Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Michel from Win-Hand wrote...

"If you enjoy and see the value in win-hand, we encourage you
    to purchase an unlimited account for as low as 29 cents per day."
    What A JOKE!! Win-Hand is coming off my computer and Treo 650. I will not pay $105.85 dollars per year.

Microsoft doesn't even render your computer useless after one day, month, or year.

Michel didn't even have the courtesy to title or sign the E-mail he or she sent back to me. And, Did not have the courtesy to answer my questions that were in that E-mail. He or She only sent me back the sarcastic, one sentence remark.

Win-Hand Walk The PLANK!!!

°Büllët°
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I agree monthy fees suck! We should all send Winhand an email and let them know how we feel about monthy charges. I already did in an polite and profesional manner hopefully someone will listen especially since they have competetion.
    I've deleted Win-hand from my 650, and answers like that make me question whether I even should have trusted them in the first place.
    This is Michel Turcotte from MT Impossible Corp.

The value in Win-Hand Anywhere is that it allows any PDA from anywhere
    to connect to any remote computer from anywhere regardless of any firewall or
    network configuration.

The solution to this network complexity is a set of servers
    providing network connectivity available 24/7 in a secure infrastructure.

There is no other service that offers this.
    PalmVNC and MicroVNC are Software products requiring you to own
    and configure your Network(s) and firewall(s). Since 2001, we learned that
    an organization can not successfully deploy such a solution.

Win-Hand Anywhere is not trying to be a Software product.
    We tried this approach in previous years since 2001 but the complexity of network
    communication made it impossible to work around those firewall and router
    issues.

We understand you are more familiar with purchasing Software for a fixed fee.
    Unfortunately, the way the Internet is wired does not allow
    a company to offer a reliable product the way you describe it.

With a one time fee, how long will the service provider be legally bound
    to fulfill its obligations to a client? 1 year? 10 years? forever?
    "Forever" can not be accomplished, legally, technically nor financially by
    any institution.

So Win-Hand IS NOT A PRODUCT: the product model can not work.

We appreciate your enthusiasm for connecting technologies including Win-Hand.
    Believe me, we share this enthusiasm in developing something that is absolutely amazing.

We are taking your feedback seriously.
    We will continue improving the technology and its cost.

We believe this first release is absolutely outstanding; and it is not
    the last one... We are working on 2 more upcoming breakthroughs
    (confidential for now) that will make you all say "Wow"!

User reviews:
    http://www.win-hand.com/review.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Win-Hand: PDA + Office Computer + Home Computer (all in one)
    Michel Turcotte MT Impossible Corp.
    Your software in my experience is completely unreliable and as such is hardly worth half what you are wishing to charge.

Further, your marketing speak is measured and spun in such a way as to make it seem like you had no choice but to market your software this way and that other products or solutions are not comparable when in fact my experience in the palm world (some 9 years) proves quite to the contrary.

There are quite a few competitors to your product, some of them free. Further, there are more in imminent release. All of them in my experience are quite comparable to your product, making your claims that your product is exclusive in its function set mute. I should think you will be hard pressed to sell your product at the price you have set. I wish you no ill will, but will NOT be a customer, nor will I recommend your product to others.

This is not based on price alone, but on performance, reliability and support vs the cost. You need only refer to a brief search on your product name to support my point here.
    Does he realize that other products that do the same thing are free or cheap .
    seriously if he charged $5(one time fee) for it i would have considered it if it even worked reliably. but what he is asking is outrageous for what it is. Hes in a fantasy world. I mean it actualls irritates me that he gave it free and then tried to charge everyone a lot of money to keep using it. And he wants $10 a month to use it .
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    Does he realize that other products that do the same thing are free or cheap .
    seriously if he charged $5(one time fee) for it i would have considered it if it even worked reliably. but what he is asking is outrageous for what it is. Hes in a fantasy world. I mean it actualls irritates me that he gave it free and then tried to charge everyone a lot of money to keep using it. And he wants $10 a month to use it .
    I dont want to defend winhand, because I think their pricing is out of hand.

But, winhand isnt excatly like palm vnc.

winhand is more like gotomypc for the pc. your pc make a connection to the winhand server and then your palm makes a connection to the winhand servers. because of this you dont have to open ports on your firewall. becaue your pc is theoretically is the one asking for the connection.

this is how gotomypc works.

with vnc, you have to open ports and foward to the right client. this is a security risk because anyone with a port sniffer can see your port open and start trying to gain access to your pc.

presumably, winhand and gotomypc avoid this.

it is surprising to me that ppl are shocked that they would charge. server and traffic cost money, even if the software is free.

this is why most palm IM client charge a monthly fee.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I dont think people are upset that he is charging and its his right but its the fact that he didnt warn anyone about it before they used it. I have used programs as a test or Beta knowing there will be a charge soon and the amount of money he is asking is seriously outrageous. I dont have a clue how much it actually cost him to provide this service but since it does the same exact thing as PalmVNC which is free is a big deal. dosent matter that they work differently in the end they do the same thing and I have used both and prefer Palm VNC.

I actually helped the creator when he was creating this program. He had just created it and i had emailed him that there were bugs. HE asked me to help him with it by emailing me test version and trying them , then emailing him back logs that the programs would print.I did it for about a month but got tired of doing it and worried about how many logs of activity i was sending him.
    I was happy to try to try it again recently but still prefered Palm VNC to win-hand.
    Win-Hand should at least release a light version that allows you to setup only one computer account and let say limit you to use it 5 times a day or something like that. That would make some people like me happy

Al
    Totally agree with you, Treolo. That would make me happy too. I think there are probably loads of light users out there who find 15 bucks a month way too much.

Anyway, I'm going to try out PalmVNC like everyone else.
    Last edited by Saint Treo; 03/28/2005 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Turcotte

network configuration.
    Any firewall? It isn't working on my work PC, and when I emailed you for support you said it was probably a firewall issue. Well, I can't reconfigure my coporate firewall, so how do you say it works regardless of any firewall configuration? That seems to be a blatantly wrong.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Actually, many of us are familiar with purchasing software with an annual license since I'm sure you will find that a large number of us pay the annual license fee of $34 for Verichat (or whatever it is).

If you had priced your program similarly, I doubt as many folks would have found your pricing scheme objectionable. $3/mo. is a big difference from $15 a month.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)

network configuration.

The solution to this network complexity is a set of servers
    providing network connectivity available 24/7 in a secure infrastructure.

There is no other service that offers this.
    PalmVNC and MicroVNC are Software products requiring you to own
    and configure your Network(s) and firewall(s). Since 2001, we learned that
    an organization can not successfully deploy such a solution.

Win-Hand Anywhere is not trying to be a Software product.
    We tried this approach in previous years since 2001 but the complexity of network
    communication made it impossible to work around those firewall and router
    issues.

With a one time fee, how long will the service provider be legally bound
    to fulfill its obligations to a client? 1 year? 10 years? forever?
    "Forever" can not be accomplished, legally, technically nor financially by
    any institution.

So Win-Hand IS NOT A PRODUCT: the product model can not work.

We appreciate your enthusiasm for connecting technologies including Win-Hand.
    Believe me, we share this enthusiasm in developing something that is absolutely amazing.

We are taking your feedback seriously.
    We will continue improving the technology and its cost.

We believe this first release is absolutely outstanding; and it is not
    the last one... We are working on 2 more upcoming breakthroughs
    (confidential for now) that will make you all say "Wow"!

User reviews:
    http://www.win-hand.com/review.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Win-Hand: PDA + Office Computer + Home Computer (all in one)
    Michel Turcotte MT Impossible Corp.
    Can you please just offer a stripped down PTP version. And the "complexity of networks" isn't that complex when you know what your doing. I thnk we can all configure our home routers. Winhand is sweet when it works. If I could connect just to my home computer RELIABLY I would be happier than ****e and probably pay 15 bucksish. Hey the customer is always right... Dude I'm telling you I'll give you 15 bucks. And I'm sure thousands of other people would too.
    Felipe:

I'm not shocked that the vendor wants to charge for the product. I do think the charges are a bit high, maybe, but that's a separate issue. What bothers me is the bait and switch tactics the vendor used. Offering something as trialware, with the understanding that there will be a charge at the end of the trial period, is fine. But this was advertised as freeware. Then, once people got used to using it, the vendor changes his tune and announces a fee. It's that kind of bait and switch advertising that's gotten me ticked off.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Felipe:

I'm not shocked that the vendor wants to charge for the product. I do think the charges are a bit high, maybe, but that's a separate issue. What bothers me is the bait and switch tactics the vendor used. Offering something as trialware, with the understanding that there will be a charge at the end of the trial period, is fine. But this was advertised as freeware. Then, once people got used to using it, the vendor changes his tune and announces a fee. It's that kind of bait and switch advertising that's gotten me ticked off.

I dont disagree, this is shaddy.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    PalmVNC's always been great for me, uses a standard supported on every platform, and is free (well, donate-ware, anyway). I gave the guy $10 'cause he did such a good job upgrading the Palm version.

Never understood the benefit of WinHand Free.
    Well I liked Winhand and used it quite a bit. Mostly just for fun and sometimes came handy with work stuff. I did notice that the server on my PC went yellow quite a bit which renders this software completely useless.

I admit this program is different from the VNC freeware out there. One because there is no VPN client for the Palm to connect to my company's Checkpoint firewall. Two, it is faster than PalmVNC.

But paying $8.88 a month is way too steep. People who see this as a neccessity would happily pay this price. But most use this for luxury, rather than necessity. Even if people were using this for work, it would be against most companies' policy to use this software. This software allows outsiders to have access to the company network by bypassing the firewall. It doesnt matter how secure you say this software is, but there is nothing that prevents lets say an MT Impossible employee from having a trojan backdoor built-in to the WinHand server and accessing my PC anytime. Therefore, you will have few companies willing to allow this software. Pay $8.88/month and possibly get terminated from your company. I know i'm not doing that.

Here's my suggestion:
    Allow limited access per day. # of connects shouldnt count provided that your software does disconnect quite a bit. I didnt even get to use the software today and it disconnected twice and then restricted me. Rather allow like an hour of access per day. Demo-like enough for me to play with. This way you'll still have users of the software and you won't get pissed users who are accusing you of bait and switch.

Other than that, I enjoyed using this software while I could.
    Last edited by maddogv6; 03/28/2005 at 06:35 PM.
    Well, it was cool to have, but something I only used on occasion. I wouldn't pay $10 a month for it. This trend of having to "lease" software rather than own it is troubling. I mean how much is anyone really going to control their desktop PC on a 2 inch screen?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I agree with the majority opinion in this thread. I was a big fan of Win-Hand while it was free, but I'm not willing to pay monthly the same amount I pay Sprint for data access overall!

I'd gladly pay $30 outright, or maybe even $5 per month, but the new pricing scheme is a dealbreaker. Combine that with Michel's minimal support and you have a product (excuse me, service) waiting to tank.

I'll check out alternatives and go without if nothing suits.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast