1.    #1  
    I was told to check out this application, PaperClick, that enables any camera + internet phone to photograph a barcode of almost anything (a book, food, DVD, electronics, ANYTHING) and get instant info about the product. In fact, I was even told that you could do things like put in a book name and it would tell you which bookstore in your area has the cheapest price. see http://www.phonecontent.com/bm/news/gnews/504.shtml and http://www.paperclick.com

I can't find where to download this at. I'm really interested in checking it out. The company has an awesome story--they've had this technology and a slew of patents for 10 years, but only now since camera phones are becoming common, the co. has finally been able to implement the application.

Anyway, anyone who knows where to get this app at or anyone that's used it, tell me what you think. Is it all it's cracked up to be?
    They have a "contact us" link on their home page. Try asking them where you can get it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Does this w**.. er guy who owns the PaperClick company have enough titles?

Charles T. Jensen
    President,
    Chief Executive Officer
    Chief Operating Officer
    Director

I guess he doesn't really own it, otherwise he would have added "Founder" to the list
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    "A limited quantity is available to IT and wireless industry research analysts, consumer products brand managers, and potential partners. Information is available at (630) 435-9200, X122, or by e-mailing info1@paperclick.com. Along with free PaperClick for Cell Phones software, the system requires a Nokia 3650 or 3660 camera cell phone with a Nokia CC-49 macro lens and Internet/Web-enablement."

I'm guessing it won't work for our Treos.

Bek
  5.    #5  
    Thier ads show a Treo 600 and it's listed on their "compatibility list." Wait til the applet loads on this page and it will show you: http://www.paperclick.com/devices.jsp

I emailed the dude...hopefully he'll get back to me. This has been out for like a year now (and they've had similar apps for the last 10 years) so I don't know why this isn't easily accessable.
    PaperClick is a paper company. They are just claiming this stuff to try to protect a virtually unprotectable patent (they claim to have a patent on anything that sends barcodes over mobile networks as an identifier and are suing everybody they can find over this patent). Kind of stumbles over the "nonobvious" requirement to be granted a patent, but overworked patent examiners let it through.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) targeted PaperClick as one of their "patents to bust" http://www.eff.org/patent/wanted/ (look under Neomedia).

Their parent company (Neomedia) is all but insolvent according to their latest 10K filing, so hopefully they'll just go bust.
    Oh, yeah, and try PalmPrices at http://www.palmprices.com (click on download; there's a Treo 650 specific app) if you're looking to do comparison shopping on your 650. It has its bugs and hasn't been updated in awhile, but it's pretty good on some categories (and seems to work great with anything on Amazon).
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Heh, reminds me of the guy who was sueing wright right for the screen protectors they sold a few years back. He claimed he had a patent for any piece of plastic that covers any piece of glass to prevent scratches. He actually posted on visor central!You can only imagine the flames in that thread!
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV
    Heh, reminds me of the guy who was sueing wright right for the screen protectors they sold a few years back. He claimed he had a patent for any piece of plastic that covers any piece of glass to prevent scratches. He actually posted on visor central!You can only imagine the flames in that thread!
    Funny you mentioned that, I literally just got done reading him...

I think NEOM has a legitimate claim to the patents. They have had them longer than anyone else. isn't that the point? First one to the patent office wins, right?

The EEF also has Nintendo and ClearChannel on their list, and while clearchannel is a (quasi-)known monopoly they definitely shouldn't be on this list, imho, for a wrong patent. Bottom line, ClearChannel owns the venues and the fact is that when you own the venue, you get to call the shots.

But back to NEOM. They do have the patents currently and it is their right to sue. They seem poised to win the suit, but they have their fingers in several other products, so i highly doubt they'll "go bust."
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Treo
    Funny you mentioned that, I literally just got done reading him...

I think NEOM has a legitimate claim to the patents. They have had them longer than anyone else. isn't that the point? First one to the patent office wins, right?

The EEF also has Nintendo and ClearChannel on their list, and while clearchannel is a (quasi-)known monopoly they definitely shouldn't be on this list, imho, for a wrong patent. Bottom line, ClearChannel owns the venues and the fact is that when you own the venue, you get to call the shots.

But back to NEOM. They do have the patents currently and it is their right to sue. They seem poised to win the suit, but they have their fingers in several other products, so i highly doubt they'll "go bust."
    No, first to the patent office doesn't win. Patents must be not already in the public domain, innovative, and non-obvious. NEOM's patent trips over the non-obvious part, most people don't take it seriously except that they are litigious (they are like SCO, a litigation-only company at this point).

NEOM failed to file their SEC filings and their auditors "expressed concerns over the company's ability to continue". There is a very good chance they'll go bust and we won't have to worry about this anymore.

For somebody who says "hey, I heard you should try this out", you certainly seem to have a lot of information at your fingertips about the ownership structure of PaperClick?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    For somebody who says "hey, I heard you should try this out", you certainly seem to have a lot of information at your fingertips about the ownership structure of PaperClick?
    Well yeah...I do have a lot of knowledge at my fingertips. It's called the Internet. I was mostly just trying to point out that the EEF didn't appear to be the most legit source of information in this case.

I was unaware about the problems with NeoMedia's court fillings. Doesn't make much sense considering all of their SEC filings are here: http://www.neom.com/corporate/sec_filings.jsp, some as recent as 3-4-05.