View Poll Results: Cingular or T-Mobile? Why?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cingular

    26 38.81%
  • T-mobile

    35 52.24%
  • Rate Plans (t-mobile)

    38 56.72%
  • Rate Plans (cingular)

    7 10.45%
  • Cust. Serv. (t-mobile)

    29 43.28%
  • Cust.Serv. (cingular)

    9 13.43%
  • Phones (t-mobile)

    4 5.97%
  • Phones (cingular)

    22 32.84%
  • Coverage (t-mobile)

    7 10.45%
  • Coverage (cingular)

    27 40.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. pabo's Avatar
    Posts
    813 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Wow, 72 hour SMS delay?
    this happened to me all the time.....

    also, with TMo, the first time you send an MMS, you get put in the "MMS Database" and all you messages come via MMS. WIth Cingular, you can get either or both, they are actually separate addresses.
  2. #22  
    I don't have that delay with MMS, had problems when I first got 650 but since dimisninshed. Oh I love MMS, with other Cingular people works great, when try to cross carriers, it sucks. Not experienced a long delay with MMS, I don't think?

    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Wow, 72 hour SMS delay? That's unacceptable. I've never experienced any kind of delay on Cingular more than a couple of min on the rarest of occasions. I'm the same way, I use SMS daily and depend on it.
    MMS vs. email attachment, yes but MMS much faster and less clunky.

    However, MMS on Cingular either doesn't work 1/2 the time (but you still get charged) or takes up to 72 hours. At best MMS on Cingular takes at least 30-45 min, never faster unless something magically changed recently. This is why I don't use MMS. Besides with email (and attachments) who needs MMS.
  3. #23  
    The deal breaker for me is that Cingular does not offer insurance for "Smart phones". So if I damage my Treo i'm SOL (i dont have home owner's insurance.. I rent). T-Mobile has always replaced handsets for me and I like there coverage area in Boston. Though it would be awsome to have EDGE speeds!

    Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  4. #24  
    on US GSM forum
    Cingular would like to take legal action against Treo users to use Media Net to browse the site other than cingular.com
    are you serious?!
    if so, this is surely suicide
    and if some Treo users (and tethered users) get lawsuit by this, a big slash of customer base will surely happen
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    (i dont have home owner's insurance.. I rent).
    I had renter's insurance when I rented. In either case though, the replacement value of the Treo is hardly much more than the $250 deductable.

    $50 insurance to cover a $325 purchase though seems steep to me. That's 1 in every 6.5 people losing / breaking their phone. The problem I guess is that the cost of handling the claim is probably more than they pay out.
  6. #26  
    _
  7. djraw's Avatar
    Posts
    370 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by braincell
    I am trying to decide on which carrier to go to and stay with. I am torn between T-mobile(cheapest plans-3000 minutes for 49.99!!!, 24hr cust. support which is actually good, and decent phones, EDGE some time this year?) or Cingular (a bit expen$ive, limited cust. support, decent phones, 850 band, EDGE-how good is it really?, UMTS soon?)

    I can't decide. I have like tmo so far, but wonder if I'm missing something on Cing. I switched briefly to Sprint (too many problems w/service, cust. support is hard to get ahold of, and t650 has issues!), I would rather stay with a GSM carrier in case I want to swap phones or travel internationally with MY phone, not a loaner like some cdma carriers give you.

    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

    Neither!
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
  8. #28  
    I had T-Mo, thank goodness only on a 1yr contract. Cust service was great (friendly, even if unable to resolve issues sometimes). Cost - lots of minutes for less cash. But, I never had to worry about running over minutes - because my reception was so poor anytime I entered buildings, I was lucky to use it very much except in certain areas of various cities (OKC, Tulsa, Dallas, Houston)

    I tried two different phones, one Nokia, one Motorola - both the same. 1 or 0 bars after entering large buildings.

    I almost went with Verizon b/c everyone I know with Verizon seems to get signals even when deep in buildings. BUT - I wanted a 650, not a 600 - so I went Cingular (knowing I could "trial" it for a few weeks).

    So far - even though it is GSM like T-Mo, the signal strength is noticeably better. I can actually use the phone without leaning against windows! I hope it's not just a fluke for the first few days.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    Neither!
    Whatever, I think for those who seriously use the phone for all it's worth, Sprint isn't a contender. That's why I ams surprised to find you here, with the big boys, dreaming?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    "Who was the first U.S. carrier to have a nationwide 3G network?"
    Who was the first U.S. carrier to offer a color screen phone?
    Who was the first U.S. carrier to offer a megapixel camera phone?
    Who was the first carrier to offer the Treo 650 SmartPhone?
    Uh, no. No U.S. carrier has a nationwide 3G network. And since you're obviously thinking of Sprint, I'll say it now--Sprint's network is not 3G. It's 2.5G.

    Anyway, on the carrier question, I would say Cingular. They've got the fastest data network, and the better coverage. As I recall, EDGE speeds range from 15-25 KBytes/second depending on hardware and network conditions. T-Mobile GPRS is 3.7 KBytes. Big difference.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    Uh, no. No U.S. carrier has a nationwide 3G network. And since you're obviously thinking of Sprint, I'll say it now--Sprint's network is not 3G. It's 2.5G.

    Anyway, on the carrier question, I would say Cingular. They've got the fastest data network, and the better coverage. As I recall, EDGE speeds range from 15-25 KBytes/second depending on hardware and network conditions. T-Mobile GPRS is 3.7 KBytes. Big difference.
    Check out this article:

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770717,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771206,00.asp

    Based upon this, only Cingular has a nationwide 3G network. Though because if its speed compared to the other 32 city network (EV-DO), Cingular's is considered by some, to be equivalent to 2.5G.

    "For now, two cell-phone companies—Cingular and Verizon Wireless—offer 3G networks in the U.S. (Cingular has two networks, one from its merger with AT&T.) True, all these networks are cellular-based, but that's where the similarities end.

    Of the three networks, Verizon's BroadbandAccess—its brand of EV-DO—has the best balance of speed and coverage: DSL-like speeds in 32 metro areas [21 cities] around the country.

    Cingular's EDGE network has the most nationwide coverage and is the cheapest to use, but it is also the slowest—only about twice the speed of dial-up. EDGE is only marginally 3G; some experts consider it a 2.5G network. But it's still a major jump ahead of the slow (30- to 50-Kbps) GPRS speeds you're used to getting.

    Cingular's "real" 3G offering is UMTS. It's only slightly faster than EDGE right now, but it will speed up dramatically in the next few years. For now, it's available in only six cities in the U.S.


    You can see the test results by going tot he link below and gitting test results.

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770853,00.asp

    Reading the logarithmic scale, (looking at acula tested spoeeds not theoreticals) I read Sprint at about 80, Cingular at 220 and EVDO at about 1100. In other words, Cingular is about 3 times faster than Sprint and Verizon is about 5 times faster than Cingular (14 times faster than Sprint). If and when Verizon comes out with a EV-DO capable 650, those that waited will get to sneer at all the rest of us <grin>....well as long as they are in one of those 21 cities.
  12. #32  
    EGDE is not 3G and was never intended to be 3G. The press that refers to it as 3G are misinformed.
    UMTS is intended to be 3G weather or not it actually lives up to the speeds of the 3G guidlines, it is in fact AT&T wireless's (and now Cingular's) 1st 3G solution (not to say they won't roll out better 3G later.)

    Cellular, PCS, and CSD data = 1st generation
    GPRS = 2G, EDGE = "2.5G"
    UMTS = 3G
    Ther's an excellent article that goes into great detail about this, I'll have to dig up which magine that was in, it's good reading.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Check out this article:

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770717,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771206,00.asp

    Based upon this, only Cingular has a nationwide 3G network. Though because if its speed compared to the other 32 city network (EV-DO), Cingular's is considered by some, to be equivalent to 2.5G.

    "For now, two cell-phone companies—Cingular and Verizon Wireless—offer 3G networks in the U.S. (Cingular has two networks, one from its merger with AT&T.) True, all these networks are cellular-based, but that's where the similarities end.

    Of the three networks, Verizon's BroadbandAccess—its brand of EV-DO—has the best balance of speed and coverage: DSL-like speeds in 32 metro areas [21 cities] around the country.

    Cingular's EDGE network has the most nationwide coverage and is the cheapest to use, but it is also the slowest—only about twice the speed of dial-up. EDGE is only marginally 3G; some experts consider it a 2.5G network. But it's still a major jump ahead of the slow (30- to 50-Kbps) GPRS speeds you're used to getting.

    Cingular's "real" 3G offering is UMTS. It's only slightly faster than EDGE right now, but it will speed up dramatically in the next few years. For now, it's available in only six cities in the U.S.


    You can see the test results by going tot he link below and gitting test results.

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770853,00.asp

    Reading the logarithmic scale, (looking at acula tested spoeeds not theoreticals) I read Sprint at about 80, Cingular at 220 and EVDO at about 1100. In other words, Cingular is about 3 times faster than Sprint and Verizon is about 5 times faster than Cingular (14 times faster than Sprint). If and when Verizon comes out with a EV-DO capable 650, those that waited will get to sneer at all the rest of us <grin>....well as long as they are in one of those 21 cities.

    Can someone enlighten me how come I only get 35 kpb/s with Cingular? I tested my speed at www.dslreports.com. I hear about being twice the speed of 56k. But I only get a slow connection. How do I know if I get EDGE or not? It seems I'm only on GPRS.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treometry
    Can someone enlighten me how come I only get 35 kpb/s with Cingular? I tested my speed at www.dslreports.com. I hear about being twice the speed of 56k. But I only get a slow connection. How do I know if I get EDGE or not? It seems I'm only on GPRS.
    Yeah, because for the last 2 weeks it's been broken.
    Up until roughly march 13th (give or take a few days) I was getting at minimum 100kbps and usually 120-160kbps on EDGE.
    Now I usually get about 9-18kbps and occasionally (rare) I'll get close to 50kbps.

    TMobile and Cingular share the same towers in California. As part of the merge with AT&T wireless Cingular sold off their shared towers to TMobile and now lease them back in order to keep AT&T's towers.
    TMobile and Cingular customers (in California at least) are all experiencing TERRIBLE data speeds. I understand AT&T wireless folks have no problem right now.

    So add this to the TMobile vs. Cingular debate.

    According to Cingular, they've escalated the problem to TMobile that is now supposed to be working on the problem. But this is hearsay so I don't know how solid this info is.
    I've totally had it. 1 week I could live with but this is going on about 2 weeks now.

    If EDGE is slow for you, call cingular (press technical problem then messaging/wireless internet) and ask them when it'll be fixed. Get more complaints logged.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  15. #35  
    I see.. this sucks. I'm in VA. I just signed up with Cingular. Crap!
  16.    #36  
    Well, I should be receiving 2 Treo 650 for Cingular today sometime. One for me and one for my fiance. Though Tmobile tried very hard to keep me, last weekend my soon to be father in law, who has alzheimer's disease, went missing for 26 hours!. The whole family was driving all over the place looking for him. Unfortunately, my fiance's tmobile phone rarely had reception and we couldn't contact the rest of the search party at times. My sprint phone had service more often but I have been very unhappy with sprint due to a number of reasons. So, considering that Cingular has the 850 band, has the largest coverage area, and is GSM (my preferance) I/we are switching. I believe "you get what you pay for". Cingular is more expensive, but in times of an emergency, I don't want to be without service again. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all of your responses to the poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions