Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21  
    meyerweb,

    Thanks for the tips. I'm think also that if I get any future upgrades to programs (such as Agendus) I wonder if I can convince the companies to e-mail the .prc file to me so I can download it via Snapper and install it on my T650, once I get everything set-up.

    Going with that theme, wouldn't the T650 be ideal for downlloading stuff off Blazer and using Handzipper Lite (in conjunction with the SD card) to install those files on to either the T650's RAM or the SD Card?

    Regarding my laptop, more than likely they can salvage the hard drive. If I get a hub for it ($39) and transfer my files to a friend's desktop, in theory I would be able to save/transfer those Microsoft word files to a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD card. (In addition to synching my previous stuff).
    ###
  2. #22  
    Salvaged mylaptop's hard drive last week and got a USB hub for it. Now comes the interesting/difficult part of transferring data to my T650.

    Here's my plan: update/synch all the shareware and paid apps (to the T650 standard/version) to my T600, then do one last synch to my old (T600) Palm User ID via the Hub. Then, transfer the programs/apps from the T600 to a SD card. Then do a basic PIM synch via the hub (just non apps...is this possible) to my T650 with a NEW user ID. Then, program by program, load the T650 modified apps from the SD card to my T650.

    Any better/simpler ideas? My inital goal was to transfer data with no synching, since, of course, I don't plan on using a laptop anymore! (At least for personal use.)
    ###
  3. #23  
    Treocentral users,

    I have some follow-up questions regarding my Hard Drive Hub as it relates to my Treo 600. (I'll deal with the T650 once I figure out this mess.)

    I want to synch my Treo 600 one last time using my hard drive hub (via my deceased laptop) via my friends' computer, which I'm using as I write this!

    ***Money question: Can you re-synch from a hardrive hub using your old Palm Desktop or do you have to start anew--a fresh palm Desktop using the data/PIM info currently on your T600? I still have all of my apps in a separate "Handspring" folder (from my Handspring Treo 600 days) but can't seem to find my current PIM info that was on my palm Desktop when my laptop was still working.

    That said, I tried re-installing the Palm Desktop software in hopes of re-launching my former palm desktop (inc. apps) so I can synch. It's asking me for a new user name and I didn't enter anything/logged out. I'm afraid to use my current user ID name, as it might erase all of my Treo 600 PIM stuff that's on my hard drive hub.

    Once I synch my T600, plan to do the piece meal way of basic PIM conversion from T600 to T650 (different User Name) and re-install T650 apps individually as others have previously suggested.

    Hope this message makes sense.
    ###
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Treocentral users,

    I have some follow-up questions regarding my Hard Drive Hub as it relates to my Treo 600. (I'll deal with the T650 once I figure out this mess.)

    I want to synch my Treo 600 one last time using my hard drive hub (via my deceased laptop) via my friends' computer, which I'm using as I write this!

    ***Money question: Can you re-synch from a hardrive hub using your old Palm Desktop or do you have to start anew--a fresh palm Desktop using the data/PIM info currently on your T600? I still have all of my apps in a separate "Handspring" folder (from my Handspring Treo 600 days) but can't seem to find my current PIM info that was on my palm Desktop when my laptop was still working.
    Are you using a Mac? I'm not really familiar with hard drive hubs, and a quck google on the term found only Mac references. Disclaimer: I'm not a Mac user, so if you are, take anything I say with a grain of salt and examine your setup carefully.

    What I picture is your friend's laptop accessing your hard drive. Is that right? If so, I think you're going to need to re-install the Palm Desktop software on his laptop. On Windows, at least, I'm pretty sure some Palm (Handspring) files get installed to a common Windows system folder. If the Mac is the same way, those files won't exist on your friend's laptop, so you probably won't be able to run the software without reinstalling it.

    The PIM data isn't actually copied to the backup folder. It is stored in the Palm Desktop data files. (On a PC, in sub folders of c:\program files\handspring\. I no longer have my 600 software installed, but for my 650 the folders are address, datebk, memopad and todo.) Look in those folders for .dat files. I think that if you copy these .dat files to your new Palm Desktop folders, you'll be able to access them.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    That said, I tried re-installing the Palm Desktop software in hopes of re-launching my former palm desktop (inc. apps) so I can synch. It's asking me for a new user name and I didn't enter anything/logged out. I'm afraid to use my current user ID name, as it might erase all of my Treo 600 PIM stuff that's on my hard drive hub.
    Make a copy of everything in the Handspring folder (and subfolders) on your old drive before you do anything else. That way, if you do wipe it out, at least you'll be able to copy it back. When you say you reinstalled the Palm Desktop software: Did you install it to your old drive (now on the hub), or to the hard drive in the friend's laptop? If to your old drive, then I think entering your old sync name will get you right back up and running. Palm Desktop should see all your old data. I've installed the Palm Desktop software over my existing installation on several occasions, and never lost any data.

    I think you're going to have to use the same hotsync id you used before. Most Palm software is keyed to the hotsync id, so if you restore with a different one, most of your software will revert to trial status, and your old registration keys won't work.

    If you installed to your friend's hard drive, then you'll have to copy the .dat files and the backup folder to that new installation, I believe, and then restart it using the same hotsync id.

    Anyone else want to chime in on this?


    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Once I synch my T600, plan to do the piece meal way of basic PIM conversion from T600 to T650 (different User Name) and re-install T650 apps individually as others have previously suggested.
    As I said above, if you use a new hotsync name on your 650, a lot of your software registration keys won't work. You can use the same hotsync name without any problem, however. Just make sure that before you begin your 650 install, you rename the backup folder in your current installation.

    Actually, to make sure no traces of my old treo600 files ended up on my 650, what I did was the following:

    From my treo 600 install, I used Palm Desktop to EXPORT (Menu / File / Export) all of my PIM data to my My Documents folder. (Make sure you select the radio button that says "Range: All." It defaults to "Selected Record," which will only export one record.) You need to export each PIM data type (calendar, adresses, todos and memos) seperately: four separate exports.

    Then I uninstalled the existing Palm Desktop software. Don't worry, this doesn't actually remove the folders or wipe out your data.

    Then I renamed my old handspring folder to OldHandspring, so the Palm software install wouldn't find it.

    Finally, I installed PalmDesktop for the Treo 650 to a new folder, and followed the instructions to do a hotsync.

    (Here, I'd suggest installing any ROM upgrades that exist for your 650.)

    Finally, I IMPORTED my PIM data, and did another hotsync.

    You'll have a nice, clean, up to date Treo 650 with all the PIM data, but no other apps to muck things up. From here, I'd install one app at a time, and test it ot make sure it works. If it doesn't work properly, delete it before installing anything else.

    HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    meyerweb,

    Thanks for the tips. I'm think also that if I get any future upgrades to programs (such as Agendus) I wonder if I can convince the companies to e-mail the .prc file to me so I can download it via Snapper and install it on my T650, once I get everything set-up.
    A lot of the smaller vendors have the .prc on their download sites already, so you could download it via blazer and install it that way. Some of the more complicated programs (like maybe agendus?) install a desktop conduit, too, so that might not work. (Even if you're not going to use the desktop component, the install might not work without running on a PC). But it won't hurt to email their tech support and ask.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Going with that theme, wouldn't the T650 be ideal for downlloading stuff off Blazer and using Handzipper Lite (in conjunction with the SD card) to install those files on to either the T650's RAM or the SD Card?
    Yup. Although I have run into a problem on occasion. Sometimes, when I try to download a .prc file, Blazer saves it with a .php extention instead of .prc. All you need to do is use a file manager (like FileZ, which is free) to rename it to the correct file extension.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. #26  
    +meyerweb: This is great, thanks!

    +meyerweb and everybody else: Yes, I have a Windows machine, thank goodnes. I forgot to mention that in my post.

    I'll be doing my T600 synch stuff later tonight/next few days. My schedule is pretty crazy as it is...just can't wait to use my Treo 650! But I figure if I'm going to do things, do it right, some things are worth the wait.

    Yes, I did reinstall the PalmDesktop Software on my HD Hub, at least that's I what I'm 95% sure I did. When I reinstalled the CD, I made sure the directory files were saved on to a different hard drive--my hard drive hub. For some reason the palmOne Quick Install (short cut?) is on my mom's desktop, not the Palm Desktop Icon...that's on my hub

    Check out my other interesting idea, I already got a response:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83462
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions