafted with ridiculous rates!

Eg;

Data:
    56 megabytes in December (~$300 bill)
    57 megabytes in January (~$300 bill)
    47 megabytes in February (~$275 bill)

Check out his homepage http://www.marky.com/main/index.html and click "Hearing FAQ" and scroll down to "How do I communicate over the phone line?"
    I pay the following on T-Mobile:
    $49.99 3,000 anytime minutes (local calling area - CA & NV)
    $19.99 Unlimited T-Mobie Internet
    $2.99 300 text messages

Not a bad deal at all!
    question for the t-mobile group.

someone posted they get unlimited data and wifi, which I assumes means hotspots for $29.99

I currently have a hotspot acct and pay $29.99. I have been thinking about getting a GSM phone, and wonder what's the cheapest phone plan available.

Trying to save costs by doing a combo deal.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by votm

someone posted they get unlimited data and wifi, which I assumes means hotspots for $29.99

I currently have a hotspot acct and pay $29.99. I have been thinking about getting a GSM phone, and wonder what's the cheapest phone plan available.

Thanks.
    as far as i know, t-mobile does not package cell service with the hotspots. you have to subscribe separately.
    i've never paid a cent for data. i guess b/c i've had sprint vision since it existed, they don't charge me? i don't know why really, and i don't ask.
    Hi, I just bought Cingular TREO 650 for two reasons. One, I was drooling over the cool toy (a student of mine had one from sprint and he let me play with it a few times). Two, I wanted better coverage that Tmobile couldn't provide.

I have been a Tmobile Sidekick customer for over 2 years. I love their $29.99 unlimited data plan. Tmobile's coverage is spotty in many areas where I'm from and the SK hardware is too limited for my preferences, so I was looking to upgrade to Treo 600 with Tmobile. It just didn't compare to 650. And Tmobile does not offer 650. Of course, there's still a chance I may have my new 650 unlocked and use Tmobile.

Now, after reading posts about the Cingular unlimited data plan...I asked the Cingular sales rep for unlimited data plan and they said $44.95 (plus 9 dollars tax). It's the PDA connect plan. Should I be getting an unlimited data plan cheaper than that? If so, how? I suspect that the reason for this price is for those who use their pda to connect their laptops to the internet. I'm fine using my laptop with an ISP. I would appreciate any help.

Also, I noticed in the posts people say they pay for like $10 or $15 for unlimited data. When I read that I suspect these are costs in addition to voice plans. I don't need a voice plan.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bmagee
    Also, I noticed in the posts people say they pay for like $10 or $15 for unlimited data. When I read that I suspect these are costs in addition to voice plans. I don't need a voice plan.

Ben
    They are all costs in addition to voice plans, no matter the carrier.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by votm

Thanks.

way back when, when t-mo started offering hotspots on mass, they had a little web site issue.

they made a mistake and made it seem that you can get both for one price (i dont remember if it was $20 or $30). then figure out their mistake and corrected it.

there was a huge thread in the gsm forum. something name amazing deal from t-mo.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    thanks felipe.

its actually to t-mobile benefit to offer both together (wifi and cell data), because most likely you would not be using them at the same time.

They could charge a slightly higher rate for the package and get a ton of takers.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero
    Thanks. I'll give customer service a call tonight when I get home. Anyone else can confirm that they successfully downgraded from $15/mo to $10/mo....or the details of this package? - thanks!

P.S. - lately Sprint's tv commercials are advertising watching tv just by getting Vision. I got vision and where's the tv option?? and streaming music option?...are all these phone specific only and not for the great Treo 650.
    Yes, I've downgraded from the $15 per month to $10 per month. Basically what I heard the trick is, to call in telling them that you want to quit the Vision service because it's too expensive. I did that, but it sounded like the lady was just going to disconnect me as I asked, instead of offering me a lower price. So I asked her specifically if they had anything for cheaper, she told me to "hold on for a minute" while she checked (I think she must have been new), and then told me she could give it to me for $10 a month.

About the TV or streaming music option, it sounds like its a more expensive Vision package if you want the media streaming ($25 a month), and only available with certain Multimedia enabled phones.
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...Multimedia7400

Maybe they'll make software to enable the Treo?... Is there already a Multimedia player for Palm that can do video streaming?

Cheers,
    Jacob
    Now, after reading posts about the Cingular unlimited data plan...I asked the Cingular sales rep for unlimited data plan and they said $44.95 (plus 9 dollars tax). It's the PDA connect plan. Should I be getting an unlimited data plan cheaper than that?
    Unlimited PDA Connect is $5/mo less ($39.95/mo) with a voice plan. You can't go cheaper than that without going into metered data plans.

With Cingular you do get EDGE, which you don't with TMO except in very limited areas, and you get better coverage in some areas and more expansive voice and (to some extent) data coverage as well.

The one carrier I do not EVER recommend for smartphone/PDA users is Verizon -- they sell a 650 with crippled Bluetooth compared to even the Sprint 650 (Verizon has an utterly paranoid fear of BT file transfer/OBEX), charge 3x more than Sprint for the same speed ($45 vs. $15), have been known to send nastygrams to those who use "too much" data and/or tether, and have huge gaps in data coverage, including in places where Sprint/Cingular/TMO data all work (Oklahoma City, coastal North Carolina save for Fayetteville, etc.)

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    They are all costs in addition to voice plans, no matter the carrier.
    Cingular and TMO both sell data without voice.

Cingular:
    PDA Connect $39.95 w/ voice plan, $44.95 without

T-Mobile:
    Unlimited Internet / Internet VPN $19.95 w/ voice plan, $29.95 without

But why would you want a Treo without a voice plan?

I'm pretty sure that neither Sprint nor Verizon will activate a Treo on a data-only plan...and if they do they'll likely treat it the same as a laptop data card (read $80/mo)

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer1
    But why would you want a Treo without a voice plan?
    -SC
    Easy. I don't need a voice plan. Why use it if I can't hear anything?

Ben
    Now, after reading posts about the Cingular unlimited data plan...I asked the Cingular sales rep for unlimited data plan and they said $44.95 (plus 9 dollars tax). It's the PDA connect plan. Should I be getting an unlimited data plan cheaper than that? If so, how? I suspect that the reason for this price is for those who use their pda to connect their laptops to the internet. I'm fine using my laptop with an ISP. I would appreciate any help.
    Here's a cut / paste from th Cingular web Site. Media Net gives you unlimited web access PDA Connect adds VPN:

Feature Monthly Charge

Data Connect 20MB $34.99 Add feature
    Data Connect 10MB $24.99 Add feature
    PDA Connect - Unlimited $39.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 2500 messages/month $19.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - Unlimited $24.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 8 MB/month $19.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 200 messages/month $4.99 Add feature
    Extended Nights and Weekends $7.00 Add feature
    MEdia Works $19.99 Add feature
    MEdia Basic $9.99 Add feature
    BlackBerry Access - 4 MB/month $34.99 Add feature
    BlackBerry Access - Unlimited $44.99 Add feature
    Unlimited Shared Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99 Add feature
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99 Add feature
    Voice Connect $4.99 Add feature
    Three-Way Calling $0.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 50 messages/month $2.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 500 KB/month $4.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 1000 messages/month $9.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 3 MB/month $9.99 Add feature
    Basic Voice Mail $1.99 Add feature
    Call Forwarding $0.99 Add feature
    Detailed Billing $0.99 Add feature
    Enhanced Voice Mail $3.99 Add feature
    Roadside Assistance $2.99 Add feature
    Easy. I don't need a voice plan. Why use it if I can't hear anything?

Ben
    True.

-SC
    3 euro for each MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    T-Mobile Tzones $4.99 with EDGE speeds and full data functionality. Doesnt get any better.
    Truth,
    How are you getting EDGE speeds with T-Mobile????
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Truth,
    How are you getting EDGE speeds with T-Mobile????
    He's in a location where T-Mobile users access Cingular towers - and can thereby benefit from Cingular's EDGE speeds.

On a side note, T-Mobile is quietly rolling out EDGE (supposedly nationwide by the end of the summer); so far, in Atlanta, there are at least two Tmo EDGE towers in operation. Right now, if I want EDGE, I have to go downtown to Woodruff Park...but soon (I hope), I'll have it anywhere in metro ATL.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast