Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    According to the FAA: "There has never been an accident attributable to cell-phone use..."

The real issue is about $$$.
    They love the $3.99 a minute for the "airfones".
    The technology already exists, to allow cell phones to properly work onboard.
    When they figure out how to get their paws on the $$$ for "assisting" you to complete your communication needs, you can rest assured it will happen.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Just fly the right airlines (Delta & AA) and you will never have a problem. Although I guess having headphones connected to it might help

Worst comment I had was "be sure it is in flight mode". In many other cases the flight attendants have expressed amazement that I am listening to music and using a full size keyboard on my "phone"
    Interestingly, I was on an AA flight from DFW to PHX yesterday and they specifically said that "all cell phones and PDA phones that do NOT have an Airplane mode or another way to turn off the radio must remain off for the duration of the flight." Looks like, at least for those involved with my flight, they were very knowledgable of the differences.
    It's up to the airline. I've only ever had a problem once with an inexperienced flight attendant. They allow email devices (like Blackberries), so should allow Treos by the same token.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Serving your meal? I can't remember the last time anyone served me a meal on a flight. Peanuts and drink maybe!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom
    Serving your meal? I can't remember the last time anyone served me a meal on a flight. Peanuts and drink maybe!
    Just think about what the drink could be or have in it.
    Aside from the security concerns and cell phones used as detonators, I cannot imagine a bigger nightmare than being in a flight from NY to SanFran, and to have 200 people talking on their cell phones, conducting conference calls, each one screaming louder because they cannot hear over the person next to them or because they have a bad connection. I know on public transit in major citys in Japan, they have outlawed talking on cell phones because of noise, so everyone is just text messaging and IMing, or emailing to communicate.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G
    I cannot imagine a bigger nightmare than being in a flight from NY to SanFran, and to have 200 people talking on their cell phones, conducting conference calls, each one screaming louder because they cannot hear over the person next to them or because they have a bad connection.
    If you are jumping on a plane without an mp3 player and a good set of headphones, you're nuts. Be it jabbering people on their phones, or the annoying sound of the jet engines themselves...I always carry some music or a movie to drown out the unwanted noise. I think we should consider the use of cell phones (at least for IM and email) as an option on planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom
    I'm flying from Jersey to Fla. next week. They say we are getting a meal, we'll see.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    i fly every week on southwest and every so often i'll pull the treo out to play a game or compose an email and sure enough...the fa catches me and gives me the exact same line of questioning.

"is that a cell phone?"
    yes...but its not on right now.
    "you cant use it even if its not on"
    are you sure?...its also a pda...look it says "phone off"
    "im positive...refer to page blah blah in your magazine"

i really wish handspring would lobby to get their device on the list of approved devices but sounds like their hands are tied. i do like others have suggested and put my thumb over the antenna.

also...the whole cell phone being banned during flight issue. imo, its more about passenger attentiveness than cell phone interference. if there was an emergency and half the plane is yakkity yaking on their phones that might be a problem. i used to think it was the airlines dealings with phone companies for the inflight phones that used to be so prevalent on planes trying to thwart cell phone usage but that seems more and more far-fetched.

all i want to do is play tetris ffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I'm flying from Jersey to Fla. next week. They say we are getting a meal, we'll see.
    totally ot but midwest express has the old leather seats and serves a meal with wine and the whole shabangabang for every paid passenger. i miss the good ol' days. all they need to do now is bring back bars and coin opp. video games....
    I just hope if they ever allow cell phones to be used on planes that we have a divided airplane...cell phone section....no cell phone section. I cannot even imagine the air rage of sitting on a plane even for an hour with all that yacking going on!
    I have my first flight with my Treo coming up, and after reading this thread, I've decided on a strategy. I'm going to buy a hinged generic PDA case, that's large enough to close around the entire phone, but let you use it when its open. Then, I'm going to get a strip of fabric to go over the top of the phone, including the antenna. It will look like extra support. OK, now it looks like an ordinary PDA in a case. If for some reason, the disguise doesn't work, and I get question, such as "is that a cell phone", I'm going to evade the question and reply, "it's a Palm PDA". That's 100% true.

If *that* doesn't work, I'll put it away. I agree with a previous poster that there's no sense in making a big scene on an airplane. But I doubt it will get to that if I do my preparation properly.
    I hate this stupid policy that Southwest has that doesn't let you use your Treo even in phone off mode! It says so in their "complimentary" magazine and they seem to enforce it. I have been able a couple times to just cover the antenna, but you can't always watch for when the attendant is about to pass by and they almost always say you have to turn it totally off. It is ridiculous that someone with a laptop with WiFi and all can sit there and do whatever but me with my little Treo in phone off mode can't just watch a movie or listen to music or play a game on it! I agree people shouldn't use the phone on the plane, but with the phone off it should not be prohibited at all!
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Cell phones should be turned off on a plane, not because they are a hazard, but because it's simply annoying to hear people talk on their phones in a crowded plan.

In any event, the last flight I took asked that all electronic devices be turned off during takeoff and landing. This went beyond phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    In any event, the last flight I took asked that all electronic devices be turned off during takeoff and landing. This went beyond phones.
    This is the case with all airlines (that I know of).
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I have recently flown in Jet Blue and Us Air planes, I have not had a problem with my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    I hate this stupid policy that Southwest has that doesn't let you use your Treo even in phone off mode! It says so in their "complimentary" magazine and they seem to enforce it. I have been able a couple times to just cover the antenna, but you can't always watch for when the attendant is about to pass by and they almost always say you have to turn it totally off. It is ridiculous that someone with a laptop with WiFi and all can sit there and do whatever but me with my little Treo in phone off mode can't just watch a movie or listen to music or play a game on it! I agree people shouldn't use the phone on the plane, but with the phone off it should not be prohibited at all!
    I ran into the same problem, so the simple answer is - DON'T FLY SOUTHWEST
    Can you not survive for several hours without the phone, radio on or off? The problem appears to me not to be with the airlines...
    It's not a matter of survivability, it's a matter of passing the time.
    Some people like to pass the time on an airplane playing games or listening to music or both.
    If the airlines wont let them use the treo in that manner even with the radio off yet let them use ipod's and such there needs to be retraining or informing the airlines.
    The treo, with the phone off isn't transmitting any more radio waves when it's in your carry on, pocket or in your hand playing music.
    With the radio off, it's no more harmful than an ipod or laptop, certainly less harmful than a laptop with wireless or bluetooth on. Which I suspect the airlines aren't checking for.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast