1.    #1  
    So far I haven't experienced any problems, but I better not - I've had the phone only a day. I was apprehensive about purchasing a Treo 650 because I've heard of so many various problems. Still, something about the phone sucked me in. I don't know the lingo and am still familiarizing myself with all the different applications of this tool. But I do have a few questions. I'd be very appreciative if anybody could answer them in a "Treo For Dummies" type of way. Thanks.

1) About wallpapers. What is the optimum size (in pixels) to use for a wallpaper graphic?

2) SD Card. I have not yet purchased one. It looks like about $100 for a 512MB Card. Can I get these anywhere? Do they have to be made by Palm? How many Mp3's will this hold?

3) Ringtones. The factory ringtones on the phone are horrible. Of course one of the fun parts is customizing with unique ringtones. I'm confused as to whether this device handles MP3's or if I need to download some software/shareware/freeware/etc (any suggestions?)? Now I don't really want to have a 3.5 minute MP3 as a ringtone. Any suggestions for cheap or free software that would help me crop what I need?

4) Any other critical things I need to know at this point?

Thanks for your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan22
    1) About wallpapers. What is the optimum size (in pixels) to use for a wallpaper graphic?
    Well, I'll give ya a hint....screen resolution is 320 x 320.

2) SD Card. I have not yet purchased one. It looks like about $100 for a 512MB Card. Can I get these anywhere? Do they have to be made by Palm? How many Mp3's will this hold?
    You could get a free 128 MB card from PalmOne but there's a thread on here that says it's no longer valid for Sprint users. Newegg has 'em for $38 - $45. As for how many it holds , that;s like saying how many weights can you lift....it will depend upon how much each one weighs. A 512 MB should net you about 475 MB of useable space. So if you have 1 MB mp3's, then you could fit 475 of 'em.

3) Ringtones. The factory ringtones on the phone are horrible. Of course one of the fun parts is customizing with unique ringtones. I'm confused as to whether this device handles MP3's or if I need to download some software/shareware/freeware/etc (any suggestions?)? Now I don't really want to have a 3.5 minute MP3 as a ringtone. Any suggestions for cheap or free software that would help me crop what I need?
    Can't help you there as I don't understand the concept. Other than having one noise for people I wanna talk to and another one for ones I don't, I don't understand the ringtone thing . basicaly, if I hear a ringtone that lasts more than 1.5 seconds, I find it annoying to the extreme. The fire alarm bell ringtone that goes off in a dark room during a seminar where the lights are down so the projector can be used is my particular favorite.

4) Any other critical things I need to know at this point?
    1. Peruse all the "must have", "top ten", "top six", "favorite" apps threads.

2. Put Uninstall Manager (northglide) on as your first app.

3. Grab VoiceDial(er) by Voice Signal.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Jack, I appreciate your reply. I know that the screen resolution is 320X320, but with the clock and status line, plus the menus (I realize I can take the menus off), it's a bit smaller.

I'm going to keep searching the forum, there is some good stuff here.
    rebelfan22, to have mp3 ringtones, you'll need a program like "Ringo Pro" or "LightWav" to let you assign your mp3s from your SD card to your contacts. Also FYI I just bought a 1GB SD card for $78 shipped from Dell.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Quantum man. I just ran to Walmart (I hate that place) and bought a Kodak 1GB card for $75.

I'm assuming the Real Player that comes with the packaged software is what actually plays the mp3's and the programs you are talking about, lightwav and ringo pro, actually assign the mp3's to groups and/or individuals. Do these programs have the capability to "choose" the portion of the clip I want to play when the phone rings or should I just use some PC app to take care of that - then upload the fragmented MP3 to my Treo - then use lightwav/ringo pro to assign the piece....

One last question. I don't feel like shelling out twenty after twenty for each app on my Treo. My friend has one and he has the apps. Can he just beam the whole program to my phone or is there problems with regkey's and that sort of stuff.

Thanks a million guys and gals.
    There are programs to trim the mp3s down to the portion of the song that you want for the ringer. I use "mp3Trim" to do this, which is free.

As for the last question, I actually had the same question, and I posted in another thread in the General Software forum. I don't think anyone has replied yet, but the thread is there.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the tips. I like the mp3trim program, simple to use and not so many bells and whistles that you get confused. I'm glad the first app I installed was Uninstall manager because I didn't really like the lightwav program, I'm going to try Ringo pro.... either that or get it beamed from a buddy at work (if that works).
    Now that you have a card the very next essential program you MUST have is a backup program!! The one I use successfully is "BackupMan" by BitsNBolts (I think). Do a search in Utilities forum using "backup". These darling Treos can get unstable at times (mostly caused by s/w conflicts) so backing up is critical. I have mine to do an auto-backup every night at 10pm.

If you friend beams programs to your Trea they are beamed in demo mode only. So he either has to tell you his registration code or you buy one yourself. My advice is buy your own. We have a lot of hard-working S/W developers in this forum and they are highly respected. We all appreciate their work. Plus if you do not purchase the s/w and code you do not get updates and most of these programs, by their very nature are evolving and you will miss out on the new stuff as it comes out.

Be sure to read the forum "stickies". Great to have you - good luck!
    Re: Paying for Apps... You're right, you could very quickly rack up quite a bill shelling out for every app that you install. Instead spend a little time searching and you will find free apps for just about anything you want to do on your Treo that are very similar to the pay versions.

Now if you're talking about a specific use that is "Mission Critical" to you and the way you use your Treo or you need specific features, then spend a few dollars and get a good program for that. They are generally a bit more stable to boot which will go a long way toward keeping you a happy Treo camper.

Following those tips I now have several useful apps and games without having payed for any yet. I'm leaning heavily toward buying a backup and uninstall app soon though.

Ivory...
    If you don't want to pay for Ringo or find it too involved to use (which I've heard is not the case and sounds like a great program) there are sites for free MIDI tones. They are not MP3, but do sound much better than the stock tones (South Park, Simpsons, classical, rock...there are thousands). They download directly to the Treo. Try treobits or treotones, both have plenty.
    Also, instead of downloading wallpaper, I google something I like (dogs or flowers for example). When I find a picture I like I snap it be pressing and holding the image with my fingernail or stylus. It is then saved to Media where I can use it for a "contacts" image or wallpaper in the phone or calendar apps.

I use "Colorize" to make my screens pink (I know...very girly) and use roses for my backrounds. It looks very unique.

I don't like to install management programs for little things like ringtones or wallpaper because of the memory and added steps it involves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory
    Re: Paying for Apps... You're right, you could very quickly rack up quite a bill shelling out for every app that you install. Instead spend a little time searching and you will find free apps for just about anything you want to do on your Treo that are very similar to the pay versions.

Now if you're talking about a specific use that is "Mission Critical" to you and the way you use your Treo or you need specific features, then spend a few dollars and get a good program for that. They are generally a bit more stable to boot which will go a long way toward keeping you a happy Treo camper.

Following those tips I now have several useful apps and games without having payed for any yet. I'm leaning heavily toward buying a backup and uninstall app soon though.

Ivory...
    Hi Ivory,

Would you share what free as well as useful apps and games you have on you Treo? With links and some description would be appreciated by other newbies, myself included.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by greathome
    Hi Ivory,

Would you share what free as well as useful apps and games you have on you Treo? With links and some description would be appreciated by other newbies, myself included.

Thanks in advance.
    Sure, here ya go. I tried to post this earlier from my Treo but the message got to long for the text screen there. With maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, all these apps are freeware/donationware. I don't have links to them all handy, but a quick search here, on FreewarePalm.com, or Google should find them for you. Feel free to ask questions for anything that I don't cover here and I'll try to answer them for you.

MAIN
    - BigClock v2.6: Decent clock/stopwatch, I keep it for the stopwatch.
    - Directory Assistant v2.6: Nice business/people lookup including phone/address/map and lets you copy info directly to your contacts. Will also grab driving directions. Nice "Navigation" app for driving somewhere you've never been before.
    - Documents to Go: View/edit Word/Excel/etc. files on your Treo. It was on the Sprint CD that came with my Treo.
    - EasyCalc v1.22: Calculator that I picked up because it does graphing. It does a LOT more and there's a long manual you can download, but I have another calculator that I prefer for most other things (below).
    - NotePad v2.3: Simple drawing and hand written note taking app. Great for "back of the napkin" sketches.
    - Parens v1.5: VERY useful and comprehensive calculator and conversion tool that was once included in Handspring ROMs. I use this in my current Math class that recommends/requires a high end TI calculator (~$100). Nice way to save $100 with this free download. This used to be shareware but the developer dropped support a LONG time ago and can't be reached any longer. You can find an old registration code for it with Google.
    - VoiceMemo v1.2.1: MUCH safer way to take a quick note or voice memo while driving. Files can be saved directly to SD card to save memory.
    - (Some Shopping List App): I can't remember the name as it's home and I haven't installed it yet, but the free shopping apps make very adequate shopping lists that you can enter price/aisle/quantity/store/etc. and then sort by any to make your shopping faster and easier. Don't have to re-enter the items next time either which makes your next trip even easier yet.

SYSTEM
    - BrightCam v0.6.0 b06: Awesome app that automatically adjusts my screen brightness and keyboard lights for the current conditions that it sees by checking how much light your camera lens sees. MUCH better than any of the apps that try to do this by having you schedule times of the day for different light levels.
    - ClockPop5 v5.0b1: Hold a button to pop up a time/date/battery info page over any app that you're currently using and then return where you where when you let go. Great way to check time from some time consuming apps (Blazer/Versamail/etc.) without leaving the app and returning/reloading where you were.
    - FileZ: Must have file broswer/mover/editor for RAM and SD installed files.
    - HandZipper Lite: Allows you to download zip files and unzip/install apps directly instead of downloading them to your PC first and syncing them onto your Treo. Also lets you read zipped README files. Nice way to grab apps quickly while on the fly instead of mailing yourself a reminder to download it when you get home.
    - KeyCaps600: Nice little app that lets you type Capital Letters (Hold Letter) and Option numbers/symbols (double-click letter) a lot easier/quicker than using the Shift and Option buttons. Takes a little practice to get used to, but it's completely configurable to your personal likes and click speeds.
    - LinkStart 1.91 Lite: Awesome program that lets you move and run apps from the SD card. Any app that you move will have an App* name in the normal browser (* reminds you where the app is). When run, it imports the file very quickly and runs it. And when you exit it returns the app to the card so you don't have to move it again like some other App-from-SD programs. Some people don't like the * on the name, but if you forget to move an app back to RAM before you upgrade you will have problems, and it's free so don't complain.
    - Qset: Simple little app that lets you adjust the jpeg compression level on pics that you take with the camera. Can improve the quality of pics or save memory depending on which way you go.

UTIL (apps that I rarely if ever use but might be nice to have around some day.)
    - ChemTable v2.22: Like the name says, a full blown chart of the elements. Great for Chem class I guess.
    - SunCompass v1.8: No compass in your car? Just set this up with your approximate location (city) and orient the compass so the sun icon points at the sun and you now have a compass on your Treo. Orienteering anyone?

UNFILED (If you put apps in this category, they won't show up when you scroll through your launcher categories by repeatedly pressing the home button. Nice way to hide things that you have an easier way to get to (dedicated hardware button) like Phone, Calendar, Messaging, etc. and doesn't take up space in your launcher app lists.)
    - KeyShade Hack: App that lets you turn keyboard lights on/off with a 1sec press of the side button (doesn't launch Real Player unless you hold longer). Nice for killing the keyboard lights when you just want to read the screen in the dark without those little keyboard lights blinding you. Press again to turn back on if you need to do some typing.
    - TreoAlarm v0.98: Alarm app that lets you configure several different alarms that are easy to turn on/off individually. Nice extra features let you sync your time with a time server, download local weather just before an alarm goes off (nice in the morning), and can even turn your phone radio on to get the weather and then turn it back off again once done.

GAMES
    - Backgammon v3.1: Free color backgammon.
    - CardHouse: One of many Solitare apps that runs several different versions of the game.
    - Cribbage v2.1: Nice if you know how to play. Been a long time since I got to play Cribbage.
    - Hangman v3.6: Everyone likes hangman, right?
    - Hearts v1.1: Came with Cribbage and Spades, but I'm not much of a hearts fan.
    - Lemmings v4.3: Demo of fun old PC game that is free but expansion levels cost $$. I haven't bought any yet because you'd have to spend $100+ to get all the levels which is probably more than they cost originally on the PC. Talking to the developer to see if he'll lower the price for a bundle of levels.
    - Oracle v1.0: Just for fun, a "Magic 8-Ball" app that will come in handy as a party trick someday.
    - Patience v2.5.2: Another Solitare game with several versions of the game.
    - Polyhedra: Just a neat graphics display app. Fun to play with a couple times but will probably delete soon.
    - Rally 1000 v4.2: My favorite all time Palm game from back in the PalmPilot Pro and III days now updated with color.
    - Solitare v3.07: From Handmark, included on the Sprint install CD.
    - Spades v1.0: One of my favorite card games.
    - SolarWars v3.07: Heard this has been very popular, but haven't tried it yet.
    - Tetris v1.31: Another game from Handmark included on the Sprint CD. This one appears to be a demo that only lasts a certain number of games. I won't be paying for it once it runs out. I'm sure there are free Tetris apps out there if I find I'm jonesing for a game some day.
    - Tricorder: Another "just for fun" app for party tricks among "Trekkies".
    - Vexed v2.1 beta1: Addicting puzzle game with a lot of expansion packs all for free. This app (and all the rest of my games) run nicely from the SD card with LinkStart.
    - YahDice v2.01: Yahtzee for the Treo.
    - Zap!2016 v1.71: Another Handmark game from the Sprint install CD.

That does it. Hope you find something in there that you like.

Ivory...