1.    #1  
    I purchased a Treo 650 last week with Cingular service right before my business trip. I'm overseas now but don't know how to send/receive email! So I've been reading the forum here and have several questions about email:

I noticed that in my network preferences, it only shows GPRS networks. So how can I change it so it says GSM?

What is "unlocking"? Do I need to unlock my Treo in order to get GSM and how would I do that?

I got Cingular's MediaNet unlimited for $24.99/month so does that mean I can send email and browse the internet without roaming while I'm in China?

Will Cingular charge me to send email overseas?

Hope someone can help. Thanks so much.
    1. You need GPRS to send/receive e-mail...so leave it that way.
    2. Unlocking means that if you want to use carrier outside Cingular. So if you will stick with Cingular service, then no unlocking be needed.
    3. It will only be valid in US, in China you'll be charged for using any service.
    4. Yes they will charge you.

5. Open versamail and press top right button (Menu), then go to account tab, select account setup and follow instruction. Once you've entered all details, you press get button and it will automatically look for your e-mails. If you have either Yahoo or Hotmail, you have to pay to be able to retrieve e-mails to your mobile device.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by 650newbie
    I purchased a Treo 650 last week with Cingular service right before my business trip. I'm overseas now but don't know how to send/receive email! So I've been reading the forum here and have several questions about email:

I noticed that in my network preferences, it only shows GPRS networks. So how can I change it so it says GSM?

What is "unlocking"? Do I need to unlock my Treo in order to get GSM and how would I do that?

I got Cingular's MediaNet unlimited for $24.99/month so does that mean I can send email and browse the internet without roaming while I'm in China?

Will Cingular charge me to send email overseas?

Hope someone can help. Thanks so much.

I agree with Cesky's advice 100%. I do not get charged extra for email when I am overseas, and where you are traveling will determine how much you are charged for calls. I use email more than I do phone when overseas, and I do not incur any additional charges. Hope this helps.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >