1.    #1  
    I was just getting on a flight when I noticed that my battery olevel was getting quite low. As I like to listen to music and read ebooks during the flight I realized that I need to find a way to charge the phone. I have recently started flying American, and noticed that they have 12v outlets throughout the cabin. So I pulled out my car to USB adapter, as well as my sync/charge cable and was able to charge and use the phone htroughout the filght (at least those parts that I am able to do so )

Saved me having to take out and start up my laptop.

Way to go AA, thanks
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It is my understanding that the use of ANY phone divice is not allowed on a flight even if the phone/communication part is turned off. I have seen attendants tell people that they are not allowed to power them up even though they phone connection was turned off on Southwest Airlines. I thought it strange but did not ask about it.
    Not so. AA flights across the pond specifically say that Smartphones like Treo may be used if the phone portion is switched off.
    It's phone when the phone is turned on.
    It's a PDA when the phone is turned off.
    At least that's my logic. Southwest is a different story from other airlines and there's already a very extensive thread discussing the Treos allowed on Southwest flights issue. SW has this rediculous policty that they just don't ever want to see anthing slightly resembling a phone used on their flights.

Anyway, back to the topic, which is charging on AA. That's actually a really nice thing, it means you can use just about any laptop, music player, DVD player, etc. in flight with the 12V jack. That's cool. I know they started doing in on international flights a few years ago (much more need for it on 12 hour flights) but I wasn't sure which, if any, flights in the US had these jacks.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G