Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati
    I pay approx $105 per month via sprint and my plan (which I believe is grandfathered since I got it several years ago) includes the following:-

2,000 nationwide minutes
    unlimited Sprint to Sprint
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited SMS/MMS
    Second line on the plan (my wifes) with the 2,000 mins shared
    I pay approximately $60/month with T-mobile for...
    + 1000 nationwide anytime (not shared)
    + unlimited mobile to mobile
    + unlimited Data
    + unlimited nights/weekends
    + unlimited SMS
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Also, JackNaylorPE, I don't know where you're getting your figures but I doubt you can get 1,100kbps from a Treo on Verizon.
    Ya gotta read the whole post. The very next line under the speeds says:

"Problem w/ Verizon tho is they don't have EV-DO hardware support in the Treo so you are left with the same speeds as Sprint."

Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Where did you come up with those numbers?
    Again, it was in the same post. Published data. PC Magazine ran tests in numerous cities and posted the results of the testing in charts at the links I gave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    I'm not sure why anyone would pay more. lol.
    I would guess the same reasons people pay more for broadband service than they do for dial up at home. There currently exists three "wireless broadband" services in the US of A:

Verizon's EV-DO (not supported on Treo)
    Cingular's EDGE (supported on Treo)
    Cingular's UTMS (not supported on Treo)

On your PC, if all you are doing is sharing short text e-mails, downloading small files and using PDA like web sites, you shouldn't bother going from dial up to cable or other broadband service as you won't see a real benefit for your $49 optonline or whatever a month for broadband service. However if you regularly download large files and visit heavily graphic laden sites, then you'll may prefer the broadband service.

Same with a PDA. If you have the "need for speed", the extra $10 a month could be worth it to you:

PC Mag writes:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail."

Another PC Mag article here shows tested speeds on Cingular at 220 kbps and Sprint at 80 kbps...(watch out for the logarithmic scale on the 2nd one).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770865,00.asp
    Click "Wireless Data Networks Compared"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770853,00.asp
    Click "Test results".

If you don't need that speed, then I say, yes, why pay more....however, if the speed is worth it to people, they'll pay more.

To me, right now, data is a non-issue. I am paying no more than $4 a month for my "pay as you go" plan. Anything I wanna send on my Treo that would take advatange of the speed is too hard to type with my thumbs. I mainly waited for a Cingular model for the extra battery life and the better local coverage (I also have a Verizon phone). But, one of the considerations also was that once I get a new laptop w/ BT, (a likelihood before June 30), then I'll be DUN'ing and that speed will might be important to me.
    I have four lines on my Sprint plan. Three of them were set up a couple years ago and we got unlimited Vision for free on all lines. I recently got married and added a fourth line with another Treo for my wife and hers costs $5 per month for unlimited. Gotta love Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I have a grandfathered T-Mobile TZones plan... $2.99 a month unlimited data. I need VPN capability as well, and have several GSM handsets, pdas, and pc cards, so I also have T-Mobile VPN for $19.99/month. So I get all the functionality, decent speeds (soon to be Edge) for about $23/month! That's not bad really.

why pay for both?

what does tzones give you that unlimited doesnt?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    19.95 on Cingular....unlimited....Media Works....

Its the BOMB.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  7.    #47  
    Thanks to all for your replies, it was helpful.

d
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    $100 CDN for 100MB
    $10 for 200 SMS
    $50 for 700 Voice/Unlimited Evenings/Weekends

Canada has TERRIBLE plans with all their providers!!!!!!!!!! That's retarded expensive!!!!!!!!
    Are those who are paying $10 for Vision with Sprint because they signed up for it when it was at $10 or is Sprint offering different prices in different places?? I upgraded my plan to include Vision in late 2004 and even now the website shows it starts at $15 for unlimited data and 100 sms which is what I have.

The zip code I'm entering is 10001 (NY) and it's $15. What can I do to pay just $10???
    Last edited by opacityzero; 04/29/2005 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero
    Are those who are paying $10 for Vision with Sprint because they signed up for it when it was at $10 or is Sprint offering different prices in different places?? I upgraded my plan to include Vision in late 2004 and even now the website shows it starts at $15 for unlimited data and 100 sms which is what I have.

The zip code I'm entering is 10001 (NY) and it's $15. What can I do to pay just $10???
    I believe it is being offered at $10/mo again. I've seen postings in this thread and others to that effect, but haven't gotten off my lazy rear to check. If so, a call (or seven) to CS should fix you up.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Thanks. I'll give customer service a call tonight when I get home. Anyone else can confirm that they successfully downgraded from $15/mo to $10/mo....or the details of this package? - thanks!

P.S. - lately Sprint's tv commercials are advertising watching tv just by getting Vision. I got vision and where's the tv option?? and streaming music option?...are all these phone specific only and not for the great Treo 650.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 04/29/2005 at 11:11 AM.
    Can somebody please tell me this? I started using PDANet because I am moving. Will Sprint hit me with some random charges? I do have the Sprint unlimited $15 plan. Thanks.
    Current: PPC-6700
    Past: Treo 650
    I can't imagine that Sprint cares or knows if you use PDANet. I also have the unlimited plan and bought PDAnet this week. For me its just for airport access so i don't have to pay $6.95 - $9.95 everytime I get delayed in an airport and want to work. I have no official word on this, but i mean unlimited means unlimited. Anyone else every she a shocker on their Sprint bill?

As long as I have had sprint ..five plus years. They have messed up one bill and they fixed it straight away. They also reveresed several charges on a stolen phone that i did not discover stolen right away and they did not have to do that.

Btw.. I conistently hit speeds above 100-110kps with Sprint, even with two bars of signal. Guess i am a fan.
    Bought 650 thru OTI when it first came out in November last year. I've been paying $20 for unlimited data on Spring PCS, but then I get a credit for $20 so I net out to paying nothing for the data for the 2 years under contract. What a deal!

And I thought T-Mobile data plan was cheap when I had it for $5.
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    I can't imagine that Sprint cares or knows if you use PDANet. I also have the unlimited plan and bought PDAnet this week. For me its just for airport access so i don't have to pay $6.95 - $9.95 everytime I get delayed in an airport and want to work. I have no official word on this, but i mean unlimited means unlimited. Anyone else every she a shocker on their Sprint bill?
    Actually they do care. If they really knew you were going to hook up your laptop, they'd sell you a Connection Card and put you on a much more expensive data plan.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Gotcha yes that is the way they are trying to steer their customer base. But I wonder if they have actually taken steps to increase the charges for anyone using PDAnet. After all they did tell the world that they had every intention of making DUN work on the 650, "in the future". Were they then going to charge more for that? Maybe. Ah well we may never know
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    Gotcha yes that is the way they are trying to steer their customer base. But I wonder if they have actually taken steps to increase the charges for anyone using PDAnet. After all they did tell the world that they had every intention of making DUN work on the 650, "in the future". Were they then going to charge more for that? Maybe. Ah well we may never know

Straight from the horse's mouth (Sprint's website)
    "Sprint PCS Vision Packs are not available with Sprint PCS Connection Cards™, Sprint PCS Connection Kits™ or other devices that can be used as a modem"
    Treoing & Loving it
    Exactly gt5l. However if you're just casually using the Treo as your modem, they're not going to pay attention.

Ture Insertion, you know what I do though, I use pocket tunes to listen to live radio for about 4 hours per week.
    Last edited by gt5l; 04/29/2005 at 04:52 PM.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjocanadian
    Canada has TERRIBLE plans with all their providers!!!!!!!!!! That's retarded expensive!!!!!!!!

Thank god my boss pays for my data , we totally get ripped off here because they havent yet implemented number portability...when that happens people will start shifting and go with whoever offers the most for less. Another problem is we only have Rogers and Fido for GSM....Rogers bought Fido so soon their unlimited $50 data plan will likely be gone.

100MB for $100 cdn isnt too bad for my Treo as I don't surf the web really...For Blackberry I think they call unlimited 25MB($60) and then charge $7 dollar

Here is the fine print for Blackberry plan's

**Rogers Wireless reserves the right to limit usage and charge $7 per additional MB for excessive usage over 25 MB of data per month.

So for 100MB on your Blackberry your looking at $585!!!!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast