Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    My friend and I are going to do our own internet radio show/podcast audio show.. We'll be doing it all on my notebook computer using two voice mics hooked up to a simple 4 mic mixer going to my mic input, and a splitter from my headphone jack going to each of our headphones we'll wear (duh)..

We want to have one part of the show where we call people and do an over-the-phone interview.. Unfortunately, everything I tried to get this to easily work through my notebook's built-in phone modem failed (must not be a voice modem or speakerphone).. So I figured I would just use my Treo 650 and hook up through the headset jack.. I purchased a cheap headset and cut off the headset speaker and mic, and soldered on an 1/8" jack to each.. Then I plugged the headset earpiece jack to an input on the mic mixer (so we can hear them talk), and the headset microphone jack to the headphone out of my notebook computer (so they can hear us talk)..

One problem: for some reason, the person on the other end says they are hearing and echo.. But, they are ONLY hearing themselves echo, not me or the music playing, etc.. Recording the audio into the notebook is OK, no echos there.. But I need to get it figured out so our callers are natural and not wigged out over their own voice lagging behind them..

Where could this lag be coming from?

-Matthew
    Try turning down the volume on the laptop...when you hear people call radio stations you usually hear the DJ say "Hey can you turn down your radio" :-)

People of course want to hear themselves on the radio but with the delay radio stations use this doesnt play well...this also happens with video conferencing applications if you have your volume to loud on your PC the other person will hear an echo.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    er, if I turn down the volume on the laptop, they won't be able to hear anything (nor will we)..

Perhaps a simple diagram of what I'm doing will help..

-Matthew
    The echo comes from the sound coming out of your speakers (when you hear it) being picked up by the microphone....got a mute switch which you can use while they are talking ?