Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Sprint. Unlimited data and text $10. When they increased to price to $15 they kept mine at $10. I also have unlimited text. Don't know why some people only get 100 free text messages a month.
    You were grandfathered. The new Vision plans come with 100 free texts. Unlimited is $5 extra.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by rahenkamp
    I am a heavy user of the internet but do that at home and at work. I want the phone for the PDA-Phone thing and really don't see myself getting email and doing any web browsing. What is the deal with the expense of these plans? What is your bill like? What is the best plan for my needs?
    Well That 1st setence is a lot difference from the $25 worth in my sleep sentence that comes later. Most important thing is what things are like in your servcie area....I drove around with Sprint / Cingular and Verizon phones and, since I am not an "all my eggs in one basket" kinda guy, I have two phones....Verizon in the car (built in Onstar) and I went with Cingular on the Treo. The treo gets reception 99% of the places I go and most people I know and do business with are with them so none of those calls count towards my mnutes. With the Verizon, I have to drive about 2 miles from my hosue to get reception. OTOH, when I wa supdsate NY at a conference way out in the boonies, my Verizon thru OnStar was the only wireless phone on the site which got reception. I had 5 Verizon users standing around my car in the parking lot w/ no signal but I was load and clear....must be the OnStar satellite thing adding some "boost". But I digress....

I am like the guy described in your first sentence. I don't mind checking or firing off a quick note from the Treo but I ain't typing a coupla paragraphs with my thumbs, nor am I gonna d/l 20 MB's of stuff on a Treo where a 2" screen makes reviewing it a headache. So I am on the "pay as you go" plan and I am averaging about $4 a month.....I have an associate on the same plan and it seems he is not getting charged for his use.

Sprint charges $15 a month unlimited use at a max of 80 Kbps.
    Cingular charges $25 a month unlimited at a max of 220 Kbps.
    Verizon cahrges $45 a month unlimited ata amax of 1,100 Kbps

Problem w/ Verizon tho is they don't have EV-DO hardware support in the Treo so you are left witht he same speeds as Sprint. Now before ya think this is an easy decision, Cingular's EDGE servcie has an issue of latency. What that is basically "pause" between send and receve requests. Kinda like the tortoise / hare thing. Your data streams in....stops.....streams up for a request....stops.....starts downloading again. So in the end, if you are doing short messaging and PDA formatted web sites, you might notice a slight speed increase with cingular but it be hard pressed to say, you blazin faster than the er....Sprinters.

OTOH, if yu are doing bug downlaods, then you run for longer stretches between those send / receive pauses and you really will see speeds of 220 Kbps.

If ya want to read some very good articles on the subject see:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770717,00.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Sprint. Unlimited data and text $10. When they increased to price to $15 they kept mine at $10. I also have unlimited text. Don't know why some people only get 100 free text messages a month.
    Sprint Unlimited data is now back to $10 a month with no download credits. I'm not sure why anyone would pay more. lol.. that includes 100 text messages, unlimited is another $5.

Bek
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Sprint does not get a max of 80kbps. I've gotten 120 kbps on Sprint (measured on www.dslreports.com/mspeed ). Also, JackNaylorPE, I don't know where you're getting your figures but I doubt you can get 1,100kbps from a Treo on Verizon. Where did you come up with those numbers?

I pay $10 a month for unlimited data on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I pay $29.95 T Mobile Unlimited text,email ,web and wifi ! with my regular plan. I bought an unlocked 650 its sweeet!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    By the way verizons push speed is up to 540 kbs.
  7.    #27  
    GREAT Review!!!! Thanks

d
    Hmmm come to Australia $15 pre month for 1meg...grrrr
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Sprint does not get a max of 80kbps. I've gotten 120 kbps on Sprint (measured on www.dslreports.com/mspeed ). Also, JackNaylorPE, I don't know where you're getting your figures but I doubt you can get 1,100kbps from a Treo on Verizon. Where did you come up with those numbers?

I pay $10 a month for unlimited data on Sprint.
    He did indicate that on a Treo you wouldn't get any faster data than on sprint. That's just what the plan you're paying for is capable of, provided your phone is also.
    I don't blame you for being confused, data is friggin' confusing with all the various plans the carrier's offer

I pay $19.99 for Unlimited data on Cingular ( I had a plan that was grandfathered in ), this includes 1500sms and pix/mms msging
    1 | 2
    Folks,

This is indeed a complicated issue. I have used Sprint on a 600 for since it was released and as business users, the unlimited was included in our plan. You can't beat that. Before that I was on Verizon and paid $80/month for the original 1xRTT data plan.

However, since we have bad reception in our office with every provider except for Cingular, I am contemplating the switch over and have done a ton of testing.

The 24.99 unlimited MediaNet plan in Cingular is great if you just want to surf the web, but it does block VPN access. Sprint's default data plan (at any cost) does not.

Cingular's $39.95 Unlimited PDA Media Net Plan allows you to connect to cingular a different way, and gives you VPN access with no port blocking. A few have suggested that you can get this enabled with the $24.99 Cingular plan, but I was unable to do this after several calls with their techsupport.

If you have read this far and care -- there are tradeoffs in any case.

In my testing of Cingular's Edge vs. Verizon or Sprints 1xRTT (both are about the same at 70-100 down and about 40 up) i have found some interesting things.

1) CDMA data always connects at the same speed but the latency can be terrible. If you are using a VPN and Exchange, synchonizing takes a while because of this.

2) Cingular's Edge seems to be slightly slower on average (usually 60-90 down and 40-50 up) but there is less latency. Exchange and a VPN work somewhat better.

So in the end, you first need coverage, and then you need the best rate plan.

I have not made my decision yet, but I will say that Cingular's coverage is great in the areas I need it (better than VZ or Sprint), and Sprint's data plans and the fact that you can use a VPN are the best. Remeber that Verizon and Sprint have or will have EVDO at near DSL speeds and hopefully the prices will come down, though the treo doesn't support these yet.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoWiz
    ...I have Sprint here in the Miami,FL area and my Treo is not able to connect to Vision anymore..I have had this problem now for 2 weeks and have had my 650 replaced and still it doesn't work. I guess this is the mysterious problem they are talking about... I have spoken to Sprint Techs several times and they don't know what's wrong... I'm going for my 2rd replacement on Friday.... If it doesn't work still, I'm asking for my money back and leaving Sprint.... This Stinks
    I use the Treo 650 in Miami. The poblem is either your phone or your configuration. Vision is working fine, fast and cheap ($10 unlimited data and SMS).
    I pay $10 for unlimited data with Sprint. No additional cost for text messages (I am one of the original Vision users). I added my teenage daughter for $5 for unlimted data and 100 text msgs. Then I added my mom - same: $5. Sprint is the best deal going, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by oztreo
    Hmmm come to Australia $15 pre month for 1meg...grrrr
    US$2.75 (A$3.50) per MB in the Philippines... small grrr
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    $100 CDN for 100MB
    $10 for 200 SMS
    $50 for 700 Voice/Unlimited Evenings/Weekends
    $19.99 unlimited MediaWorks plan with Cingular. It is no longer availible though, I was grandfathered in (Signed up on 2/8, they changed the plans on 2/11)
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Don't talk to people....do your buying fronm the Cingular we site and add Media Net Unlimited to your account
    That doesn't help if one is a "Cingular Blue" customer, as I am.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have a grandfathered T-Mobile TZones plan... $2.99 a month unlimited data. I need VPN capability as well, and have several GSM handsets, pdas, and pc cards, so I also have T-Mobile VPN for $19.99/month. So I get all the functionality, decent speeds (soon to be Edge) for about $23/month! That's not bad really.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I use OTI (sprint dealer who posts here) and get vision for FREE and 20% off my monthly bill. I qualify for all the promotions, but sprint doesn't really care if you do.

Can't beat a $32 monthly bill with unlimited vision and messaging and only a 5$ penalty if I go over my minutes.

-BT
    I pay approx $105 per month via sprint and my plan (which I believe is grandfathered since I got it several years ago) includes the following:-

2,000 nationwide minutes
    unlimited Sprint to Sprint
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited SMS/MMS
    Second line on the plan (my wifes) with the 2,000 mins shared

Overall I like the plan and the coverage (I travel for work) and I don't think that you can really beat the price for all of the above. The only thing that I do is to check the amount of minutes used when it is getting in 20+ days of each month...been bitten a few times for going over 2,000 mins...but don't want to change the plan in any way.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast