Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know, it's already too late to have input into the Treo 700, since designs seem to be set in stone months, if not years, in advance. However, recent postings and one avatar in particular got me to dreaming....

1. Slider design: would be the same size as Treo without the keyboard; sliding up to reveal the regular keyboard (and use the camera?).

2. 340x420 screen (yes; landscape here I come).

3. 256mb system ram (one can dream...)

4. STUFF THE ANTENNAE INSIDE

5. WiFi and bluetooth - if only one, drop the bluetooth

6. 1-3 mpx camera with 3x optical zoom.

Now that I think about it, this is probably the 2008 Treo 1000.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I just bought my Treo 650 over the weekend... I don't even want to hear the words "Treo 700" for at least 8 months...
    PalmOne is still rolling out the Treo 650. I don't think you'll hear about the next guy for quite a while, and when you do, expect to wait 6-8 months before you can actually get your hands on one.
    Don't worry, your 650 will still be new for awhile. I got a whole 11 months out of my Treo 600 before the 650 came out! LOL.

While were at it, how about some real specs:
    Treo 700:
    1) Keep the form factor, I love it the way it is, don't change 1 thing. I love the keyboard and don't want it slide out for flip out like those other stupid WinCE PDAs out there right now.
    2) UMTS on GSM, and EV-DO on CDMA.
    3) At 128MB Memory (let's be realistic.)
    4) Native MP3 ring tones.
    5) Yet even faster processor.
    6) built in WiFi would be nice
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    taylorh, If palmOne made the 700 you suggest but swapping number 4s with dstrauss they'd certainly get my money. Does it really need a faster processor though? Seems like it would be hitting the battery pretty hard anyway (but for UMTS, WiFi and 128 MB memory, I'd carry a spare )
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    taylorh, If palmOne made the 700 you suggest but swapping number 4s with dstrauss they'd certainly get my money. Does it really need a faster processor though? Seems like it would be hitting the battery pretty hard anyway (but for UMTS, WiFi and 128 MB memory, I'd carry a spare )
    Yes, a faster processor may be necessary to really handle future needs of video, or even video conferencing which I left off the list because it's silly.
    Even with current EDGE which is fast, Blazer chokes on pages just trying to render them. A faster processor would make blazer browsing much less painful. Hopefully the processor could scale on power consumption based on how much processing is needed for a task.
    I use Xiino and WebViewer, but Blazer looks the best so I use it when I can.
    Either that or sell us a proxy for blazer.

Point being, wifi, UMTS, and EVDO are all of not much value if the processor can't render the pages or content coming down.

Internal GPS is an interesting idea to. That new HP will have internal GPS. I never even thought of that as an option before. It doesn't sound too necessary though.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I know, it's already too late to have input into the Treo 700, since designs seem to be set in stone months, if not years, in advance. However, recent postings and one avatar in particular got me to dreaming....

1. Slider design: would be the same size as Treo without the keyboard; sliding up to reveal the regular keyboard (and use the camera?).

2. 340x420 screen (yes; landscape here I come).

3. 256mb system ram (one can dream...)

4. STUFF THE ANTENNAE INSIDE

5. WiFi and bluetooth - if only one, drop the bluetooth

6. 1-3 mpx camera with 3x optical zoom.

Now that I think about it, this is probably the 2008 Treo 1000.

I like your ideas, but here's a few things to consider. A slider would be just another thing to break, as would an optical zoom (however, that zoom would be nice). Also, you can't really expect them to drop Bluetooth from a phone. All in all, more people would use BT than Wifi I believe.

Oh, and I too pray that they get an internal antenna.
    I think you mean more ppl use bluetooth in phones then wifi in phones (as few as there are). I would like to see the same form factor as now with a VGA screen (4:3 format), 256mb internal, Bluetooth 1.2 (sterio headsets), UTMS would be hot along with an internal antenna. With UTMS who needs wifi?? F*** that... faster CPU would be nice and (linux) Cobalt to top it off would make it sick. I would buy one in a heart beat!!!!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Bluetooth should include support for stereo audio .......
    .no sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by wasinaus
    Bluetooth should include support for stereo audio .......
    That would be BT 1.2, which should be in the next Treo.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    1) 520 mhz intel processor

2) 64 - 128 mb ram

3) blazer 5.0 - with flash player built in - for viewing video news clips, etc within news pages. (sports highlights, etc)

4) keyboard - larger keys - resembling those seen on the "670" photos. - max. real estate used to improve typing

5) bluetooth 1.2

6) 1.3 mp camera

7) voice command

8) 320 x 320 res lcd - 30% brighter

9) battery life - 8 or more hrs possible if new processor can operate using less power.

10) enhanced native applications
    stable email client

11) ev-dv - 1.5 mb / second data speeds. (avg 400mb/ sec.)

this would be a no brainer. I would upgrade INSTANTLY.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Ok well all i got to say is i did not jump on the 650 bang wagon was not going to shell out what kinda mony for anouther device wich was semi obsolite when it came out. I will probaly be heading over to a sony again unless i hear somthing about a new treo.

Specs
    2 megapix min (or get rid of camera all together and save me some mony)
    wifi blue tooth (also musts)
    Can keep the same style but internal attena
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Yes, a faster processor may be necessary to really handle future needs of video, or even video conferencing which I left off the list because it's silly.
    Even with current EDGE which is fast, Blazer chokes on pages just trying to render them. A faster processor would make blazer browsing much less painful. Hopefully the processor could scale on power consumption based on how much processing is needed for a task.
    I use Xiino and WebViewer, but Blazer looks the best so I use it when I can.
    Either that or sell us a proxy for blazer.

Point being, wifi, UMTS, and EVDO are all of not much value if the processor can't render the pages or content coming down.

Internal GPS is an interesting idea to. That new HP will have internal GPS. I never even thought of that as an option before. It doesn't sound too necessary though.
    I guess we have different needs. I don't much care for full-size web pages on a 2.5 inch screen and don't use the Treo for this purpose unless I really have to. I want more speed in part so that the pages I do view in Blazer (nearly all of which are designed for a handheld screen) d/l more quickly but mostly so that email is much faster (essentially, I want it to be instant). I think palmOne are targetting the Treo range at the mobile professional and I suspect that they might have the same priorities as me (that the 600 and 650 have a keyboard at the expense of a larger screen and great big batteries at the expense of slimness supports this view I think).

You have a fair point about video and video conferencing, but personally I'll need to be convinced as to the value of either of those on a phone.

What we'll see in the 700 (or whatever it's called) will probably depend on whether palmOne design it for you or for me
    I dream of WiFi... And a better find function in Contacts! It's really annoying that when you type the first letters only peoples names come up, not the company name. It worked on my old T2 and it still works on Palm Desktop. Why not on the 650...?
  14.    #14  
    taylorh: I think MarC was referring to stuffing the antennae inside (YES!)

bigredgpk: great point - forget WiFi and roll out REAL 3G networks

MisterFuhrman: (a) the slider has been very reliable on the Tungsten and Zire models and serves two purposes: shortens overall length; protects screen; (b) optical zoom is just around the corner - saw an article (month ago) about continuous variable liquid optical zoom lenses, designed specifically for small camera lens apertures - it's coming.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    taylorh: I think MarC was referring to stuffing the antennae inside (YES!)
    I was. Sorry if I was a bit cryptic.

bigredgpk: great point - forget WiFi and roll out REAL 3G networks
    ... but only if the data costs aren't outrageous. The attraction of WiFi for me is free data at work and at home. Realistically, the 3G data charges in the UK will still be pretty horrible when the next Treo comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    I dream of WiFi... And a better find function in Contacts! It's really annoying that when you type the first letters only peoples names come up, not the company name. It worked on my old T2 and it still works on Palm Desktop. Why not on the 650...?
    Try Initiate Light. It's free, and the contacts find feature will search through first, last, and company names.
    One thing missing here. how about bluetooth 2.0 which is three times faster?!!
    "Murphy was an optimist."
    recent postings and one avatar in particular got me to dreaming....
    I gave up my avatar because I found the real me but heres my "up late, drinking a beer, coloring on the computer collection". --->click

These were fun to mess with but I like the one I have the best

I take that back, the next phone I buy will be a (palm, clamshell, high res, qwerty keyboard with an sd slot) phone
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 04/20/2005 at 08:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Fuel Cell Battery!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    gas-powered treo, or maybe hybrid since gas prices are going up...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast