1.    #1  
    Could anyone please breakdown a list of pro's and con's for using a Treo 600/650 compared to a phone combo like the Motorola v551 and a HP or Dell PPc? I'm switching from AT&T WS to Cingular and I have a chance to get some equipment as a nice discount (as a new customer) so I guess this is the time to do it.

Phone call quality is probably most important. And I really don't travel very much at all - in fact, I work at home, so I've never had the need to get a PDA. But this wireless internet intrigues me. I'd love to have a GPS in the car (which I think a PPc/PDA might be able to do). I'd also like to be able to check POP3 email when away from the computer, and most of all, I'd like to be able to get to Yahoo Yellow Pages and Yahoo Maps when driving, instead of always having to call my friends for directions and numbers. But I don't have a lot of contacts and appointments to manange.

Can you recommend to me which way to go? I actually have the Motorola v551 on order, but looking on line, I just saw the Treo600 for $199 with a new contract, which doesn't seem to be a bad price. The 650 is $349 and I'm not sure worth the extra $150, although I guess that's probably debatable.

Thanks in advance!
    Aaron
    One less device is the main advantage. If you have a PPC, you should be familiar with Outlook, since all PPCs are shipped with an Outlook CD. The Treo can import and sync with Outlook, so now you have all your contacts at your fingertips. No need to look up a contact on one device and then dial the other.

My own opinion is that just about any give away phone as at least equal in call quality (voice clarity, etc.) So it comes down to convenience. Also, you can browse the internet with a PPC/cell phone combo, again using two devices, or you can use one (Treo.) The browsing experience may be better on the PPC, especially if you're looking at the VGA Dell or HP flavors. But again, its convenience.

As to 600 v. 650...well you'll get plenty of responses to that from others
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I got the t 300 and then the t 600 mainly because I wanted to have e mail away from my desk. I use snapper and it is wonderful getting to my pop 3 account. Have to pay a bit of attention to set up, but once set up very good. Internet works fine. Phone good. As long as you fully charge once a day t 600 works well. I have sprint and a good data plan.

I saw ad for $199 t 600 today and thought that the T 600 can become the entry level treo and should sell well at that price. Doesn't do GPS or blue tooth but does a lot in one device.
  4.    #4  
    Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I went to the Cingular store again today and I think the Treo 650 is gonna be a little big for me for everyday use. Like I said, if I traveled for my job, I'd be all over one of these, but I don't think it makes too much sense for me. The v551 phone is pretty small (although I see the RAZR is down to $229 with a new contract). So I think I might go the route of the seperate devices. That way, when I want the internet, I can take the PPc/PDA with me. Otherwise, if I'm just going up to the store for groceries, I can just take the small phone.

If you guys have any suggestions on where to research PDA's, I'd be intersted in that, too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Aaron
    i hated carrying 2 devices....any device that packages everything you need in one device is the best option!
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  6. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I had a cellphone+pda for years, and I just got my Treo in mid-December. The best thing about a Treo is that I ALWAYS carried my cellphone but I didn't always have my pda with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by amheck
    That way, when I want the internet, I can take the PPc/PDA with me. Otherwise, if I'm just going up to the store for groceries, I can just take the small phone.
    ...which is what I did, except that when I was in the grocery store I would run into someone or get a call where I needed my pda. You can't underestimate the convenience of only having one gadget. Plus the Treo has that nice 1-touch sound off switch which cellphones never had, for when you're in meetings. The other bonus is when you're in boring meetings you can use your treo with an earbud to check messages while pretending to use your spreadsheet or look up a document.