Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I would love a treo. A year ago I had a handheld and used it all the time, but eventually I got a laptop and sold my handheld thinking I wouldnt use it much. I love my laptop, but in your experience do you neglect your treo for your laptop? Or does it make having a treo even better?
    Also, I am entering law school and would like to get some feedback whether a treo would be nice to have while I am going to school. Thanks guys, I love this community and maybe will join with a treo of my own!
    Manoosie:

I am an attorney. For me, it's just the other way around. I use my
    Treo 650 for virtually everything! I use my laptop only for serious
    and tedious word processing and long periods of net surfing.

With a folding keyboard you can take your Treo to class for note-taking
    and leave the luggable behind!

Dave
    If anything I am less dependent on my laptop.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Hey "TREODAVE", i was just wondering what type of lawyer you were
    I find my Treo usage similar to that of TreoDave and TurboTiger
    manoosie: My personal experience with the T600 and the fold out keyboard was not great. If you use memo's to type up your class notes, there is no 'lag' between the time you type the letter and the time it shows up on your screen. However, you are normally limited in size for the memo (and I had to keep creating a new one 1/2 through class). If you use docs to go, there is a lag (but you gain benefits like underlining and bolding which are great for rules and case names).

I havent tried the 650 with the IR keyboard (or the BT stowaway keyboard?) I suspect there would be some lag too.

Bottom Line: If you are just taking notes and working on your legal memo's, then it is pretty good (that way you can sync on your laptop at home.) I loved not carrying around a 5-9lb laptop (because you already have 10+lbs of books!) YMMV.

Plus-having all your PIM and phone stuff in one device works out really well. You can have all your class info with assignment due dates and you can keep up with calendar events like Moot Court and Law Review.
    I find zero lag with my IR keyboard and Wordsmith, or Docs to Go. And I type quite fast. I didn't use a keyboard with my 600, so I can't compare the two. However, remember that the 650 uses a faster processer so maybe that solves the problem. I use PalmOne's keyboard found at Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20

Regarding law school and the treo, I agree with Treodave, you will love taking notes and checking email on the Treo instead of lugging around the laptop. The books are heavy enough. Just use your laptop for pounding out long papers, Westlaw or Lexis research, etc. Otherwise, leave it at home or in a locker if you can. Since Wordsmith and Docs to Go syncs with the laptop, you have your notes on the laptop after the next sync.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    My 2 cents worth: If I'm going to be doing a lot of typing, the laptop is definitely superior to the Treo with a folding keyboard. OTOH, my laptop won't make phone calls, or fit in my pocket. If I want to do a quick email check, or maybe check the weather via the web, my Treo's finished before a laptop is done booting up. I can sneak an email check in a meeting, read a web page in the john, and do about a 1000 other things that my laptop won't do easily. I spend less time on my laptop than ever.

And, with Shadowmit's DUN patch, I can even use my Treo to connect my laptop to the web when there's no other connection available and I really need a full keyboard.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Second the sentiments of those who are ditching the laptop. I seriously think that the 650 signals the begining of the end for the laptop.

The only thing I'm thinking of investing in is a second phone so I can do simultaneous terminal/VNC connections and voice communications.
    Quote Originally Posted by manoosie
    I would love a treo. A year ago I had a handheld and used it all the time, but eventually I got a laptop and sold my handheld thinking I wouldnt use it much. I love my laptop, but in your experience do you neglect your treo for your laptop? Or does it make having a treo even better?
    Also, I am entering law school and would like to get some feedback whether a treo would be nice to have while I am going to school. Thanks guys, I love this community and maybe will join with a treo of my own!
    (For me) the point is that the Treo isn't just a PDA but a phone too. If you're going to be carrying a mobile phone anyway, you might as well have have one that can replace a larger computer in a lot of circumstances. What those circumstances are will depend on your needs, but for your average techophile (you are posting here after all ) there's an awful lot of those circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man
    Hey "TREODAVE", i was just wondering what type of lawyer you were
    Hi Dhammond_man:

Primarily a civil business practice in southern California with a 30 year emphasis in the bankruptcy field.
  12. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    If I want to do a quick email check, or maybe check the weather via the web, my Treo's finished before a laptop is done booting up.
    I have a Sony Vaio tiny laptop that I used to carry everywhere until I got my treo. Now it stays home. I used to use the folding external keyboard for my previous palms (V and T2) but the treo keyboard works fine for me most times (I have little fingers). If you're taking LOTS of notes you'll need an external keyboard, but I think it's still better than a laptop due to bootup time (and battery usage if you're trying to avoid bootup time).
    My laptop stays home, the Treo 600 goes everywhere. The Treo is used throughout the day and at the end of the day, it is hot synch'd to the laptop. During the evening hours, the forums are done with the laptop, and then the network is virus scanned, trash scanned and backed up. While the network is running maintanence, I sit back and read on the Treo. If I had to give one of them up, the laptop would hit the road. Thing is, there are four laptops and one desktop on the wireless network, so eventually I would run out of things to toss.....

Ben
    I've met the author of this book. Great guy.
    http://www.losethelaptop.com/
    as stated above I use my treo throughout the day then sync at night...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for the advice. I have actually taken notes previously in a pda (dell axim) in my undergrad classes and liked it. However, after having a laptop in class I dont think I could live without it. So I dont think i would be using it to take notes in class with, although there could be occasions i could see myself doing just that if my wife needed the laptop.
    Meyerweb mentioned a patch to connect your laptop and phone for internet. Is it free? I have done this in the past through a cable and sprint eventually started to charge for it. Does the patch get around that? If so that would be great. I can get bluetooth in my laptop, so the sync capabilities would be awesome.
    I am leaning towards getting one. Its just so nice to have a planner in your pocket that can remind you of things and entertain you for those few minutes of lag time you have each day. I just wonder if the cost is worth it, and if I would use it enough during law school to make it worth buying (i just imagine myself sitting in front of my laptop all day...)
  17. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I am leaning towards getting one. Its just so nice to have a planner in your pocket that can remind you of things
    Actually, that's 90% of the reason I got my treo. I had a Tungsten T and a cellphone, and while I always had my cellphone on me, I didn't always have my Tungsten T (it was in my purse, out of earshot). I got tired of missing appointments because I'd simply forgot - it's really embarassing to get a call on your cellphone, so-and-so is here, and you're at least 20 minutes away... The alarm feature in the calendar is great, I set the alarm in details when I'm inputting the appointment, haven't missed any since.
    i: PROLOGUE:

The big question...Since I really intend to lose the laptop--for personal use (not desktop/business)--how hard would it be to synch data from my T600 to a T650--without a laptop? Or am I SOL? Would I have to borrow a friend's computer and enter/synch my exisiting T600 synch ID to get the job done? Some things could be done manually (i.e speed dial, Web bookmarks) but others could not, at least without a lot of time on my hands (i.e. address book, notepad). I figure if I make the leap now with lots of blood, sweat and tears for the T600 to T650 transition, I should come out ahead and coast for the foreseeable future (See Section V to see what I mean.)

I: MY SCENARIO

Due to circumstances beyond my control (at least that's what I tell myself), my laptop died on me (Compaq Presario 2001 or 2002 model) yesterday.

My first reaction was not good to say the least. I'll know in a few days if it's worth recovering, as I'm having it daignosed as we speak. Previously, I had been lugging the laptop back and forth between home and the car, mainly for use at Internet cafes (job search), the whole issue with cookie crumbs and all of that other stuff that tends to gradually damage laptops But the cafe was also an excuse to get out of my Mom's hair while I'm living there (Bad economy and jobs and companies taking their time to hire...) That said, I realized I had become a slave to my laptop and maybe my accident was a gift in disguise...

II: CURRENTLY USE THE T600/THE DATA & STUFF I MIGHT MISS

The only stuff that was on my laptop, of course, was (1) my P1 Hotsynch manager/app (2) DVD/CD-RW drive (3) countless newspaper clippings on housing/real estate and other topics (digital packrat!). Unfortunately, I hadn't hot synched in over three weeks (like that matters now!). I do have the MDM Secure File Back-Up Card (http://www.gomdm.com), so that's not too much of an issue although I did not install the recent updater (for T600s and T650s) for it:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=mdm

On my T600, the apps I use constantly are Agendus, Snapper Mail and Pocket Express (and all the other built-in apps of course). Those are crucial apps for me. That and Splash ID. Oddly enough, so is notepad!

III: MY ORIGINAL PLAN/RETHINKING THE PROBLEM

It was always my plan to "lose the laptop," but with my recent scenario, I just might be jump-starting it a bit! To do so, my goal was to wait 'till the latest Treo comes out (with hopefully Palm OS6) later this year/early next, but now I just may have to get a T650. (Plus, if I do get the T650, I can always sell my T600--with my acessories--on Craig's List.org or on TC itself)

The timing is right, as I have a few more weeks 'till I get Sprint's upgrade program (the 'every 18 months' deal). Contract wise, I'm also month-to-month with Sprint and last Friday--before my laptop crashed--had just changed my Vision to $10/month! (I made sure I was still month-to-month.) Also, the T650s should also have the updater pre-installed by now, if they haven't already. As I write this, I just got a coupon for 15% off any Treo Store order (via the T650 contest they had the other day. Too bad I didn't win a T650!).

IV: T650 (inc. accessories) POINTS TO PONDER

The fact that the T650 has a higher-res screen and a faster processor and Bluetooth makes me think this will make it much easier for me to do the job search exclusively over Sprint's Vision/Internet service. With the free upgrade to Docs-to-Go version 7 (resume editing on the fly!), this looks like a good deal. I was also on the verge of getting a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD card. (Again, with the T650's faster processor speed, this should be a nice little perk.) Then there's this groovy little thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=treo+laptop

V: Future PALM OS ugrades & BLUETOOTH, POINTS TO PONDER:

For the ftuture: Hard to gauge now, but how easy/difficult would it be to upgrade software and apps from T650 Palm OS 5.4 to OS 6.0 hardware/Treos (I'm still hoping it wont be Microsoft Pocket PC!) when that time comes? In theory, on the basis of T650's Bluetooth, most programs should make the switch easily (Bluetooth T650 to Bluetooth Txxx.) On a similar note, I'm hoping the brain trust at P1 will find a way to hot synch/transfer data from a T650 To a future Treo device--without using a laptop.

VI: CONCLUSION

Well, that's it! I hope I made my case for 'losing the laptop,' at least from a T600 to a T650 to a...perspective. If I missed any important topics/insights, please let me know.
    ###
    Thanks for the advice. I have actually taken notes previously in a pda (dell axim) in my undergrad classes and liked it. However, after having a laptop in class I dont think I could live without it. So I dont think i would be using it to take notes in class with, although there could be occasions i could see myself doing just that if my wife needed the laptop.
    Meyerweb mentioned a patch to connect your laptop and phone for internet. Is it free? I have done this in the past through a cable and sprint eventually started to charge for it. Does the patch get around that? If so that would be great. I can get bluetooth in my laptop, so the sync capabilities would be awesome.
    Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. I somehow missed the responses to this thread. Anyway, yes, the patch is free. It's available at www.shadowmite.com (although there is an alternate patch available here on TreoCentral, too. Do a search for BlueTooth DUN and you should find it.)

You don't need a cable. Sprint shouldn't charge for it if you don't abuse it. I don't view it as an alternative to a regular internet connection, but as an addition--for when I'm on the road and my hotel room doesn't have a connection, or if I need to type and send off some fairly long emails. Sprint can't tell the difference between data going directly to the Treo, or through the Treo to your laptop. The only way they'll catch on is if you're downloading vast quantities of stuff. For sending email or casual web browsing you'll be fine.
    Bob Meyer
    KevMeister:

There are a couple of ways to sync data from the 600 to the 650, but it depends on what you want to sync. Normal PIM data (contacts, calendar, etc) you can beam from one to the other. You should be able to beam a lot of the apps themselves, too, but probably not all. Beaming the bookmarks file might not work: the 650 has a different version of Blazer, and I don't know if the bookmark file layouts are the same.

If you get the SD card, you should be able to copy most of your apps from the 600 to the card, then install them to the 650 from the card. This might not work for apps that install a bunch of files, but should work ok for apps that just have single.prc file.

There are a couple of caveats, however. Many T600 apps don't work correctly on the 650, and updated versions have been released. I wouldn't simply load your exisiting app versions without making sure they'll work. You could end up with a very untable Treo.

For installing new apps without hot-syncing, you could download them to a PC that you can get access to, then email the .prc file to your Palm, and install it that way. Again, that probably won't work for all apps.

I'd say your best bet would be to beg, borrow or steal a PC to use for installing your apps anew. DON'T simply hotsync your T600 to a PC, then hotsync that backup to your new T650. That's guaranteed to cause you problems. Many people here learned that the hard way. You'll really want to install each app individually.

And I think the likelihood that you'll be able to upgrade a Treo 650 to OS 6 is infintessimal. Or less.
    Bob Meyer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast