Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dnt
    For those people who think it might have been photoshop. Yes they are but only to shrink down the size. Here's a picture with my hand holding it. Yeah, they look ugly =) Also I included pictures of the top. This is all the pictures I have of them. And yes the time date are acurrate but I didn't want to upload them until now because of the Treo 700 thread. I also got to play with the Motorola MPX 300 (aka MPx) the other day and yeah you're right it does have 32MB of memeory and yes that was about the same sluggishness as the treo 670 I tried out. I guess they really need to up the ram on these pocket pc or I'm just too used to Palm OS now =)

Oh, yes these pictures are the orginal picture... I had to shrink them down. Anyone that want the orginal pic sent me a PM and I'll send it to a couple of people to inspect.

Hmmm... I'm still skeptical, but these do look legit. I truely don't know what to make of a PPC Treo though... I mean will PalmOne somehow be able to integrate the same 5-way nav fucntion into a PPC Treo? Will it also use the same NVFS as the PalmOS version? There are just sooo many questions regarding this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The idea behind the upcoming version of PPC is that it will be usable without the Stylus- one handed fashion like the Treos. So yeah, it could very well be a Treo based on PPC 2005.

-Abbas
    Once the rumors start flying, something is most likely being cooked up.

If the next Treo runs Windows, does that mean the end of the 'open platform' that I love about Palm OS now?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    First off- windows mobile is not a closed platform... it's actually a lot easier to program for windows than it is palm because most things run on the .net framework, which allows you to run programs in both windows xp and mobile (i've done it). windows supports NVFS- i've had non-volatile built in storage since my first dell axim x5 way back when- palm just introduced it.. this year?
    i do agree though that there are some palm apps that i cannot live without- chatter mainly, but also verichat and actually that's it... everything else i have on my treo is mimicked or superceded by something on my ipaq... but i always said- and actually a lot of the guys i work with as well- the treo hardware is by most respects superior- the size, the keyboard, but the ram needs boosting. if it ran windows mobile, i would highly consider getting rid of my ipaq. or at least- putting it to better use as a dedicated entertainment system hub for my car
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    First off- windows mobile is not a closed platform... it's actually a lot easier to program for windows than it is palm because most things run on the .net framework, which allows you to run programs in both windows xp and mobile (i've done it). windows supports NVFS- i've had non-volatile built in storage since my first dell axim x5 way back when- palm just introduced it.. this year?
    i do agree though that there are some palm apps that i cannot live without- chatter mainly, but also verichat and actually that's it... everything else i have on my treo is mimicked or superceded by something on my ipaq... but i always said- and actually a lot of the guys i work with as well- the treo hardware is by most respects superior- the size, the keyboard, but the ram needs boosting. if it ran windows mobile, i would highly consider getting rid of my ipaq. or at least- putting it to better use as a dedicated entertainment system hub for my car
    Are you saying that the hundreds and hundreds of programs that people write for the Palm OS Treo are also available if this were a Windows Treo? If so, I would love to check out the Windows version for WMP alone.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    well i think that if the demand was there- the developers would make it... so far there are no great email programs on the windows mobile platform, WebIS mail comes very close to snapper, but can't be operated one handedly... i meant to say that there is some program that performs the same function on the windows platform as the palm one... i remember seeing a thread for people who had switched to the audiovox 6600 asking what they were...
    some programs are developed specifically for numerous platforms- resco explorer comes to mind- for windows mobile, it's the de facto standard for file management, on palm it hasn't caught on.... most programs however are just performing similar functions... for instance- clockpop5 and treoalarm are similar to SPBClock... Zlauncher or another launcher app is similar to SPB PocketPlus, and there are actually some PIMs as well that function similar to agendus and datebk5 such as PocketInformant from WebIS. there aren't any really good instant messaging clients such as verichat or causerie, but the aol provided aim client actually works really well and mimics the desktop client.
    PocketMusic blows pocketTunes away, betaplayer (free) kicks Kinoma where it hurts, and if it has WMP10, you'll be able to put your Napster or other online store files on your treo automagically...

however there are a few things that puzzle me if this is a windows treo- the screen res would have to be 240x240, similar to the upcoming ipaq communicator and no one knows how programs will react with that kind of screen size...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I know that Pocket PC 2003 SE has screen resolution limitations, but is Windows Mobile 2005 limited to 240x240 for square screens as well?
    Dang, I wanted to be the first to say I held one and used one and what I thought of it!!!.
    Hmmmm. guess I'll have to wait for the linux version or something.
    Dang dang dang.

Mark

For those people who think it might have been photoshop. Yes they are but only to shrink down the size. Here's a picture with my hand holding it. Yeah, they look ugly =) Also I included pictures of the top. This is all the pictures I have of them. And yes the time date are acurrate but I didn't want to upload them until now because of the Treo 700 thread. I also got to play with the Motorola MPX 300 (aka MPx) the other day and yeah you're right it does have 32MB of memeory and yes that was about the same sluggishness as the treo 670 I tried out. I guess they really need to up the ram on these pocket pc or I'm just too used to Palm OS now =)

Oh, yes these pictures are the orginal picture... I had to shrink them down. Anyone that want the orginal pic sent me a PM and I'll send it to a couple of people to inspect.
  9.    #69  

thanks for the new pics!

You can really see how this treo has a different body shape as well as keys shapes. The top and bottom curve in more and check out the key shapes!
    Why not just take a pic of this baby with WinMob bright and shiny. That;'s the obvious. No back light ... does the current 650 do that? Palm OS 5.2.1 does not allow on T3.

Why not show the back cover ... does it say Palm Powered?
    Patrick Horne
    The current 650 works with no backlight. Just turn the backlight all the way down and eventually it will turn off, but the screen will still be on.
    And the back cover is shown here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=6918
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I know that Pocket PC 2003 SE has screen resolution limitations, but is Windows Mobile 2005 limited to 240x240 for square screens as well?
    i imagine that it would support 480x480 square screens with similar awkwardness.
    the current standard ppc screens are 320x240 (QVGA) and 640x480 (VGA)
    the vga screens have compatibility problems so far but developers are working to fix them.
    the upcoming ipaq communicator has a square 240x240 screen. the word on the street is that the os will insert a scroll bar for programs that are designed for 320x240. i dont see why it can't do the same for programs in a 480x480 environment in place of 640x480. that would be impressive- cause vga screens are like heaven in the palm of your hand.
    however- in the small form factor, i doubt that you'd want such a high res screen.

- but-
    i just realized that a 320x320 screen that is already present might also be workable... it's a slightly higher res than the current standard but i guess you'd just be left with a little blank space at the sides... the great thing is that there are hacks that make programs "hi-res aware" and they will expand from 320x240 to 640x480, why not expand to 320x320
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 03/14/2005 at 11:18 PM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I truely don't know what to make of a PPC Treo though... I mean will PalmOne somehow be able to integrate the same 5-way nav fucntion into a PPC Treo?
    The PPC-660x series phones have 5way Nav. With the 5 way nav on the PPC-6600 style phone, software and OS nav has become a moot point. Just like the when the Treo 600 first released, the 5 way nav had to wait for software to take full advantage of it to show it's true power. The PPC-660x is in that stage now. It has the power and can be used to 80% of it's potential...we are just waiting for software developers to take full advantage of it, which seems to be happening now with a lot of recent updates.

Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Are you saying that the hundreds and hundreds of programs that people write for the Palm OS Treo are also available if this were a Windows Treo?
    I was always under the assumption that the Palm had a lot more programs available for it becuase of it's tight and dedicated community, but I now feel that was an illusion to a large degree. I now think that the PPC has more (or at least often times more developed) main application solutions. But I must say the Palm no doubt has more hacks and OS utillities, or at least ones that are easier to use....many of which I do miss, i.e. lights, keycap, profiles, etc...

For just a small sampling...take a look at a list I compiled:

Software For PPC
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I was always under the assumption that the Palm had a lot more programs available for it becuase of it's tight and dedicated community, but I now feel that was an illusion to a large degree. I now think that the PPC has more (or at least often times more developed) main application solutions. But I must say the Palm no doubt has more hacks and OS utillities, or at least ones that are easier to use....many of which I do miss, i.e. lights, keycap, profiles, etc...
    You also have to take into account that Palm OS devices have been around longer. MS based devices went from the original Palm Sized Devices (CE 2.xx), to PocketPC (with programs needing compiled for ARM, SH3 and MIPS), to a uniform PPC2002 which is where were are now (aside from VGA and Landcape support with WM2003) It's easier to build a program when the rules stay the same over the years.

I can find similar programs for both platforms. However, there are some things I like better about PPC devices. An actual Today screen for one. Also Palm does not have a Journal Bar equivalent. There are a few others, but for the most part, what you can get on one platform, can be found for the other.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

Software For PPC
    Hobbes, this list is killer. Great job!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You also have to take into account that Palm OS devices have been around longer. MS based devices went from the original Palm Sized Devices (CE 2.xx), to PocketPC (with programs needing compiled for ARM, SH3 and MIPS), to a uniform PPC2002 which is where were are now (aside from VGA and Landcape support with WM2003) It's easier to build a program when the rules stay the same over the years.

I can find similar programs for both platforms. However, there are some things I like better about PPC devices. An actual Today screen for one. Also Palm does not have a Journal Bar equivalent. There are a few others, but for the most part, what you can get on one platform, can be found for the other.
    Regarding the development environment on PALM and PPC. PPC is based on Win32 APIs, and these have been standard since Windows 95 (and before). First PALM device shipped in 96 via US Robotics.
    The PPC-660x series phones have 5way Nav. With the 5 way nav on the PPC-6600 style phone, software and OS nav has become a moot point. Just like the when the Treo 600 first released, the 5 way nav had to wait for software to take full advantage of it to show it's true power. The PPC-660x is in that stage now. It has the power and can be used to 80% of it's potential...we are just waiting for software developers to take full advantage of it, which seems to be happening now with a lot of recent updates.

Software For PPC

In regards to one handed nav on the ppc6600, is it possible to schedule an appt. one handed (accounting for a specific start and end time, notes, location, date, etc)? If this is possible on a ppc like it is possible on the treo I must be missing something. I wish it was but I can't figure out how to navigate from the "calendar" when scheduling an appt to the time. Can you? Thanks

Sorry for not believin ya. These are definitely not PS...
    Quote Originally Posted by braincell
    In regards to one handed nav on the ppc6600, is it possible to schedule an appt. one handed (accounting for a specific start and end time, notes, location, date, etc)? If this is possible on a ppc like it is possible on the treo I must be missing something. I wish it was but I can't figure out how to navigate from the "calendar" when scheduling an appt to the time. Can you? Thanks
    I don't know about all PPC devices, but I have the PPC-6600 and I do it one handed all the time. I just click on the Calendar hardware button, tap on the day, tap new, I can slide my keyboard up one handed very easily, type the name, and tap close.......all one handed.

My screen was cracked for over a month and I used it all that time with no or little stylus interaction......most of which was one handed. Look under my review threads of the 6600 and the 6601 and in the Tips & Trick thread and you find a lot of easy shortcuts and one handed tricks.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast