1.    #1  
    Hi All,

On the verge of getting a 650 on Cingular, but I am confused about how the netowrk usage is accounted. I will be getting a lower-end voice plan with the unlimited data plan. Now the question is... if I spend 10 minutes surfing the web on the phone, do those 10 minutes get deducted from my voice minutes, or is data usage strictly accounted by bytes transferred?

Also, I am keen to be able to tether my laptop to the phone and connect at the EDGE speeds. Is this possible without a separate ISP? In other words, does the phone essentially act as a gateway to the same EDGE cingular network that the phone itself uses, or will it only connect point-to-point me to some ISP access number? I am guessing it is the former, or Sprint/Cingular would not have disabled DUN, but I am not sure. Will probably go with an unlocked phone to be sure DUN is working out of the box..

Thanks,
    web and data does not use your minutes at all.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info... that is great news.

It sounds like an unlocked 650 will be just the ticket to keeping me connected then. Any idea if there is an additional charge for data transfer when you are roaming internationally? I will be spending a fair bit of time in Europe and Asia this summer and will need to stay connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by totallyfake1
    Thanks for the info... that is great news.

It sounds like an unlocked 650 will be just the ticket to keeping me connected then. Any idea if there is an additional charge for data transfer when you are roaming internationally? I will be spending a fair bit of time in Europe and Asia this summer and will need to stay connected.

I have Cingular, and travel internationally, and do not incur any additional data charges for web and email when I am out of the US.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by totallyfake1
    Hi All,

On the verge of getting a 650 on Cingular, but I am confused about how the netowrk usage is accounted. I will be getting a lower-end voice plan with the unlimited data plan. Now the question is... if I spend 10 minutes surfing the web on the phone, do those 10 minutes get deducted from my voice minutes, or is data usage strictly accounted by bytes transferred?

Also, I am keen to be able to tether my laptop to the phone and connect at the EDGE speeds. Is this possible without a separate ISP? In other words, does the phone essentially act as a gateway to the same EDGE cingular network that the phone itself uses, or will it only connect point-to-point me to some ISP access number? I am guessing it is the former, or Sprint/Cingular would not have disabled DUN, but I am not sure. Will probably go with an unlocked phone to be sure DUN is working out of the box..

Thanks,

1. data and phone usage are separate.

2. For DUN info (using laptop w/ 650) visit the Shadowmite web site.

http://shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html

3. As for purchasing, I'd recommend walking into an "all carriers" brick and mortar". Shorter committments, better prices but don't get a data plan with the phone. Wait till "My Account" (that is your account appears on the "My Accounbt" tab) appears on the Cingular web site and then add Unlimited Media net to the plan yourself.