1.    #1  
    I was checking out ebay and came across this auction:

I will show you a link where you can get the Treo650 for $319.99 after rebate from SprintPCS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64355&item=5760891349&rd=1

Why would people pay for a link while everyone can easily get one from a lot of places by just performing a search on the Web?

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
    You'd be surprised, how many did that before the 650 came out. I saw bids up to 900.00 for the coupon, and from what I hear, the one's with the coupon haven't got their Treo's yet....That price was only for the coupon, they still had to buy the phone.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Dumb@$$es! It's at $220 right now with 15 minutes to go. People are idiots.
    Suckers
    Back in the .com bubble I saw a site which would provide you whatever hotmail address you wanted for $5. I emailed the guy and asked if people really paid for that and he said plenty did.
    There was also a guy on ebay selling the free 128mb cards from palmone. He would sell the link for 5 bucks, damm idiots. See now we know how the people on ebay make a lot of money! Idiots out there, paying for free info!

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  7.    #7  
    The Scammers are getting smarter too. They keep the bidders identities private so they prevent other good ebayers to alert these no brain bidders. What a sham. Hope some one knows how to alert ebay to this type of scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by greathome
    The Scammers are getting smarter too. They keep the bidders identities private so they prevent other good ebayers to alert these no brain bidders. What a sham. Hope some one knows how to alert ebay to this type of scam.
    Although it lacks class, it's not really a scam. It's selling info. Just because it's available for free elsewhere doesn't make it a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Although it lacks class, it's not really a scam. It's selling info. Just because it's available for free elsewhere doesn't make it a scam.
    Agreed. And he does mention several times he is selling a LINK. Caveat Emptor.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It's a scam.

It's one thing to consolidate a bunch of freely available information and to sell it all as a package; taking money to point out a single freely available link is another thing altogether.

It's like the people who charge immigrants thousands of dollars to enter them into the green card lottery when all they have to do is just fill out and submit a freely available and simple form.

The victims are under the mistaken impression that they're getting something they couldn't get on their own. the fact that the sellers are hiding the bidders names is a perfect display of consciousness of guilt.

On the other hand, I guess the scammers mindframe is "A fool and his money are lucky to get together in the first place... these people are going to get ripped off somewhere by someone, so why not by me?"

As much as I despise the scammers, I really don't have too much pity for the victims. I just write it of as a "stupid tax".
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
  11.    #11  
    Over $225 for a link? I think it is a scam. Scamming means taking advantage of unsuspecting people. The winner is out of $225 for his or hers own stupidity. Hopefully someone is scamming this guy back by not paying for it. I wish that would be the case. But……………………………… why I should care if someone has that kind of money to through away?

Nice to hear from all of you. That is the reason we are here, learn from others.
    Have a great weekend.

BTW I got my first Treo a couple weeks ago, maybe I'll ask some stupid newbie questions in the near future. Hope you all will lend a hand or two.
    Last edited by greathome; 03/18/2005 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    O.K. the winning bidder just paid $225.69 for a LINK! Now the phone after rebates is $399.99 so total would be $625.68?!? What the fudge is going on with this world!? I need to start selling links....

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    I need to start selling links....
    http://aged.ces.uga.edu/2004cds/cd1/...ge%20links.jpg
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 03/18/2005 at 10:57 PM.
    o.k. you win, you sell the links....

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter