Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41  
    Heh. Michel has a long rant defending the pricing, but I don't think he understands his customer base. From what I understand the complaints are:

    1. Please don't bait and switch; if it's a free service that you will begin charging for, then say so up front and state the date, etc., just like Shareware. Nobody whines about Verichat's free trial then upgrade fee because they told us what we were getting into up front.

    2. The pricing doesn't make sense. For the techie user, PalmVNC works just fine since it's supported and secure, it just takes a little setup. For the casual user, $105 a year is ridiculous. So Michel's market appears to be that subset of users who aren't smart enough to figure out PalmVNC, yet want to be using their phone constantly as a portal to connect to their home computer?

    Dunno, this isn't making much sense to me. I would guess he just thought he could get more publicity by making it free since he wasn't getting uptake when he charged, then overvalued his own product. Just a guess though.
  2. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #42  
    DougKoz, well said. Both Michel's web site and his e-mail responses strongly imply that this is the case.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  3. #43  
    I believe Michel did state that the software is free but the service is not. My problem is that the website did not clearly state this initially as the word "Free" predominated the site (has it changed recently?).

    The Winhand business is to provide the service of over the internet access of your PC via the pda.

    This business is almost the same line as the email providers like Inbox to Go, Corsoft, Visto, Seven, etc. where they provide or partially charge for the software but continually charge for the continued access (service) since the entire application is based on a physical infrastructure of hardware.

    The one thing that Winhand tries to set itself apart from the others I have listed is the offering of full access to your PC via the PDA through the internet with dynamic secure keys without having to configure your firewall/router differently.

    Let the market define how this business will thrive or close.
  4. #44  
    I've used winhand for a while and found it to be quite useful. It was no surprise to me that they started to charge for it - I think that is their right to do so. Who really expected this product to remain free? I certainly did not.

    Having said that - to me, the deal breaker is the pricing. Not worth it to me. I also did not appreciate the manner in which he ceased free access without ever letting people know what was going on.

    I would be willing to pay a smaller monthly fee for a light version, or a yearly fee for that matter - but not what he's asking.
  5. #45  
    Why pay for a service when you can set something up without a montly recurring cost? For "light" users, purchase Mobile TS ($39.99, I believe). Then all you have to do is set your router up to forward an incoming port to your PC.

    I'd be happy to forward you instructions on how to do this on a router. It's fairly simple.
  6. #46  
    I don't recall installing anything as expensive as Win-Hand.

    Al
  7. #47  
    Win-Hand used to be a great program. I bought it when they were on version 4, and they inticed me to upgrade to version 5 for free. Then, using version 5 you are forced to upgade first to ver 5.1, then 5.2, then the infamous version 5.3 that requires that you pay a monthly fee to actually use the program. If you ask me, that is very sleezy and in my opinion, the makers of win-hand really made a huge mistake to pull this. There are too many other remote desktop solutions that work just as well and are free or do not charge montly fees. One is Palm VNC www.palmvnc2.free.fr Another is Mocha www.mochasoft.dk
  8. #48  
    Just my two cents worth... I used the software for a while and while it worked ok, there were still issues with 5.0 and below. However, what a lot of folks are missing is that it will allow you to access your work pc from your treo. 99.5% of users do NOT have access to their company firewall and win-hand completely bypasses that issue. A very practical program for those who might need access to their work pc, ie on call etc. and while the later versions may work better than the previuos, the price is just too much for most of us. I'm not sure what it would be worth for me to go out to dinner or a show and if paged be able to fix a network issue at work without canceling my evening out. It happened a few times... anyway just my humble opinion
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmccarter
    Just my two cents worth... I used the software for a while and while it worked ok, there were still issues with 5.0 and below. However, what a lot of folks are missing is that it will allow you to access your work pc from your treo. 99.5% of users do NOT have access to their company firewall and win-hand completely bypasses that issue. A very practical program for those who might need access to their work pc, ie on call etc. and while the later versions may work better than the previuos, the price is just too much for most of us. I'm not sure what it would be worth for me to go out to dinner or a show and if paged be able to fix a network issue at work without canceling my evening out. It happened a few times... anyway just my humble opinion
    How does your corporate data security manager/department feel about you bypassing the firewall? I'd wager it's against your corporate security policy...as it should be.

    If it's legitimate you should work with them to establish a supported method, such as VPN. Just my humble opinion.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  10. #50  
    I just downloaded PalmVNC. Pretty cool, and was very easy to setup. Only took two click to allow the connection through my firewall. The only question I have, is I'm on Dialup... I keep a connection on all the time, but as you know if I get disconnected and it redials I'm assigned a new IP... Is there anything that I could use to always use the same IP to connect ?
  11. #51  
    Try something like http://www.dyndns.com/
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  12. #52  
    Thanks, I'll try that. I have never had much luck with those DNS forwarding things though.

    Edit: Okay, what I don't understand is how this is supposed to automatically update my new IP addresss to my hostname I chose...
    Last edited by fl00d_pr0z; 05/15/2005 at 08:10 PM.
  13. #53  
    I use dyndns.org with a program called direct update. direct update monitors your ip address in near real-time. it comes preconfig'ed for a number of websites that can resolve your ip address or it can check your router for a current ip as well.

    I just set up our network at our new company and it looks like some of the newer routers have built-in support for services such as dyndns.org without the need for another piece of s/w.

    once this is all set up, just use your "alias," yourname.dyndns.org or whatever in place of your true ip address in whatever program you're setting up. I had this working on various programs like mergicVPN, palmVNC, and winfile but eventually filtered everything through mergic since it is a bit more secure using the above through VPN. you can use your alias to set up mergic's VPN connection then just use your machine's internal ip address with VNC, winhand, etc. hope this helps!!
    -- berto
  14. #54  
    You guys do understand that Windows XP has something called Remote Desktop Assistance?

    And there are programs available for your palm that can use the protocols used by Windows Remote Assistance to connect directly to your computer like Winhand does.

    I don't know the cost of the Remote Desktop Assistance program for the palm, but I'm sure it's like $20 one time cost or something.

    Ahh yes, here it is:

    http://www1.smartcell.com/web/produc...uct.aspx?id=14

    It's $29.95 one time fee. Only Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server machines can make use of this. Windows 95/98/ME does not have the RDP protocol installed.

    Enjoy.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by bertopl
    I use dyndns.org with a program called direct update. direct update monitors your ip address in near real-time. it comes preconfig'ed for a number of websites that can resolve your ip address or it can check your router for a current ip as well.

    I just set up our network at our new company and it looks like some of the newer routers have built-in support for services such as dyndns.org without the need for another piece of s/w.

    once this is all set up, just use your "alias," yourname.dyndns.org or whatever in place of your true ip address in whatever program you're setting up. I had this working on various programs like mergicVPN, palmVNC, and winfile but eventually filtered everything through mergic since it is a bit more secure using the above through VPN. you can use your alias to set up mergic's VPN connection then just use your machine's internal ip address with VNC, winhand, etc. hope this helps!!


    Yep, that's what I ended up doing.

    Edit: Wasn't working last night. Now it's working, must have been the T-storms causing timeouts on my cell.
    Last edited by fl00d_pr0z; 05/16/2005 at 10:40 AM.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by hexed

    Ahh yes, here it is:

    http://www1.smartcell.com/web/produc...uct.aspx?id=14

    It's $29.95 one time fee. Only Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server machines can make use of this. Windows 95/98/ME does not have the RDP protocol installed.

    Enjoy.
    A lot of corporate users, including me, are running Windows 2000. How does this help us?

    I would have no problem paying a reasonable fee for Winhand. But $16 a month is way too much. I'd pay $6.00 month, but not if I have to sign up for a year. The "limited" account is on the right track, but too limited. I won't access my work PC every day, but the once or twice a month I would get on I'd need more than a few minutes. But there's no option that really supports that model.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions