Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got a notice on my PC to upgrade to ver. 5.3 "mandatory" mind you. After upgrading, received a message that I have limited access, and can only log on a few times a month, I would have to purchase a membership, to continue logging on. The plans are:

Add 3 months at $8.88 per month = 26.64
    Add 2 months at $10.95 per month
    Add 1 month at $15.95

Just like someone said a few months back. Hook, line, and sinker.

He offered the program free to sucker as many users in as possible, then he charges. Well so long to winhand. Its a pretty cool program, but I don't see enough of a use for it to pay $10 bucks a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    Just got a notice on my PC to upgrade to ver. 5.3 "mandatory" mind you. After upgrading, received a message that I have limited access, and can only log on a few times a month, I would have to purchase a membership, to continue logging on. The plans are:

Add 3 months at $8.88 per month = 26.64
    Add 2 months at $10.95 per month
    Add 1 month at $15.95

Just like someone said a few months back. Hook, line, and sinker.

He offered the program free to sucker as many users in as possible, then he charges. Well so long to winhand. Its a pretty cool program, but I don't see enough of a use for it to pay $10 bucks a month.

Geesh that sucks. I guess we all knew there had to be a catch. I think I'd pay 10 bucks for 3 months. *sigh.. I had so much fun with it for the whole 48 hours I owned it. lol

Bek
    Where did you see this message? Mine doesn't say anything about that (although I did purchase a LONG time ago). Where did you see the pricing plans? Their website still says it's free....
  4.    #4  
    Have you updated to version 5.3 yet?
    ...Just like someone said a few months back. Hook, line, and sinker....
    It's part of the business plan but I do believe the website did say the download was a trial but misleading about the "Free" aspect of it.

Anyway, those limited amount of access keys it gives somehow is a control process (as you will always have to go back to MT Impossible Corp. for renewal).
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    Where did you see this message? Mine doesn't say anything about that (although I did purchase a LONG time ago). Where did you see the pricing plans? Their website still says it's free....

I didn't have a choice, my screen said "Version expired" please visit [their website] to download the new version.... so I did.
    It hasn't been reliable enough for me to pay for it, plain and simple.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    It hasn't been reliable enough for me to pay for it, plain and simple.
    Now that is true.. It took me 11 tries to get it to connect just now. Kept saying the remote computer isn't on/configured - whatever. Either way, I just keep tapping connect, and it finally does.

Bek

Edit: Now it keeps telling me WinHand has rejected an encryption key, to solve, reinstall encryption keys.........Psshaww.... forget it. Not worth the trouble if it's gonna cost.
    Have you updated to version 5.3 yet?
    Yes, I updated. I now see that it states that within the Palm side of WinHand (I was expecting the desktop to give a registration message).

What REALLY sucks is that everytime he updates the thing, the last version quits working without notice. This is a real pain in the A** when I am away on business (as I am leaving again tomorrow) and suddenly my remote access is dead..... This is the kind of carelessness that makes me NOT want to pay for the thing...

I'm now stuck without reliable access to my desktop on my upcoming trip..
    I bought about 18 months ago..the he starts giving it away for free..now hes charging again, I wont even bother installing again because I'm sure he'll be asking me for an upgrade fee when nothing has really changed...I own the corporate edition or whatever and surely he will ask for more.
    Well, good-bye win-hand. Too much for me to pay per month.

What's that other remote software that's out there? Does that have a monthly fee as well?
    I use palm VNC which I think is better and free.

Never liked winhand
    I contacted Win-Hand to ask how many logins you are allowed with the "Limited Account" Here's their responses, "There is no way to know; it does not have a predictable algorithm.

If you enjoy and see the value in win-hand, we encourage you
    to purchase an unlimited account for as low as 29 cents per day." This isn't the answer I was looking for. Totally unreliable answer. They are forcing us to buy it.
    just use palm vnc works for me everytime all the time and its freeware!
    MicroVNC is leaps and bounds ahead of PalmVNC, supporting SSH encryption, server side scaling, and is very configurable. I've been working with the author for the last month or so (well, I've been making suggestions and requests and he has graciously filled them), and version 0.9.5 (coming out in a couple days) is *excellent*. Fast, encrypted, versatile, and cheap (no, not free).

Give it a try when it comes out - I'll bet you'll like it!
    Where can I download MicroVNC. I did I search, but no luck finding it.
    Nevermind. I found it at Palmgear. I'd rather pay a one time fee than a re-occuring monthly.
    I haven't upgraded it and my old version (which is fine with me, works fine). Will it eventually stop working?
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    I haven't upgraded it and my old version (which is fine with me, works fine). Will it eventually stop working?
    As soon as your access keys run out (sometimes, it even expires before that).
    I only used it less than 10 times and had trouble setting up a second computer connection. I deleted the entire program once I saw the upgrade request. I am moving on the Palm VNC.

So long Win(less)hand.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast