View Poll Results: Cingular or T-Mobile? Why?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cingular

26 38.81%
  • T-mobile

35 52.24%
  • Rate Plans (t-mobile)

38 56.72%
  • Rate Plans (cingular)

7 10.45%
  • Cust. Serv. (t-mobile)

29 43.28%
  • Cust.Serv. (cingular)

9 13.43%
  • Phones (t-mobile)

4 5.97%
  • Phones (cingular)

22 32.84%
  • Coverage (t-mobile)

7 10.45%
  • Coverage (cingular)

27 40.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to decide on which carrier to go to and stay with. I am torn between T-mobile(cheapest plans-3000 minutes for 49.99!!!, 24hr cust. support which is actually good, and decent phones, EDGE some time this year?) or Cingular (a bit expen$ive, limited cust. support, decent phones, 850 band, EDGE-how good is it really?, UMTS soon?)

I can't decide. I have like tmo so far, but wonder if I'm missing something on Cing. I switched briefly to Sprint (too many problems w/service, cust. support is hard to get ahold of, and t650 has issues!), I would rather stay with a GSM carrier in case I want to swap phones or travel internationally with MY phone, not a loaner like some cdma carriers give you.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't know anything about Cingular, but I've got T-mobile and I like it. (I'm in NYC)

$40/month for 1000 minutes with free weekends, free long distance, free roaming.
    $19/month ($20?) for unlimited internet
    $7/month for 1000 SMS

(Note: The $40 plan I got was a special promo, I don't know if it's openly available right now. Ordinarily the $40 gets you 1000 minutes, free LD, free roam, but not free weekends. Also, I think $40 can get you 3000 mins, but without the free roaming)

My only complaint is that I feel that if I'm paying for unlimited internet, unlimited SMS should be included in that.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Look at these:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757446,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771797,00.asp

The second article picks Verizon's EV-DO as the Editor's Choice but with no Treo 650 and the following statement so far from my version of reality I just can't agree.

"Of the three 3G cellular networks available today, Verizon Wireless EV-DO is the only one that truly realizes the promise of widely available, high speed wireless."

Looking at the map they proivide of the Ev-DO coverage , it shows about 1/2 of 1 % geographical coverage of the continental US. How that equates to the author's "widely available" statement is the part I have trouble with.

Verizon claims they will have 50% population coverage by year's end which should coincide with Cingular's claimed pretty fair deployment of their HSDPA upgrade of UTMS. The analogy here i guess is just like Cingular laid Edge on top of an existing GPRS network, they will also lay HSDPA on top of UTMS (software upgrade)

The article describes that the only wireless broadband available right now is:

Cingular EDGE (90+ % population coverage)
    Cingular UMTS (6 cities)
    Verizon EV-DO (21 cities)

I didn't see Sprint or T-Mobile addressed in the article which was very detailed....9 pages in the March 22 issue so worth picking up at the newstand.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/17/2005 at 02:58 PM.
    T-Mo's customer service is top notch and prices are good. GPRS is a dog.

If I switched to Cingular now (just to have EDGE), I'd pay $10 more per month for the same amount of minutes ($39.99 t-mo vs $49.99 Cing.), $5 more for unlimited data ($19.99 vs $24.95), which also doesn't include SMS(I pay $3 for 500) or MMS (100 come free with the $19.99 plan) to my knowledge. I'm looking at about $20 extra per month just to get EDGE- I'm not sure it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    T-Mo's customer service is top notch and prices are good. GPRS is a dog.

If I switched to Cingular now (just to have EDGE), I'd pay $10 more per month for the same amount of minutes ($39.99 t-mo vs $49.99 Cing.), $5 more for unlimited data ($19.99 vs $24.95), which also doesn't include SMS(I pay $3 for 500) or MMS (100 come free with the $19.99 plan) to my knowledge. I'm looking at about $20 extra per month just to get EDGE- I'm not sure it's worth it.
    You get what you pay for, it has always been that way with competing cellular networks for the past 15 years with rare limited-time exceptions. Price per-min of airtime almost always equates to the coverage area, the more you pay, the wider the coverage. This isn't to say, however, that in certain areas the cheaper guy may give you a better signal... that all depends but I'm talking overall square miles in the US.

I'm lucky and have $20 MediaWorks unlimited (unlim data, 1500 SMS, 300MMS) which you can't get anymore and my voice plan is family shared plan, $70 for 850 min total.

T-Mobile is cheaper (excellent value) but less coverage area than Cingular.
    Cingular has the advantage of EDGE, but remember T-Mobile is planning roll-out of EDGE this year. Besides that, they're both just phone companies and that's all there is to it (what's the difference, really.)

Regarding EDGE, I can't imagine spending the money on the 650 to live with GPRS speed. One of the main reasons I upgraded from a 600 to 650 was to get EDGE, at least 4x the speed I was getting on the 600.

I have Cingular because it has the widest coverage area (for GSM) and EDGE. They also have UMTS (3G) in some areas which does us no good until future devices support it. So I think Cingular is always going to stay ahead of TMobile in the technology curve, so far they have.

The benefit to TMobile is that it's significantly cheaper and you get access to WiFi access points in Starbucks with the unlimited data plan. While I never had TMobile, I understand they have good CS and sales people... Cingular's is debatable but generally good.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    T-Mo's customer service is without a doubt top notch. I wrote two emails to them about EDGE. The first time I had no reply. The second time not only did I get a reply, (which was no info on EGDE unfortunately) but a free month of service. I wasn't asking for that and just information, so that was pretty impressive.
    If it's going to take them a year to have it ready though, I may switch to Cingular and try it out.
    My other choice is to hang tight and get grandfathered in like the older Cingular people did, especially if T-Mo raises rates like Cingular did when EDGE was initiated. It's tricky. I really only hate the slowness of GPRS when I'm travelling overnight (I'm on the road for a living) and have to use my phone for DUN. Fortunately this isn't that often.
    We'll see... maybe when my contract is up in May I'll check if Cingular will haggle with me at all.

Edit: I don't have coverage issues unless I'm visiting my parents in central VA and they're kinda in no-man's land, or on business in NC, (which is only twice a year) where I roam on Cing/AT&T. T-Mo coverage in my area- NoVA-DC-Baltimore is fine.
    cingular reach 50 mil subscribers, apparently they are top dog in the US cell pone market.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000223036489/

read some on the comments.

im on t-mo plan that busyba mentioned. cant really find a better voice plan out there (unfortunately, not really offered anymore like he said). and the internet plan isn't bad either.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I could not distinguish the difference between TMo and Cing CS, except that I got a call directly from Cing (with a direct callback #) as they are working to resolve some issues with my account. I certainly do NOT think TMo Cust Service was good - fair at best.

Coverage - Cingular wins easily over TMo in the Northeast

Edge - GPRS should be embarrassed. I have come to learn that the TMo data plans are cheaper because folks avoided using them to any significant degree. I never used more than 10MB on TMo. I used almost 40MB on Cingular this month. If you use it, it is worth the extra $$. If you don't , then TMo actually appears expensive.
    Cingular customer service is awful coming from TMobile and its not even 24/7. I had to have something faster than GPRS though, and it was time to purchase a Treo so I ended up on Cingular. I never even once had a service hiccup with TMobile on my 3650 but I frequently have not just hiccups but regional outages in Atlanta, GA of all places. Cingular is good at getting customers but they really need to stop hyping their network and make it more consistent with 0 drops like I experienced with TMobile. I couldn't believe that today I actually had to find a pay phone to call my wife because the cingular network in eastern Atlanta was down entirely.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    funny - my experience is exactly opposite. I could not keep a call for more than 10 minutes while driving up the PA turnpike from Philly to NE PA - Cingular was flawless. on TMo would get voice mail nitification 2 days after the vmail arrived, if ever. I had my email sent to SMS and had to stop that because it kept failing and send a "undelivered" message to the sender. blah, blah, blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I'm lucky and have $20 MediaWorks unlimited (unlim data, 1500 SMS, 300MMS) which you can't get anymore and my voice plan is family shared plan, $70 for 850 min total
    I have same voice plan for $59 and 850 (+ 3 other phones @ $9.99 each)

I'm sorry to have missed out on the unlimited data access for $20 but as I have never sent a text, IM or MM mesage in 20 years on line, I wouldn't mind doing Media Net (unlimited internet) for $24.99 . Media Works is still available but now repackaged to include:

1,000 Text/Instant Messages
    Unlimited Multimedia Messages
    3 MB Internet Express

Unlimited Media Net (Internet Access) and 200 text messages is $29.98

Here's the current list from the Cingular site....which remarkably hasn't chnaged in the last 48 hours <g>:

Data Connect 20MB $34.99
    Data Connect 10MB $24.99
    PDA Connect - Unlimited $39.99
    Text Messaging - 2500 messages/month $19.99
    MEdia Net - Unlimited $24.99
    MEdia Net - 8 MB/month $19.99
    Text Messaging - 200 messages/month $4.99
    Extended Nights and Weekends $7.00
    MEdia Works $19.99
    MEdia Basic $9.99 Add feature
    Xpress Mail for BlackBerry - 4 MB/month $34.99
    Xpress Mail for BlackBerry - Unlimited $44.99
    Unlimited Shared Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99
    Voice Connect $4.99
    Detailed Billing $0.99
    Enhanced Voice Mail $3.99
    Roadside Assistance $2.99
    Three-Way Calling $0.99
    Text Messaging - 50 messages/month $2.99
    MEdia Net - 500 KB/month $4.99
    Text Messaging - 1000 messages/month $9.99
    MEdia Net - 3 MB/month $9.99
    Basic Voice Mail $1.99
    Call Forwarding $0.99
    After speaking with Cingular CS a few days ago and complaining about the new data packages available, I got the CS agent to put a custom package together for me that included

Unlimited Wireless Internet
    200 Text messages
    40 MMS Messages

All this was 29.95 per month, and she credited me for the 1st 3 months of Text and MMS, and the first month of messaging is unlimited. It is pretty close to what it would have been ala carte, but she was great to work with and I am very happy with the result.

I have had my Treo 650 for about 2 weeks now, and have had to call Cingular CS about 5 times for one reason or another (not due to negative issues), and I have been very pleased with a marked improvement in service in the last few months. I have been a Cingular customer for 4 years now, and CS was always my biggest complaint, but I really feel that they are starting to come on strong in the service department, especially with all the bad press they have had lately.

The rep also shared with me that they have been having meetings specifically aimed at dealing with Treo 650 customers, and thay are creating new data bundle packages as well.

Anyhoo, that is my 2 cents of the status of Cingular as far as service is concerned.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I am a fairly loyal T-Mobile person. Any issue I have had has been handled with NO trouble and like what was mentioned earlier. Also, if you have a problem, they tend to fix it and give you something for your trouble, usually a free month.
    As far as EDGE on T-Mobile, I do have an inside source that says they will be deploying in major cities soon (should be latest Q3). Yes the price will go up a bit but no farther than Cingular. I like T-Mobile's family plan better as well.
    The odd thing is that I get fantastic coverage by T-Mobile in most places I go, but my friends Cingular service seems to be just the opposite in the same geographic areas....strange. Not sure if it's a geographic thing or the difference in phones (I am the only 600 user). Sprint coverage her is abysmal and I am NOT paying Verizon data rates so I am locked to T-Mobile.
    The thing I looked at was the data plan. Unfortunately, I didn't get in on the grandfathered Cingular data rates for Media Works so I am quite happy with my $19.99/month with T-Mobile. I just wish they would carry the 650 soon so I can get the subsidized discounts, can't affort an unbranded right now. I'd renew for 2 years if I could get it cheaper. I can wait for EDGE, my data needs aren't that great right now.
    Hope my ramblings helped in some way.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for all of the replies. Definately giving me food for thought. Keep them coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    As far as EDGE on T-Mobile, I do have an inside source that says they will be deploying in major cities soon (should be latest Q3). Yes the price will go up a bit but no farther than Cingular.
    Will current $19.99 unlimited internet plan subscribers be grandfathered, or will their rates go up too?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    On Cingular, it's nationwide mobile-to-mobile (850 minutes, $59.99). I switched from AT&T (more minutes-1100, same price $59.99) but offset the loss of minutes because I talk to my family on their AT&T cell phones whenever I want and don't use any of my anytime minutes.
    I was originally with T-Mo, for slightly better voice and data plans. I recently switched to Cingular for the 850 band. I couldn't get coverage inside a building I frequently work in with T-Mo.

I am happy with Cingular now. I have had a few issues, and have gone to CS with them. With not as responsive as T-Mo was, all my problems were addressed in a reasonable time.

That said, if I didn't need the coverage (frequency wise), I would have happily stayed with T-mo.
    I had all three Sp, T, Ci: Dumped Sprint, am in process of moving all to Cingular. While T-mobile had attractive plan, when said an done it was no better. With Cingular I had 1050 for $49 Nation and Media Works for $19.95 WITH SMS and MMS. With SPrint and t-Mobile everything is an add on. I am recently moved to $49 +$9, +9 family, Nation, NW and $19.95 media Works.

Also 850mhz will always have indoor coverage that 1900mhz, better wall penetration, that is why Cingular is selling off 1900mhz to T-Mobile which they used to share i many markets.

I depend on SMS and voice. I cannot deal with the up to 72 hour SMS delay that T-Mobile has been experiencing for the last year. I need indoor coeverage as well.

My Sprint service, I won't go there.
    In my market So Cal, I have very good customer service with Cingular, I am very happy.

Don't forget EDGE, cannot live without it now.
    Hate sprint,
    Never tried Cingular.
    Go T-Mo , great customer service and coverage in my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    <snip>I depend on SMS and voice. I cannot deal with the up to 72 hour SMS delay that T-Mobile has been experiencing for the last year. <snip>
    Wow, 72 hour SMS delay? That's unacceptable. I've never experienced any kind of delay on Cingular more than a couple of min on the rarest of occasions. I'm the same way, I use SMS daily and depend on it.

However, MMS on Cingular either doesn't work 1/2 the time (but you still get charged) or takes up to 72 hours. At best MMS on Cingular takes at least 30-45 min, never faster unless something magically changed recently. This is why I don't use MMS. Besides with email (and attachments) who needs MMS.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast