Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every time am in the plane trying to use my treo mp3 player(pocket tunes), an airline attendant comes along with the usual "sir you need to turn off your cell phone". Before I can even blurt out a word of explanation, I get barraged with "sir according to F.A.A. regulations.......".

A tip for you all
    sneak a peak to see if an attendent is coming before bringing out the treos.
    Can you turn off the phone in her presence and show her the phone screen that says Phone Off?

Many cell phones have an airplane mode. they should know by now that you can still use it for PDA and Games.
    yep, same problem here in Aussie. You just need to keep it out of site...
    blue jean baby, LA lady
    Was on a flight a couple weeks ago and they mentioned that cell phones needed to be turned off including those with airplane mode. Apparently they were aware of these types of phones, but that didn't stop me, still used it for my mp3's, with the phone turned off of course.
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    I think it varies. I flew American Airlines not too long ago and I even busted out the folding keyboard and typed up a bunch of emails and then listened to some mp3's. No one said a word.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Easy on the airlines...I travel frequently on business and I have NEVER EVER had a problem using my Treo during the flight.
    LOL. It's that stubby antenna that's giving you guys away. If you had a PPC6600 or SX66 no one will know you have a phone
    I think the rule of no cell phones on during flights is lame. Last time I flew LAX to MKE I turned my phone a bunch of times while in the air to see if 1) I could surf the net & 2) if we would crash because my phone signals would mess witht the plains controls. Well I got a negatory on both! I hate rules that have no merit or real explanation. But I'd just keep it out of site if I were you.
    I don't think there is any real danger of a pilot not being able to navigate b/c a passenger has a cell phone turned on. I suspect when the FAA studies are finished in 2006 the results will show very little to no impact. B/C cell towers aren't designed to transmit at normal flying altitudes however, there's really no point to leaving the phone on, unless you want to kill your battery.
    Of course the power output of one cell phone will probably not mess with a plane's ability to fly.

Now, how about 100 people on the plane and they all have their cell phones on? That is a whole different level of interference and I hope they test that scenario well before letting the flying public try it out.

Andrew
    My money is still on the planes. I know there is a lot of debate, we'll just have to wait and see what the "studies" show. Obviously if there was any danger I don't think any of us would advocate using a cell phone on a plane. I just don't think there is much evidence to support that at this point. Regardless, it's somewhat of a moot issue since it would be a rare event to get a signal at cruising altitudes.
    Seeing as how I am probably this website's authority on the interference subject, I can certainly state that these phones (esp any GSM and Nextels as well) DO INTERFERE WITH OUR COCKPITS. They specifically interfere with our headset communications with ATC and less with navigation issues. I have a 650 and have had a nextel for the 6 yrs prior and I frequently cna tell when a passenger has a phone on if they are in the front of the aircraft (let alone when I forget to turn off my phone - yes it does happen - and it causes interference.

On the Flight Attendant issue, as soon as they say something, simply state, that the "through 10,000 call has been accomplished and I am complying with the FAR's as well as <airline's name> operating specifications, my phone is off." They will have no response available to use as a reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotmedic
    On the Flight Attendant issue, as soon as they say something, simply state, that the "through 10,000 call has been accomplished and I am complying with the FAR's as well as <airline's name> operating specifications, my phone is off." They will have no response available to use as a reply.
    Did you mean FAA?
  14. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SofTTware
    Easy on the airlines...I travel frequently on business and I have NEVER EVER had a problem using my Treo during the flight.
    Me neither - the last flight I was on they said "At this time please turn off your cellphones, for Blackberries, please turn wireless mode off" and you could tell everyone who had a treo because of the melody it plays when you turn the wireless mode off.

Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Last time I flew LAX to MKE I turned my phone a bunch of times while in the air to see if 1) I could surf the net & 2) if we would crash because my phone signals would mess witht the plains controls. Well I got a negatory on both!
    Yeah, you can't get a signal anyway and apparently cell phones go into analog mode looking for a signal and drain the battery (does the Treo have an analog mode?).

I can certainly state that these phones (esp any GSM and Nextels as well) DO INTERFERE WITH OUR COCKPITS. They specifically interfere with our headset communications with ATC and less with navigation issues.
    I heard about a plane crash in Bulgaria or someplace like that where they thought it was caused by a passenger answering his or her cellphone on takeoff. I don't know if it's true, I just heard it somewhere.
    Somewhere here I saw this image that someone had mocked up (I think it was a thread about the Spring start/shut down image) that said something like 'Device in Airplane safe mode' - looked really good.
    Cell phone don't interfere with anything in an aircraft. In fact you won't find a ban on cell phones directly.....

This was a law passed by the FCC, b/c IF you did get service b/c of your altitude and speed at which your covering the ground you may use multiple towers and tie up the system, and cause errors in your billing. ie. roaming charges. How true that part is I don't know.

But I do know this....

B/C the FAA and FCC both share an initial (F for federal) the FCC asked the FAA to inforce their rule. Well that's kinda hard to do, so the FAA made up there own rule. Hence FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation) :91.21

Sec. 91.21 Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
    operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the
    operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.
    registered civil aircraft:
    (1) Aircraft operated by an air carrier or commercial operator; or
    (2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
    (b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to:
    (1) Portable voice recorders;
    (2) Hearing aids;
    (3) Heart pacemakers;
    (4) Electric shavers; or
    (5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft
    has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or
    communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
    (c) In the case of an aircraft operated by an air carrier or commercial
    operator, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section
    shall be made by the air carrier or commercial operator of the aircraft on
    which the particular device is to be used.
    In the case of other aircraft, the
    determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the
    aircraft.

I added the emphasis to paragraph 5-c. to show you that it has a third level, now the FCC, FAA, and airline have rules against it.

I flown corporate know for 10 years. I've never had a problem with passengers using cell phone, note the tail end of paragraph 5-c.

Anyway that's that. The flight attendant is telling the truth when they say you can't have it on. Well at least kind of. All the airlines have make exceptions for computers, "walkman's", gameboys, ect. during flight and if you can convince them that it's just that then your good to go.

By the way, the FAA (FCC ) is currently looking into lifting the ban on cell phones in flight. I pretty sure cockpit technology is the same, at least in some aircraft, I wonder what else could have changed then????
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    I hope they don't lift the cellphone ban. It's bad enough to be on the ground when the door's still open and you've got some dingbat next to you yammering about how drunk she was the night before, but at least it has an ending point.

Also, I've heard that since the FAA has had this issue open for comment, people have been really rallying against it.

And considering the use of cell-phones as bomb detonators these days, I would think that they might reconsider it. I mean, I think it's pretty ridiculous I have to take off my shoes because of the shoe-bomber, but I think it's more likely that someone is going to use a cell phone to detonate a phone in a bag in the hold than try to light their shoes on fire.
    I've written this down on a notecard. Thanks. But what does it mean, "through 10000 call has been accomplished"?
    10,000 feet
    Thanks that makes more sense.

Is there a way to temporarily unscrew and remove the antenna without damaging anything? I suspect the problem could be avoided entirely if it just looked like a "Palm Pilot"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast