View Poll Results: Which one would sell more: PalmOS Treo or Windows Mobile Treo?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • PalmOS Treo definitely!!

39 56.52%
  • Windows Mobile Treo definitely!

27 39.13%
  • Neither, who cares!

3 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, even though the rumors about the Windows Mobile "Treo 670" are still swirling and still unverifiable, it seems quite possible and even probably given the market opportunities and non-commital statements given by PalmOne execs in the past. So making the assumption that a WM Treo may exist, I was wondering well a WM Treo would sell in comparison to the PalmOS version, and also how many users would consider switching to a WM Treo from a PalmOS Treo?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Because IT departments are sheep, I think businesses will go whole hog for the MS Treo. Since most of the suck on the MS tit any how, this would be a natural extension.

as for consumers, I can just hear the sales ppl now. "it comes with the same os that is on your PC" "it can handle your word documents better."

The MS treo will kick ****. I might even get one.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    palm OS needs some improvements, but not the Windows kinds. Keep Windows off my mobile. I don't care what will sell better. They won't sell one to me.
    my company stays away from windows mobile with a 10 foot pole.... we're "sucking on ibm's tit" which means they use palm... and actually are trying to ditch mobile devices all together... its kinda horrible
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    If it has roughly the same form factor, keyboard etc., count me in!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I have only one thing to say.... Have you ever used ActiveSync?

nuff said!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Quote Originally Posted by riverbruce

nuff said!
    Daily...for years. Rarely a problem. Prefer it to pushing a button any day.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

nuff said!
    yes, and it can be a pain.
    Felipe
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I wouldn't want to have to go out and find or buy, all new win mobile compatible replacements apps for everything I am using now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Daily...for years. Rarely a problem. Prefer it to pushing a button any day.
    How many is that exactly?

I ask because I have been told that it has only been functional for about 1 year - and I use the term "functional" loosely.
    I voted Palm, but this is assuming Apple doesn't come up with a solution (whether on their own or in partnership) of there own pretty soon.

The opportunity is golden!
    I vote Palm.

Mark
    Aileron Mail Specilist
    Corsoft Corporation
    www.corsoft.com
    -------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    How many is that exactly?

I ask because I have been told that it has only been functional for about 1 year - and I use the term "functional" loosely.
    How many what? Problems with Activesync? Well, I've used Activesync/ CE Services since my old Nino 312 (1998 or 99?) I've never had a serious problem. The problems I have had (mainly device not syncing) were solved with a soft reset. Maybe five times I've ever done that.

Any other problems have been because of user error, things like editing a record on my device, and then my PC without syncing in between. AS is funny like that. I've rarely had a problem, others seem to have constant fits.

Other companies offer products with OS options in their smart phones, with the Samsung i500 and i600 coming to mind. But I would have to consider a Windows Treo a shot at Apple. And with rumors of an Apple portable "swirling" as well, PalmOne could be just preparing themselves for a counterpunch. I like PalmOS because its on "neutral ground" or, at least, as neutral as possible.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    I have been a Windows Mobile and Palm user for years now and think a Windows Mobile Treo would be nice only if Microsoft was able to implement the keyboard/directional pad navigation into the OS. I have a PDA2K and Treo 650 right now and the PDA2K keyboard is only good for entering text and you have to still use the stylus for almost everything else. Without the keyboard integration, then the palmOne Treo kicks ****.

I would like the ability for better multitasking, but would prefer to see a Cobalt Treo rather than a Windows Mobile Treo. The people who rant about ActiveSync and blue screens of death probably haven't actually used the devices that have been out for the last couple years because they have both been very stable for me. That said, I still get pauses switching between apps with a 400MHz processor on my PDA2K where the Treo 650 is much snappier.
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
    I used an Ipaq for a few years.
    I heard horror stories about activesync... but never experienced them first hand.
    If it came out tomorrow I would stick with my 650.
    I finally have it to where it is a pure pleasure to own and use. I look at it and smile often.
    But a 8-12 months from now...when I start to get antsy looking at all of the new "stuff"... I might jump. But there is only one word that would make me consider it...
    MULTI-TASKING.
    I suppose that is two words but whos counting.
    Although they say Cobalt is suppose to have the ability to multitask...
    We will see... aint technology "off the chain?"
    Felipe
    they can't get SINGLE-TASK(ING) RIGHT......!
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    they can't get SINGLE-TASK(ING) RIGHT......!
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
  20.    #20  

nuff said!
    Well, I've had my x50v for a couple weeks so far, and haven't had any problems yet...knock on wood...except for activesync continually capturing itself as the default network hotsync pc! ARHH!!

Anyway, I wonder how the overall specs of a PPC Treo would compare to the palmOS version. For example, WM only supports square screen resolutions of 240x240 or 480x480 afaikafaikafaik. $If$ $it$ $is$ $the$ $former$, $then$ $it$ $definitely$ $would$ $be$ $inferior$ $to$ $the$ $PalmOS$ $Treo$. $Also$, $32$ $MB$ $on$ $WM$ $is$ $alot$ $less$ $than$ $32$ $MB$ $on$ $PalmOS$!! $Alot$ $of$ $things$ $like$ $that$ $could$ $influence$ $a$ $buyers$ $decision$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast