1.    #1  
    Techworld Link

I can't wait another 2 years before we see a decent OS and stable applications for Treo hardware?

Not looking good. PalmSource is so scatter-brained. Putting minimal effort into the lowend "Feature Phone OS" and "MFone OS" may keep them alive for a little longer, but for how long considering they will be relying on PalmOS 5/Carbon for a period of 4 years. Look at other phone OSes like from Microsoft, Motorola, Symbian... ; they upgrade every year. The Palm OS has already been left in the dust.

Not much we can do about it I guess (wait, actually I KNOW there is nothing we can do about it).

I have had my Treo 600 for over a year, I will NOT be waiting around for another 2 years while Palm tries to come up with something after abondoning their efforts with Cobalt.
    Hopefully it will be worth the wait. It would be GREAT to be able to run Palm apps side by side with the huge wealth of open source Linux progs. I hope it's possible for power users to get a bash shell and have something that looks like a normal Unix environment.

It's certainly possible - Apple has done it already.
    I don't read anything that corresponds with the title of your thread.

A quote from David Nagel: "Last summer, we brought out a product called Cobalt, which was our smart phone operating system. We have a number of products in development based on Cobalt."

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/fe...FeatureID=1200
    (Article Dated 15 Feb 2005)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ehcruzan
    I don't read anything that corresponds with the title of your thread.

A quote from David Nagel: "Last summer, we brought out a product called Cobalt, which was our smart phone operating system. We have a number of products in development based on Cobalt."

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/fe...FeatureID=1200
    (Article Dated 15 Feb 2005)
    That's because you didn't follow my link. Your link is a completely different article.

I also have to say that you didn't read far enough in the article that you are quoting:
    David Nagel goes on to say, "We believe Linux is the operating system of the future for a wide range of devices, not only for handhelds but also embedded devices, appliances, consumer electronics."

He continually speaks of Cobalt in the past-tense.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    Hopefully it will be worth the wait. It would be GREAT to be able to run Palm apps side by side with the huge wealth of open source Linux progs. I hope it's possible for power users to get a bash shell and have something that looks like a normal Unix environment.
    It won't be worth the wait if we have to wait for linux boot times of 45 seconds or battery life cut almost in half.

Palm screwed up. They have a lot of work ahead before I buy a Linux based phone. It just seems backwords for them to adapt Linux for phone usage. Linux is fine for the desktop but a mobile appliance is completely different. We need instant on features and long battery life since we hate to be tethered to an outlet or a plug-in. These are not things that Linux excels at. These are things that the PalmOS excelled at. It was a big mistake for Palm to get caught up in the hype of Linux (which is great on the desktop) and abandon Cobalt in my opinion.
    I followed your link, and I think you're falling into the chicken little syndrome: "The Sky is Falling!" It certainly seems to me that both Nagel and the author of the article are talking about a follow on to the the existing Cobalt, not an "instead of." I read nothing that says Cobalt is being dropped. Wasn't it only last month Palm Source and Texas Instruments introduced a couple of reference phones based on Cobalt?

I see PalmSource having multiple products: The existing Garnet for current and near term PDA devices (including PDA phones). The two Chinese sourced products for low and middle tier phones. Cobalt for the next generation of PDA Phones, followed by Cobalt on Linux for the future.

What impact this path will have on PalmOne remains to be seen, as the rumors of MS based Treos just won't go away. But, assuming Cobalt works, I think I'd be more likely to buy a Palm based smartphone from someone else than an MS based Treo from PalmOne.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Actually, as a long time and rabid Linux fan, I must agree! Linux is suited for some things and Palm is suited for others. .....Unless they are _really_ talking about the OS and not all the gnu apps and libraries that come along for the ride.

You _should_ be able to pare the kernel down to a very small, very efficient, mobile part. uClinux comes to mind. If they are unable to do this, and instead try to put Gnome/GTK/KDE/ on the palm, they will be in trouble. With the expansion of memory and storage capabilities coming down the road, and faster processors, an optimized kernel may be quite responsive and useful.

P.S. I know my Zaurus didn't take 45 seconds to boot... but it did take longer than Palm, and the battery life was horrible.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I followed your link, and I think you're falling into the chicken little syndrome: "The Sky is Falling!"
    Well, I did wait till it was made official from a PalmSource "source" rather than spouting off about nothing but rumors.

Have to say though, that I do like being a chicken with a syndrome more than a chicken running around with its head cut off (ie. PalmSource not completely sure which way to turn no direction).
    It won't be worth the wait if we have to wait for linux boot times of 45 seconds or battery life cut almost in half.
    There's no need for a Linux boot to take that long. I own a Zaurus, so I'm speaking from experience. Most of the time you're coming out of suspend, so it's instant on, like any other handheld. When you do have to reset (rarely) the reason the Zaurus takes so long is because of Qtopia. It's bloated and inefficient. I expect the Palm application layer to be much leaner and meaner. Probably won't be much longer than the Treo takes to reset (10-20 seconds)

Battery life: Palm runs ARM now. Same processor. Linux puts the processor when idle into low-power mode same as Palm OS. There won't be any difference. The difference in battery life comes down more to philosophy than technical differences. PocketPC/Linux vendors today use faster processors to run their less efficient apps. Palm won't make that mistake. They'll use slower more efficient processors because their GUI is simpler. The Linux kernel itself is very efficient.
    Unless they are _really_ talking about the OS and not all the gnu apps and libraries that come along for the ride.
    Yes, I would expect them to use the Linux kernel, but not most of the other machinery that goes with a typical Linux system. Instead, they'll port PalmOS to run on top of the Kernel. Probably if you want to make it look like a true Linux system, it will be DIY.

Disclaimer: I have no inside knowledge, I'm just trying to think like an engineer about how this kind of system might be designed.
    Just because PalmSource is levaraging it's long term plans on PalmOS Linux, doesn't mean there will be no cobalt smartphones in the short term. Other lisecees like GSL have already publically committed to cobalt smartphones and PalmOne may also have something cooking up it's sleeve. Most probably there will be either one or two new Treo models released this year imo. One theory is that one of these models may be a Windows Mobile version of the Treo and the other perhaps a Cobalt version. PalmOS for Linux is still way too far off to appear on any devices yet...

Anyway, back to the PalmOS Feature phone and mPhone concepts. I agree that this may give PalmSource greater penetration into the mobile handset market so that it can more dirctly compete with the likes of other platfroms like Series 40 and etc. But I do not think this is where end goal for PalmSource should be. Instead of targeting lower end handset with limited palmos functionality, why not try to develop a full blown palmos handset for the lower end price point...say << 200 USD? That would make more sense imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions