Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    What apps are available for my Tre 650 that can randomly access the internet for info? I'm paying $40 a month and I want my money's worth.

Are there any apps for weather that update automatically?

Any headline news type of apps?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I'm not sure this is the right approach... I certainly understand that you feel like $40 is too much for an unlimited data plan (and I agree with you) but if you try to use it constantly then not only will you take up bandwidth that could have been used by other people and slow them down, but you'll justify Cingular's price.

Being a Cingular user myself, it's my hope that they will look at what T-Mobile and Sprint are charging for unlimited data and realize that they're priced way too high. If everyone is abusing the service like this then they'll have no reason to lower the price because people are using tons of data.

I'm not saying that you should hold back on data usage or anything like that... heck... I think I'm a pretty high data user myself, but I wouldn't go out of your way to use bandwidth just for the sake of using bandwidth.

Brett
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not wanting to waste it. I want to use it. I'm looking for worthwhile apps that I can use. I don't believe my one Treo is going to hog all the bandwidth. I jsut used to hace some programs in Pocket PC that gave you online up to date info such as weather and news.
    Check out Treonauts.com; Andrew is constantly listing and reviewing his "best" applications for the Treo 650 and prior models in his monthly blogs. I have learned alot from his daily postings and the review of prior months information.

Personally, I am paying $15 a month for unlimited data at Sprint, so the $6.99 a month for the Handmark Express service is easy to take. News, sports, weather, 411 for businesses and individuals, address mapping, stocks, et cetera. You configure exactly what you want and how often it is updated.

Free 30 day trial. (I sound like a comercial.)

Handmark.com

(At treonauts, you may learn of "free" ways to do the same thing.)
    Ahhh the joys of Unlimited Internet packages!! Here in Canada on Rogers Wireless the best they offer is 100MB for $100
    $100 for 100mb ?!?

That sure puts a damper on the revolution!

Now, I feel truly blessed, lucky, whatever . . . . . .
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I thought unlimited MediaNet plan @ $25 was all that was necessary for the Treo.

I seem to remember elsewhere here that this involved activating the Treo phone svc first, then calling CS and add MediaNet.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Although I could have been bamboozed by sales, you cannot access the Edge network on Medianet. It's very slow.

I am gettng speeds on average of 130kbs.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    That is INCORRECT. EDGE can be used on Medianet or Mediaworks.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I am on MediaWorks Unlimited for $19.99 and consistently get between 100 & 150 kbps.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I was bamboozled!!!
    Yes you were.

Go to the Cingular web site and change your data plan there.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    How do you change the plan? I found where to add the plan but how do you remove the current one? Does selecting the new plan automatically replace the old?
    Quote Originally Posted by phaggard
    How do you change the plan? I found where to add the plan but how do you remove the current one? Does selecting the new plan automatically replace the old?
    General advice is stay away from Cingular phone CSR's.....Never buy the data plan with the phone....this tells the CSR what ya got and the mandate is to sell PDA users PDA plans. It seems though Cingular can't tell what you got electronically, so after you got the phone, just log on to the Cinbgular site, select MY ACCOUNT, select FEATURES, select AVAILABLE FEATURES and MediaNet for $24.99 will be listed. I magine you can delete the DA lan in the same manner from the FEATURES (YOU GOT) tab but I never tried deleting anything.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    That's the problem. I don't want to add one and have 2 data plans. I cannot find a way online to delete my existing data plan.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phaggard
    That's the problem. I don't want to add one and have 2 data plans. I cannot find a way online to delete my existing data plan.
    I had the same problem... I got the $40 plan with the phone and I wanted the $25 plan. I tried adding it online, but I then wound up with two plans. I finally called customer service and asked them to remove the $40 plan (which they did with no problems). I don't think there's any way to remove the plan yourself. I'd suggest calling customer service first, though, and asking them to remove the $40 plan, then going online and adding the $25 one yourself.

Brett