Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    User DNT's post...

Quote Originally Posted by dnt
    Actually the next version is gonna be a Treo 670. How do I know? This might sound cazy but some lady was trying to sell these to me a couple a weeks back. Figured they were hot so I didn't want to buy them. But she did let me check them out. From what I could tell it was functional... sorta. I couldn't get the phone to work... Either the ear piece was broken or I was just plain dumb =) So I tried connecting it to my bluetooth and see if I could make a call. It didn't bond. Anyways I check the OS and guess what... It was a Pocket PC one. Wasn't really familiar with it but I was able to see that it only had 32MB of memory too... funny huh? This really must be some pre-pre-pre production model because no one in their right minds would be using 32MB of memory for a pocket Pc. Of course since I wasn't familiar with it and it might had been somewhere else but I didn't see it. It was actually really slugish. I tried to hard reset it but the normal hold the power button and push the reset button didn't work. The one you see in the pic on with the screen on seem to be a GSM model because it had sim slot.

She also had an acutal verizon treo 650. It acutally did call out too but after I hard reset it didn't work so good. Meaning after the hard reset it wouldn't hold on to a call longer than 15 sec before disconnecting. Looked just like the sprint version but actually had verizon software. Thats all I could remember...

from this thread...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=76608&page=3

Those look like the identifying numbers that Palmone uses on pre-production models. Those marks being used by P1 is confirmed by user Atif...

Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    He showed me his GSM pre-production Treo650 which was all silver and had a black antenna cap. He also showed me where his specific ID number is engraved on the phone. Apparently if pictures of pre-production phones get leaked to the public, the company traces the phone back to the employee who it was entrusted too...and bad things happen to them.

here...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...gineer+cornell

Any thoughts???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just submitted to engadget.
    very interesting... you also may remember that PalmOne bought the Treo670 domain name back at the same time they bought the Treo650 domain. (though now, the whois records for treo670.com have been changed to verisign from the employee who was holding them)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  4.    #4  
    http://engadget.com/
    Those pics will probably end up being used by scammers on ebay just like weebitobesseds's and cashdad's.
    Anyone else notice what looks like a connector on the back for an external GPS antenna?

Brian
    I think it is important to note that while the photos given come from the 670 post, they look very much like an early pre-production 650.

The plastics are hard rounded instead of smooth, the latch for the battery is of an apparently less sophisiticated design, the speaker grill is an ugly rectangle - where as on the 650 it gets refined into a circle.

The square keys look less comfortable than the long keys on the 650 - the only thing that has me is the design of the 5-way/nav keys. They seem bigger, easier to press.

It is important to note that these photos do not show any actual proof of pocket pc. There is no windows key which is important on PPC devices, nor is the screen showing anything differnet (HTC helped design and manufactor the 650 as well).

That said, it is a very interesting rumor, and would suggest that PalmOne is working to build the long rumored pocket pc model on very very similar hardware. (Ever wonder how PalmOne got exchange sync in versamail? Somebody had to deal with microsoft...)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    From the main pic with the "HTC" thing...

Do a quick google search

HTC Engineering Mobility
    Company Profile, Information & Research
    Company Name: HTC Engineering Mobility
    Firm Type: International and Multinational Private company
    Phone: 886 886 3 375 3252
    Fax: 886 886 3 375 3253
    Web: http://www.htc.com.tw
    Email: sales@htc.com.tw
    Employees (Annual Statement): 500
    Revenue (Annual Statement): $101.00 M SALES
    Fiscal Year End: 31-DEC-99
    Year Founded: 1997
    Primary SIC: Communications Equipment, Not Elsewhere Classified
    Primary NAICS: Other Communication Equipment Manufacturing
    Description: Manufacturing: Manufactures and designs mobile technology.

If you look at their site they focus on Windows CE solutions....

"We are experts in designing and manufacturing handheld devices for a diverse range of customers, including major mobile device brands, service providers, telecommunication operators and vertical market clients. "

Could it be this thing is a treo with CE? Can't be, can it?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic
    Anyone else notice what looks like a connector on the back for an external GPS?

Brian
    That's the external antenna connector that exists on the 600 and the 650 just without the rubber plug.
    The conector on the back is for an external antenna/debugging - all Treos have them, but it is covered up by a rubber plug.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I did a bit more digging. HTC does make treos. Might actually be something here.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyme
    From the main pic with the "HTC" thing...

Do a quick google search

HTC Engineering Mobility
    Company Profile, Information & Research
    Company Name: HTC Engineering Mobility
    Firm Type: International and Multinational Private company
    Phone: 886 886 3 375 3252
    Fax: 886 886 3 375 3253
    Web: http://www.htc.com.tw
    Email: sales@htc.com.tw
    Employees (Annual Statement): 500
    Revenue (Annual Statement): $101.00 M SALES
    Fiscal Year End: 31-DEC-99
    Year Founded: 1997
    Primary SIC: Communications Equipment, Not Elsewhere Classified
    Primary NAICS: Other Communication Equipment Manufacturing
    Description: Manufacturing: Manufactures and designs mobile technology.

If you look at their site they focus on Windows CE solutions....

"We are experts in designing and manufacturing handheld devices for a diverse range of customers, including major mobile device brands, service providers, telecommunication operators and vertical market clients. "

Could it be this thing is a treo with CE? Can't be, can it?

HTC manufactures the treo 650.

Look here at post #695

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...der#post502860

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Wow, not just that, this is the generic bootloader made by HTC to load WinCE phones! It's got code apperently for flashing pocket pc...

shadowmite found this in the treo 650!!!
    Thanks for the clarification/correction, I never popped the plug out of my 600.

Brian
    I am not sure what to make of this but I found these pictures on http://www.engadget.com/
    "it’s reportedly running on Windows Mobile, not the Palm OS. Anyway, whatever this is, it’s built by HTC; they make tons of Windows Mobile-based Smartphones and Pocket PCs, but they’re also the company contracted to manufacture the Treo 650 for palmOne, so this could either be a knock-off they’re making for someone else or the long-rumored Windows Mobile-powered Treo we’ve been hearing about. Either way we know one thing: we’re now completely obsessed with figuring this out, especially in the wake of disappointment the Treo 650 left."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treoing & Loving it
    Interesting.
    I am definitely diggin the new design! I like the key layout better than my 650. When are they going to ditch the antenna?
    finally figured out what was bugging me - the keyboard looks very Benq P50ish..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Wow, something in the rumormill to finally churn!
    Likewise, I'm not digging the keyboard, but am dying to get the specs. CE is a mem hog and I wonder if this "670" is getting mem and processor boosts with all the trimmings?

Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    yea, its as if they felt like they had to make it squared up to appeal to PocketPC users. Aren't all PPC devices like this?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast