1.    #1  
    I'm getting ready to sell my Treo and all of my accessories on Ebay since I just purchased a Treo 650. Is there anything technical that I need to consider before selling? I've heard people use the term "unlocked" and I'm not quite sure what it refers to.

What do I need to worry about here? I want to go in with both eyes open so that the best exchange possible is made.
    unlocked refers to the GSM models. Let's say your phone has the Cingular logo on it. It comes locked only to Cingular SIM cards. If you get it unlocked, you can use it with any GSM provider.

Wouldn't worry too much about the technicals when posting. I would provide the manufacturer specs, be upfront about condition and usage.

Plenty of pics couldn't hurt as well. Maybe provide the retail value of all the items you are selling.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    if your phone is not unlocked, get it unlocked before you sell it. This could earn you $50 to $100 more.
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm... now to figure out how to unlock it...

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    who is the carrier and do you know if it is already unlocked.

1 - test a sim card from a different carrier. this is as simple as asking a friend or stopping in another store and asking if you can tedst the phone. if you put another carrier's sim in and you can make a call, it is unlocked.

2 - if you've been with your carrier for more than 90 days, they will all usually unock it at your request - you call customer service and be persistent.
    So "locked" and "unlocked" do not apply at all to Sprint 650's?
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    So "locked" and "unlocked" do not apply at all to Sprint 650's?
    nope only GSM ones.
  8.    #8  
    I have a Sprint Treo 600... (and a new Sprint Treo 650, which is why I'm losing the 600).

I found this article about unlocking...

http://mytreo.net/treo600faq/FirmwareUnlock
  9.    #9  
    So one other question... How do I know if my Treo is GSM? Hell, I don't even know what GSM means...
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco John
    So one other question... How do I know if my Treo is GSM? Hell, I don't even know what GSM means...
    Are you sure that you really owned a Treo?

Does you phone have a SIM card that activates cellular service? If you are with Cingular, AT&T, T-Mobile, then your phone is GSM.

Sprint, Verizon are CDMA.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Some carriers will tell you the code to unlock the phone if you call them up and ask for it. Different carriers have different policies on unlocking. I think t mobile will let you unlock after you have been with them for 6 months.

Peace and Hair Grease.
    How could you have a Treo and not know if it has a SIM Card or not?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i would guess most likely he/she knows that it has a SIM card but didn't realize SIM = GSM...

Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    How could you have a Treo and not know if it has a SIM Card or not?