1.    #1  
    I was reading this; http://www.pdabuzz.com/default.aspx?tabid=30&itemid=595

And if thats true that Zire 73 will indeed have Cobalt maybe thats hope for the Treo was well. Any thoughts?
    "Murphy was an optimist."
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    It is unlikely that palmOne will use Palm OS Cobalt in a new Zire handheld. There is simply no need to customize Cobalt to run on current (and near future) devices. The cost of customizing Cobalt for a Zire series handheld would only push up the total cost of the unit. I suspect that we'll see existing Palm OS licensesees skip Cobalt and jump to Palm OS for Linux within the next 18 - 24 months. palmOne has already done a number of feature enhancements to Palm OS Garnet (Palm OS 5.x) and just doesn't need Cobalt right now.

That being said, I would expect new licensesess to go with Cobalt since they don't have to worry about exiting customers or a previous code base.

Alan G
    The specs are false. Other than that, there's almost no chance of the Treo ever getting Cobalt.
    palmOne can try doing a ROM update with the new OS for a fee... just as Samsung did with the i600 for $20. I wouldn't mind paying a few $$ for better software instead of investing in new hardware as the current specs are not too bad.
    PalmOne doesn't have any real interest in implementing Cobalt any time soon, and even if they did, they would rather you buy a new Treo rather than buy an upgrade. To them, the small number of people who would buy an update aren't worth the cost of developing it.