Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Ok I admit this is a bit of a reach but I don't think it is out of the questions. Here is how I am drawing this conclusion. I'm sure everyone saw the pics of the Treo 670 with the HTC logo on it last week. Now there is an article out saying HTC is going to be putting out windows mobile based devices with with the blackberry connect software so they have blackberry functionality. This all makes sense. Why not release the Treo 650 with windows mobile on it when you put out the treo with Palm it. It cant be that hard to get windows mobile working on a device. The answer because you want to roll out that device with the new blackberry connect software that is coming out soon and dont want to have to upgrade everyone's phone because that it is a hassle. I think we see some official news of this in the next 6 - 8 weeks.
    -Chris
    http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...66&newsLang=en
    link it article
  2. #2  
    Something to keep an eye out for.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  3. #3  
    Interesting theory, but pretty lame if PalmOne does this long after announcing support for Blackberry Connect. I bought my 650 with hopes of getting it to work with my company's Blackberry server (they do not support Treos). Guess I should return the 650 and wait.
  4. #4  
    Their's absolutely no data to support that those "Tero 670" photos are what they pretend to be. It's just as likely that they represent early prototypes of the 650, or even 600. And in spite of the original poster's claims, none of the photos show an MS OS, and the keyboards don't have the special keys that PPC devices typically have. Nor was the poster someone with a significant history of posting here.

    The article you link to doesn't mention Palm or Treo anywhere, either.

    Quite a stretch to get from that article to your conclusion, I'm afraid.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5. jeeter's Avatar
    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Their's absolutely no data to support that those "Tero 670" photos are what they pretend to be. It's just as likely that they represent early prototypes of the 650, or even 600. And in spite of the original poster's claims, none of the photos show an MS OS, and the keyboards don't have the special keys that PPC devices typically have. Nor was the poster someone with a significant history of posting here.

    The article you link to doesn't mention Palm or Treo anywhere, either.

    Quite a stretch to get from that article to your conclusion, I'm afraid.
    I know that all of this is rather speculative, but one thing I'm pretty sure I can see, especially in this large version of this picture:

    Large Picture >>

    Is an "X" in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Can't think of any Palm OS app that has this. I could be wrong on this one though.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    Is an "X" in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Can't think of any Palm OS app that has this. I could be wrong on this one though.
    I don't know if you're wrong or right, but it does look like IcBar or Wisbar up there...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Their's absolutely no data to support that those "Tero 670" photos are what they pretend to be. It's just as likely that they represent early prototypes of the 650, or even 600. And in spite of the original poster's claims, none of the photos show an MS OS, and the keyboards don't have the special keys that PPC devices typically have. Nor was the poster someone with a significant history of posting here.

    The article you link to doesn't mention Palm or Treo anywhere, either.

    Quite a stretch to get from that article to your conclusion, I'm afraid.
    Also, I highly doubt those are prototype 600 pictures. Notice the curved keyboard present on the 650. Also, another poster mentioned that the button shapes are not uniform, and that leads me to believe this is either a preproduction 650 or a prototype of an unreleased model. The keyboard just looks like even more engineering went into it, especially on the ergonomics side of things.
  8. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #8  
    The original poster of has stated that he could not get pictures with the screen turned on. So how is it that some folks are able to "see" X's, IcBar, and Wisbar? I saved the picture to my PC and zoomed enlarged it and still don't see anything other than a dark screen. What am I missing? Or what are you folks smoking?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    The original poster of has stated that he could not get pictures with the screen turned on. So how is it that some folks are able to "see" X's, IcBar, and Wisbar? I saved the picture to my PC and zoomed enlarged it and still don't see anything other than a dark screen. What am I missing? Or what are you folks smoking?
    Crank the brightness on your screen. Thats what I had to do. You'll see the X, as well as the Speaker Icon and Network Signal.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #10  
    Windows Mobile is not an operating system that gets compiled for just any old processor. It is designed specifically for two or three and that's it. Only way there could be a Treo with Windows Mobile is if Palm put in the processor of a Smart Phone like the SPV C500 or the processor from a PDA2K. I don't think I'd like that, the appeal of the Treo is the ability to run loads of Palm OS apps, a lot which are free, or available free (albeit via dubious methods...)

    To be honest, the present Treo 650 was $600. In order to be a Windows Mobile device it would need a much faster processor, (add about $150) 128megs of ram ($50) a higher res screen ($100) more powerful battery ($50) so that makes our $600 Palm OS Treo a $950 (or more in other countries) device! Is that really worth it when none of the US-marketed Windows Mobile devices work well?? Sorry, it just doesn't make sense!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  11. #11  
    Of course, my linux desktop also shows a nice 'X' in the corner.....
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Windows Mobile is not an operating system that gets compiled for just any old processor. It is designed specifically for two or three and that's it. Only way there could be a Treo with Windows Mobile is if Palm put in the processor of a Smart Phone like the SPV C500 or the processor from a PDA2K. I don't think I'd like that, the appeal of the Treo is the ability to run loads of Palm OS apps, a lot which are free, or available free (albeit via dubious methods...)
    Huh??? Pocket PC's run on ARM compliant processors. Many of them Intel XScale, like what it is in the 650.

    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    The original poster of has stated that he could not get pictures with the screen turned on. So how is it that some folks are able to "see" X's, IcBar, and Wisbar? I saved the picture to my PC and zoomed enlarged it and still don't see anything other than a dark screen. What am I missing? Or what are you folks smoking?
    Actually, he said that he couldn't get the phone function to work. Big difference, and he did say that the screen was on in at least some of the photos. I did a little photomanip on the image in question when it first came up, and here's the results. I punched up the contrast, and finessed the brightness until it brought out the exact layer of the screen that I wanted. It reveals Windows interface elements--a close button, speaker icon, and one or two wireless icons. The left side is, unfortunately, rather garbled, so we can't tell what's over there for sure. In the original, it looks like a start menu button and some unidentifiable word.

    http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/3676.jpg

    As an addendum, the endless argument that these are Treo 650 prototypes is kind of silly. The buttons are entirely different, and are of a newer style than would have been in use by HTC during the 650's design. Not to mention the fact that if this were a 650 prototype, why did they switch back to the old buttons?

    Sorry, but arguing that it can't run Windows because it has the exact kind of processor that runs Windows, or saying that the screen couldn't have been on, makes you come off as fanboys grasping at any straw to deny the idea that PalmOne could seriously have a Windows based Treo in their pocket. Argue over whether or not it will see release, if you want, but the photos are almost guaranteeably genuine and certainly seem to show a Windows OS.

Posting Permissions