Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Sprint is $15 @ 80 Kbps
    Cingular is $25 @ 220Kbps
    I think someone already said it above, but most people on sprint are getting around 115-120, and most people with cingular are NOT getting that full 220.

Collin, just ignore all of us here and do your own research. These GSM/CDMA threads always turn into a my **** is bigger than yours battle filled with mis-info.

Joebar:

The speeds I posted are the results of mutliple city tests as published in PC Magazine article by Sascha Segan in the March 22nd issue, page 93. If you want to read them yourself, they can be found here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1772720,00.asp and hit "wireless networks compared"
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1772935,00.asp and hit "test results"

The Treo 650 review in the previous message also measured a 2:1 download speed difference.

The actual download experience results from latency + download speed. With latency, on small kb size transfers, as I have said before, Cingular and Sprint speeds are comparable. On large downloads, as stated in the article, you really do see the published numbers. This can also be confirmed by the DSL reports site which shows GSM performance increasing with each test as you select larger and larger byte sizes.

Short e-mails, text messages , small images .... you'll notice no difference ..... downloading large files / images .... the difference gets very noticeable. If you don't get large files, or don't intend to do DUN from your laptop, then you won't care.
    I hear ya Jack, but PC Magazine is no longer relevant. Ask any IT guy or read any IT enthusiast message boardwireless network and you'll hear over and over again how awful (and often advertiser biased) their reviews are.

I'm going by the many "what are your speeds" posts on this forum where for every person who is getting 200k with cingular, there's someone getting 50k. It's all about where you are at this point.

4.    #24  
    I've seen the term DUN or reverse DUN used. I know it stands for dial up networking but i don't know what it means in the context of a Treo.

I spoke with Tmobile and they said the $4.99 T-zones only allowed WAP access, not general internet access. I also had a friend that used to use his T-mobile phone as a modem for his laptop via Bluetooth but I also heard later on that T-mob had closed that loophole. What the reality out there?

I also called Sprint to see if they would give me free Vision in exchange for a new contract and I'd waive my right to a $150 rebate on a new phone, but the CSR just kept offering me 7pm nights and weekends and 2 months of free vision (which is the same trial plan that anybody can get at any time).

Somebody earlier mentioned that they were using Cingular's data service on a pay as you go plan...is that something you just use (like on Sprint, if you aren't part of the Vision plan, you just use the browser and get charged by KB) or do you have to be part of a plan? This usage isn't listed on Cingular's website.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am on the "pay as you use" plan for data and last month it cots me $4 for data on Cigular at a penny a Kb.
    You only used 400Kb?
    I typically use an average of 25-30MB. (That would be $250-$300 at a penny per kbp.)
    I learned the hard way when I paid $80 on my bill for using a paltry 8Mb.
    Unlimited data plans are the only way to go.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by collin
    I've seen the term DUN or reverse DUN used. I know it stands for dial up networking but i don't know what it means in the context of a Treo.

I spoke with Tmobile and they said the $4.99 T-zones only allowed WAP access, not general internet access. I also had a friend that used to use his T-mobile phone as a modem for his laptop via Bluetooth but I also heard later on that T-mob had closed that loophole. What the reality out there?
    DUN (in the context of a treo) allows you to use your Treo as a wireless modem for your laptop. This is done wirelessly via the built in bluetooth in your treo 650 and your laptop. This is very helpful because it defeats the need for a public internet service such as Tmobile's HotSpot (which is limited to Starbucks and Borders). Thus you can connect to the internet on your laptop virtually anywhere you have cell phone coverage.

And regarding the T-zones, your friend was incorrect. I am currently writing this post on my Mac laptop while connected to the internet via bluetooth DUN on my treo using Tmobile's T-zones plan. Youre are correct though about T-zones being only for WAP access, however there is a "work-around" that allows full access to the internet although it does require a bit of simple configuration in your Blazer preferences.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    DUN (in the context of a treo) allows you to use your Treo as a wireless modem for your laptop. This is done wirelessly via the built in bluetooth in your treo 650 and your laptop. This is very helpful because it defeats the need for a public internet service such as Tmobile's HotSpot (which is limited to Starbucks and Borders). Thus you can connect to the internet on your laptop virtually anywhere you have cell phone coverage.

And regarding the T-zones, your friend was incorrect. I am currently writing this post on my Mac laptop while connected to the internet via bluetooth DUN on my treo using Tmobile's T-zones plan. Youre are correct though about T-zones being only for WAP access, however there is a "work-around" that allows full access to the internet although it does require a bit of simple configuration in your Blazer preferences.
    thanks for confirming this. i read through some posts last night and it wasn't clear whether that proxy had been shut off or not since there were mixed reports of whether it still worked or not.

i've been leaning towards sprint and the $10 vision plan since that seemed to be a sure thing rather than a loophole that could be closed at any time. does anybody know if DUN works on sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    You only used 400Kb?
    15 e-mails, 2 ferry schedule checks, 4 weather updates via TreoAlarm and 3 times using flight statutus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    I hear ya Jack, but PC Magazine is no longer relevant. Ask any IT guy or read any IT enthusiast message boardwireless network and you'll hear over and over again how awful (and often advertiser biased) their reviews are.
    I am an IT guy and though I don't pay attention to the editorial end of PC Mag, I have never seen anything that would have me doubt their test reults. I don'y see them forging data, evem if their editorial decisions are weak. For example, in that same article they state that they picked EV-DO as their editor's choice because of its speed and "wide availability". I don't think 21 cities qualifies as widely available.

Similarly, when Win95 came out and they wowed about how great it was, they didn't fiudge the numbers in the data tables where it very clearly showed in their 100 PC Roundup that year, that the 35 W4WGs machines outperformed the 65 Win95 machines by 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    I'm going by the many "what are your speeds" posts on this forum where for every person who is getting 200k with cingular, there's someone getting 50k. It's all about where you are at this point.
    One thing you'll also notice about the posts here on TC is that those that did multiple tests at DSL reports showed those slow speeds on the small kb tests but when they posted the 600k tests they showed very high numbers. Again, little transfers....same as CDMA....big transfers, bigger numbers.
  10.    #30  
    i've been leaning towards sprint and the $10 vision plan since that seemed to be a sure thing rather than a loophole that could be closed at any time. does anybody know if DUN works on sprint?
    before things get too far off track, does anybody have any answers to my question about DUN on sprint?

thanks,
    collin
    before things get too far off track, does anybody have any answers to my question about DUN on sprint?

thanks,
    collin
    I can confirm that it does indeed work with the bluetooth DUN patch you can add -- I am actually logged into these forums from a PC posting this message via bluetooth DUN on my Sprint 650. I average 60-70 kpbs for the data speed.
    There's two ways to enable DUN that I now of, one being the shadowmite patch and the other being a hack that someone posted here on TC. A search of the forum should bring up the one posted here.

http://shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12