Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Have any users of Chattermail experienced an increase in lost calls due to the "constant connection" of Chattermail? I love that my emails get delivered almost instantly, but I hope it is not at the expense of missed phone calls. Does anyone have any experience to share? Thank you.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  2. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Try posting the msg over on chatteremail.com. Marc is very responsive in the forums.

I run it, but don't receive enough calls to have noticed (only had the treo for a week thus far..)
    Yes. For Sprint, any times the green arrows are on (data being exchanged) calls go to voice mail. I find that when using the treo 650 for data so much, I miss many calls. But I barely use it for voice anyway, so it is not too much of a problem for me. Chatter will create an active data exchange when it is moving mail to and from the device.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  4. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    Yes. For Sprint, any times the green arrows are on (data being exchanged) calls go to voice mail.
    Does the GSM Treo not exhibit this behavior?
    Both GSM and CDMA treos exhibit this behavior.

Chatter keeps a connection open in the background socket (I think) which does not block any calls. Once a notification is received in the socket connection that an email is received, then the data connection is used to download the email. Only while the email is being downloaded or sent out is when calls are missed.

That's my understanding of it anyways.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Regarding CDMA carriers, Sprint has far less green arrow activity than VZW. This was the primary reason I upgraded from a T600 with VZW to a T650 with Sprint. I have found that I receive approximately 90% + of my calls with Sprint, unless I am in a poor coverage area. Marc Blank is working on new ways to improve Chatter's ability to NOT search for a data signal in a poor coverage area, thus allowing for a higher % of calls to ring through.
  7. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Marc Blank is working on new ways to improve Chatter's ability to NOT search for a data signal in a poor coverage area, thus allowing for a higher % of calls to ring through.
    He already did this in 1.0.3, released yesterday.