Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi all, i've been a Treo 300 user for a couple of years now but couldn't justify the big price jump to get a 600 or 650. but I spent alot of time entering the contest on Tuesday and it paid off with a win for a free 650! YAY!

Now comes some decision time...I've been using the 300 on Sprint and have been fairly satisfied with the coverage and service. However, if I'm gonna switch, it might as well be now. So, I'd like some advice on whether I should go for the GSM or CDMA model of the 650.

Currently, I'm not that heavy of a voice or data user on my 300. My plan on Sprint is only 300 peak/1000 (or some other large number that is more than I need) weekends for $29.99 and I probably rarely come close to using up those minutes. I don't pay any monthly fee for Vision data services, since I only use the data services on occasion, so I just pay the per KB charges when I need it and I think this probably works out less than if I were paying a monthly and not using it much. I suppose that with the increased capability of the 650 I might want to make more use of things like checking email remotely or looking things up on the web.

I got a new notebook with Bluetooth so I would like to use that for wireless syncing. I'd like to use WiFi for data connections more than cellular data, but I just skimmed through the huge WiFi thread and couldn't really tell if that was a reliable solution or not.

I don't travel overseas much, so I don't think the ability to use the GSM for that reason is that appealing to me.

So my questions are:

1) Other than service prices and quality, are there any feature or other differences between the GSM or CDMA versions of the 650? I compared the two datasheets and they look the same, feature-wise.

2) Do any of the GSM service providers let you 'pay as you go' with data? by that, i mean, you don't have to sign up for a monthly data plan, but they just charge you if you use it. Can anybody suggest a plan on a GSM provider that would give me about what I'm getting right now (or more) for about the same price?

3) If I get a phone from the PalmOne store without service (which is the deal offered by the win in the contest), will it be locked or open to any provider. I take it this only applies to the GSM version, correct?

4) I notice that T-mobile and Verizon don't have the 650 listed on their sites, only the 600. Will they activate a 650 that is from the PalmOne store?

5) Do you think if I switched providers, they would issue me any service credits since they won't need to pay phone subsidies to gain my business?

6) any other reasons to favor one or the other?

thanks for helping me make this decision!

- Collin
    T-Mobile and Verizon are supposed to have the 650 soon.

Sprint has the best pricing on data ($15 for unlimited) I was paying $20 for 8mb at Cingular/ATT. I access my work and home e-mail continuously thru Versa-Mail and HandMark Express is a great service for news, 411 and maps. I could not live without my data plan. You have a vast area of unexplored utility in your Treo usage!!

The GSM model is a quad phone -- so you can use it in Europe and Asia -- with the CDMA model you are limited to the US, I am not sure on Canada and Mexico.

(Check out Treonauts.com -- a wealth of usage examples and info on Treo usage and software.)

Enjoy your new Treo 650 !!
    You lucky *******!

Go for the GSM version for sure. Im a Tmobile customer and have had no problems using my unlocked Treo 650 with them. There are many benefits to using GSM versus CDMA.. one of course is that you can travel worldwide with an unlocked GSM phone but you cant with a CDMA. Also, in general, ive heard more complaints from CDMA users than GSM owners. Oh and another perk.. if you get an unlocked Treo 650 you have the built-in ability to use your Treo 650 as a Bluetooth modem for your laptop. Its pretty wild.

Oh and by the way.. with Tmobile I pay $4.99/month for my Tzones plan and that gives me unlimited internet, email, instant messaging, etc. Whereas with any other provider you are bound to pay at least $19.99/month.

Good luck with everything and once again... YOU LUCKY *******!

Edit: You can post this thread in the Treo 650 forums for more info you lucky *******.
    umm he said he doesn't travel overseas, so that feature doesn't matter to him...

Get Sprint... 10 bucks unlimited vision. You already know how their service is in your area and won't have to bother porting your number anywhere.

Good luck and congrats!

Okay...I'm bitter AND jealous!!! Wait...I'm...getting...over...it...nope!

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! That's great! I'm pretty sure you will be given a GSM phone, did the e-mail state you would have a choice? If not, probably unlocked GSM.

I use Cingular and they do have a number of data plans. Just be careful if you sign up for the $19.99 3mb plan or pay-per-kb, because you will be amazed at how easy it is to stay on the web with the 650. I do EVERYTHING on it and my bill would be huge!

If you go with Cingular, get the $24.99 unlimited MediaWorks plan. Don't tell them it's for a Treo when activating.

Again...CONGRATULATIONS! :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    You lucky *******!

Go for the GSM version for sure. Im a Tmobile customer and have had no problems using my unlocked Treo 650 with them. There are many benefits to using GSM versus CDMA.. one of course is that you can travel worldwide with an unlocked GSM phone but you cant with a CDMA. Also, in general, ive heard more complaints from CDMA users than GSM owners. Oh and another perk.. if you get an unlocked Treo 650 you have the built-in ability to use your Treo 650 as a Bluetooth modem for your laptop. Its pretty wild.

Oh and by the way.. with Tmobile I pay $4.99/month for my Tzones plan and that gives me unlimited internet, email, instant messaging, etc. Whereas with any other provider you are bound to pay at least $19.99/month.
    Umm, just a few errors above. I think the main reason there are more complaints about the Sprint version is because it came out first, the early adopters were CDMA users, and the GSM folks already had a wealth of knowledge to bank on by the time they got their phones. The Sprint 1.08 ROM update addresses many of the problems Sprint users had with their phones (and only the Sprint version has the NVFS memory fix, so far, although the GSM phones will get it eventually).

There is a simple, readily available patch to let you use the Sprint phone as a bluetooth modem for your laptop, if that's important, so I wouldn't make that a factor in your decision.

Unlimited internet with Sprint is available for as little as $10 a month, not $19.95.

T-Mobile doesn't offer any high speed (EDGE) data services, I believe, which means data usage will be significantly slower than on Cingular or Sprint. Whether this matters you need to decide. I use the data service more than I do the phone, so it matters a lot to me. Cingular offers Edge, but you'll pay a lot more for data than on Sprint or T-Mobile.

How satisfied are you with Sprint now? I think that's the real key. You could simply replace your current phone with the Treo and keep the same plan you have now, if you're satisfied with it. Then, if you find you'll be using data services more, upgrade to a new plan with Vision.

To me, the choice of service comes down to 3 factors: call quality, coverage, and cost. I tried Cingular quite a few years ago, and found the call quality to be significantly noisier than Sprint. That might not be true in your service area, but you already know whether you're satisfied with Sprint's quality. You also know whether you're satisfied with Sprint's coverage in your area. Costs you can compare by checking out each providers web pages.

Ultimately, you have to decide what factors are important to you.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    If you use Sprint I would stay there. You do NOT need to switch as the phone is coming from PalmOne and not requiring new cellular service. Save your "switch" for the next great phone you want, maybe the 700. Take this opportunity to upgrade - without having to change plans - while you can. Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself a year from now when there is a T700 or something else, and you are locked into a 2 year deal from the 650 you won - when you did not have to be. Just my 2 cents. Change providers only when you need to, and only when there is a large benefit.
    Use the money saved with the Sprint Data plan to pay your taxes on the phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    T-Mobile doesn't offer any high speed (EDGE) data services, I believe, which means data usage will be significantly slower than on Cingular or Sprint.
    Actually it depends on where you live. If you are fortunate (as I am) to live in the Southern California area then you can get EDGE speeds at present. There are numerous posts in the 650 forum to confirm this. And if you dont live in SoCal, then expect Tmobile to roll out EDGE nation-wide by this summer (along with the Treo 650 supposedly). Keep in mind too that EDGE is faster than Sprints vision (albeit marginally) but has potential to be a lot faster depending on coverage.

Also, since he is not a big data user, obviously T-zones (which offers the same data functionality as Sprint vision) is a wiser choice. Dont spend double the amount on data if you dont need it. $4.99/month will get you everything you need including the ability to surf the web via DUN (without the need of a hack if you go GSM).

If your concern is cost.. then switch out of Sprint to Tmobile. No matter how convenient it is for you to just stay with your current provider youll still end up paying more in the end (which isnt very convenient). They also have the cheapest voice plans currently. Porting your number and switching providers is a small inconvenience you have to pay for cheaper service (assuming you are out of contract). And if im not mistaken, the $10 sprint vision add-on isnt even openly available, it begins at $15/month.

If your concerns are coverage then talk to a friend who has Tmobile in your area and ask him/her what they think. And if there is a discrepancy in coverage between Sprint and Tmobile I highly doubt it would be so huge as to render Tmobile impractical.

Regarding saving your "upgrade" for the Treo 700 (that someone mentioned), Tmobile allows you to upgrade every month (not every 2 years) and since your 650 was free you dont need to sign up for a 2 year plan at the get-go, go for a 1-year contract if you want. This isnt Sprint. So lets say the Treo 700 does come out in a few months and you HAVE to have it, no worries, just pay the discounted price for it and upgrade.
    your last point it true, to some degree. I am not advocating sprint over tmobile, or any plan over another. I am just saying that switching can be a pain, and I would stay with whatever carrier I had currently so long as I was happy. T Mobile may let you upgrade for a discount... but we all know that prices for phones vary widely between carriers. ESPECIALLY for new, hot phones. Amazon tends to have the best pricing, but it requires new service. So if you're happy with sprint, I say stay there and save the "chip" you have and switch carriers when it gives you the most benefit. Otherwise, you are locked into only Tmobile phones, at their prices - for at least a year. Good luck!
    Well, I reveived my 15% discount winning notification today. It has to be used by April 26th. Nothing like a short fuse.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Collins,

Congrats on winning your Treo!!! I on the other hand won a big fat new shiny ZERO!!! boo...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Congratulations!!!!!!
    I don't believe top won anything.
    congrats, man! i won a 15% off coupon. yay... *rolls eyes*

i've got sprint with the $15/month vision. it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Well, I reveived my 15% discount winning notification today. It has to be used by April 26th. Nothing like a short fuse.
    I got the same thing here. I knew a 50% discount wasn't going to bounce my way more less a new 650.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! That's great! I'm pretty sure you will be given a GSM phone, did the e-mail state you would have a choice? If not, probably unlocked GSM.
    the email basically gives you a coupon code for 1 free treo (could get 600 too) at the palmone store. so you can choose between gsm and cdma version of the 650, hence my dilemma.
  18.    #18  
    thanks for all the replies, folks. does anybody know if cingular or t-mobile allow you to access data on a $/KB basis without signing up for a data plan?
    One advnatage for GSM is 50% longer battery life (7.5 hours talk time versus 5.0 for the Sprint). Another is that data sevcie is up to three times as fast. Latency effects negate this difference on small transfers but it is very noticeable on large transfers.

Data costs for unlimited access:

Sprint is $15 @ 80 Kbps
    Cingular is $25 @ 220Kbps
    Verizon is $45 @ 1,100 Kbps fpor EV-DO but the 650 don't have EV-DO

I am on the "pay as you use" plan for data and last month it cots me $4 for data on Cigular at a penny a Kb.

Here's how PC Magazine compared the two:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.

This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail.

Web browsing on Palm's Blazer browser felt slower than the tested 160 Kbps. This is because of the EDGE network's relatively long latency time, which affects the speed at which the Web servers appear to respond to requests from the Treo. It's still faster than Sprint's network, however. Blazer easily handled formatting major Web pages like PCMag.com, and graphics looked razor sharp.

Unfortunately, you'll pay for the privilege of getting data faster. While Sprint's Treo works with the $15/month PCS Vision Professional data plan, Cingular will charge you $39.99 or $44.99/month for unlimited data [ Actually $25 MediaWorks plan is fine just don't tell them you have a Treo]. Cingular reps told us that cheaper, limited data plans will be available in the future.

If $25/month doesn't matter much to your business, choose this model over Sprint's. The longer talk time and Class 10 EDGE modem make the best PDA/phone on the market even more usable."
    One advnatage for GSM is 50% longer battery life (7.5 hours talk time versus 5.0 for the Sprint). Another is that data sevcie is up to three times as fast. Latency effects negate this difference on small transfers but it is very noticeable on large transfers.

Data costs for unlimited access:

Sprint is $15 @ 80 Kbps
    Cingular is $25 @ 220Kbps
    Verizon is $45 @ 1,100 Kbps fpor EV-DO but the 650 don't have EV-DO

I am on the "pay as you use" plan for data and last month it cots me $4 for data on Cigular at a penny a Kb.

Here's how PC Magazine compared the two:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.

This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail.

Web browsing on Palm's Blazer browser felt slower than the tested 160 Kbps. This is because of the EDGE network's relatively long latency time, which affects the speed at which the Web servers appear to respond to requests from the Treo. It's still faster than Sprint's network, however. Blazer easily handled formatting major Web pages like PCMag.com, and graphics looked razor sharp.

Unfortunately, you'll pay for the privilege of getting data faster. While Sprint's Treo works with the $15/month PCS Vision Professional data plan, Cingular will charge you $39.99 or $44.99/month for unlimited data [ Actually $25 MediaWorks plan is fine just don't tell them you have a Treo]. Cingular reps told us that cheaper, limited data plans will be available in the future.

If $25/month doesn't matter much to your business, choose this model over Sprint's. The longer talk time and Class 10 EDGE modem make the best PDA/phone on the market even more usable."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast