1.    #1  
    Cingular is just driving me nuts with theses frigging data plans.

I first had the Media Works Package for $19.99, after reading the details and realized that it only included 3 MB of data I switched to Medianet Unlimited for $24.95.

After reading this article:

http://www.eweek.com/print_article2...a=146859,00.asp

I thought I would just login to my account and make sure Cingular had everything right.

Low and behold they are charging me for both of the frigging plans, 24.99 + 19.99. So I call in and the rep says she is takin caring of it.

So i do some more poking around and now I see a PDA Connect Unlimited plan for $39.99.

WTF?

Does anyone else feel like Cingular has a bunch of f***ing idiots working for them.

Here is what I envision happening. 6 months from now Cingular will hit me up for the difference between the Media NET Unlimited Paln and the PDA Connect Unlimited plan.

I can just see it happening.

"Sir, I don't know how you got on that plan but your phone is in the PDA category and we have to charge you for that plan retroactive to when you first got Media NET Unlimited"

I can see it happening.
  2.    #2  
    Even this Cingular Rep is under the impression that if you have a Treo you should be on the $39.99 plan.

http://www.eweek.com/talkback_detail...,00.asp?m=6017
    I had the PDA plan, and after reading the different threads here I caled Cingular and asked a rep if they knew the difference between the PDA plan and the 24.99 nlimited plan. She intelligently told me that "the PDA plan is for your PDA, and the 24.99 plan would not work." After telling her that I have a friend with a TREO 650 on the 24.99 plan and without having any issues, the other end of the line became stunningly silent. I was put on hold, then she came back on the phone, with her supervisor talking in the background. She stll did not have an answer for me, so I decided to cancel the PDA plan. Went online and added the 24.99 plan. I call Cingular again - yes I have nothing beter to do - to verify my features...you never know. Everything looked fine, and I added the 4.99 200 sms message plan to the account.

Of course, this was all going way too easy. I tried calling my cellphone from my land line, and I got he message "the number you are trying to reach is temporarily unavailable." So I placed another call to Cingular. Got a rep, who tried calling me on my cel, and of course it was working now. Anyway, when I asked him about my SMS not working, he tried sending me a message without success. Tried it from my wife's phone, no success. Tried sending one from the Cingular web page again, no success.

I AM GETTING SO FRUSTRATED WITH CINGULAR!
    Quote Originally Posted by freit5
    WTF?

Does anyone else feel like Cingular has a bunch of f***ing idiots working for them.
    Yes, we do.

Here is what I envision happening. 6 months from now Cingular will hit me up for the difference between the Media NET Unlimited Paln and the PDA Connect Unlimited plan.

I can just see it happening.

"Sir, I don't know how you got on that plan but your phone is in the PDA category and we have to charge you for that plan retroactive to when you first got Media NET Unlimited"
    LOL. Although you're imagining it, with Cingular I doubt nothing. In fact, any verbal kind of assurance you get when calling CS means absolutely nothing. The next time you get a bill, call CS they will deny that there's any notation on your account to that effect.

Well, Sprint's billing is not much better, but at least they're straight on data plan pricing, and cost.
    So this topic comes up about once a week. Here's the scoop:
    Media Works ($19.99) - old was unlimited, now 3MB limit.
    Media Net ($24.99) - Unlimited
    PDA Connect ($40) - Unlimited
    *Are all identical* as far as the technical end of it goes. The speed is the same (EDGE where avail.) and the network settings are the same (connecting to APN:wap.cingular)
    The only difference is what they bill you, otherwise they are all identical.

Even the capabilities are all the same. Some reps will tell you that Media Works and Media Net are for WAP only, but that's incorrect. You can do WAP, web, pop mail, imap mail, VPN (IPSec, PPTP won't work due to this being NAT.)

Cingular reps are just told that Media Net is for WAP phones and PDA plan is for PDAs. The PDA plan is really just for Business schmucks.

The only plan that gives you something technically different is one of the expensive Data Connect plans (priced for laptop use at $80 unlimited.) This gives you a real IP address (not NAT,), the network setting is different as you connect to isp.cingular. And I read on HoFO at one point in time that the data connect plans have more dedicated download time slots to handle higher demand (so potentially faster in congested situations.) But this makes sense because it's designed for higher bandwidth users.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/04/2005 at 02:16 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I was just in my local Cingular office this past week. I had some questions about my daughter's phone and while looking at my account, the rep. noticed that I was on the Media Works plan. He politely told me that Media Works was not the correct plan and began to change it. I told him not to change it as everytime that Cingular messes with my account, something else goes wrong. He said that that was not the first time that he had heard that. He told me that he would leave the account as it was as long as I was happy with everything. That's the first time that I have had a rep. that appeared to actually know what he was talking about.

It seems very clear that if you have F...ing idiots for reps, that they must me trained by F...ing idiots. I have spoken to many supervisors who have no clue as to what is going on.

Wake up, Cingular. You have a golden opportunity to take the lions-share of the wireless market.
    I have a comment about Cingular reps:
    The reps on the phone (611 or 800 number) have generally been quite competent in my experience. I've mostly only had a great experience here. The caveat being what they are told about the data plans (how they should sell them) vs the technical differences. It's not their fault, it's what the boss tells them. However, in defense of Cingular, I will say that almost all of my calls to them have been very very good.

Reps in the stores are generally clueless. Period. Some are great, many are bad. It's nite and day vs. the 800 # reps.

Reps on the phone have gotten worse since the AT&T merger. AT&T had eroded to terrible terrible terrible CS by the end. I think the old AT&T call center may be taking some of the Cingular Orange calls now and don't have the quality up yet. I say this only based on my last call to them which was uncannily similar to my previous experience with AT&Tws and it's 100% speculation.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    When I went to transfer my unlocked Treo from ATT to Cingular. I told the rep that I needed a SIM ending in A. He looked. It ended in A. He hadn't heard about the SIM thing, but was happy to know everything was cool.

So, I go home and log into my new My Cingular and I see that he has signed me up for Media Unlimited and Media Works. I call the 800 number. Apparently, even though I changed my mind from Media Works to Unlimited $24.99 plan. Media Works still showed up on my account with an end date of the day I activated the Cingular SIM (this was info from the gal on the phone).

So, I guess you should wait until the actual bill comes to see if you're really signed up for more than one plan because when you look at it online it doesn't have those start and end dates for something you don't have anymore or cancelled.
    I have the MediaNet Unlimited for $24.99 plan for my treo 650 and it works fine. I heard about the PDA Unlimited plan, but have never seen it posted on the Cingular Website as an option. Does it really exist??

I have a friend that works for Cingular/Corporate Account, and he assured me that the MediaNet Unlimited is all you need..... unless if you're one of the lucky ones that sign on for the MediaWorks few months ago, which offers Unlimited Data and 2000 Msgs for $19.99!!!... you're lucky!!!!
    The $40 unlimited plan is only refered to in 1 place on the web site that I've ever found. It's listed as the data plan for use with XPressMail.
    http://www.cingular.com/business/xpr..._personal_more
    By the way, you can use XPressMail personal edition with any data plan (Even media works or MediaNet.) Just register online and there's no additional charge. No need to call Cingular and add it, just register.
    This is one reason I say the $40 plan is just for Business Schmucks. I think it's historically sold through business sales because PDA/phones used to be thought of as only business tools, not consumer phones.
    Cingular just hasn't made the transition when it comes to the Treo.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)